News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2021, 06:17:56 PM
(might have been Jake Bear, it was so long ago)

His last post was in 2015. I started the compilation thread in 2016.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2021, 06:25:11 PM
(might have been Jake Bear, it was so long ago)

His last post was in 2015. I started the compilation thread in 2016.
In addition to his various threads breaking out his plan by state, he used to spam every other thread with his plans too.  So if someone made a thread proposing to extend I-83 to Williamsport or Rochester, Fritz would chime in with "in my plan, I-83 would go...".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

He would take a quote from another thread over to his thread if he wanted to "discuss" how he'd "improve" on their plan. He still might do that.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2021, 12:34:18 AM
He would take a quote from another thread over to his thread if he wanted to "discuss" how he'd "improve" on their plan. He still might do that.

That's what he does now. Before he'd just barge into their thread and do it there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-55

Also of note is that FritzOwl has never posted outside of Fictional.

Might explain why so many of his plans are out of touch with the real world.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

mrsman

It seems that the forum has done a very good job of keeping Fritzowl under control.  Yes his plans are crazy.  But by keeping him in his own thread, he doesn't step out.  So he can do whatever he wants in his sandbox and the rest of us can go on with life.

If you want to engage him on his plans, you're feeding the troll and you are the problem (not him).

I also have to say that he doesn't appear to get angry despite the criticism, and even if we find his stuff annoying, he is abiding by forum rules, so I guess we have to keep him.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: mrsman on April 22, 2021, 09:52:43 PM
It seems that the forum has done a very good job of keeping Fritzowl under control.  Yes his plans are crazy.  But by keeping him in his own thread, he doesn't step out.  So he can do whatever he wants in his sandbox and the rest of us can go on with life.

If you want to engage him on his plans, you're feeding the troll and you are the problem (not him).

I also have to say that he doesn't appear to get angry despite the criticism, and even if we find his stuff annoying, he is abiding by forum rules, so I guess we have to keep him.
It's fun to joke around with him, it's almost like another Alanland thread. 
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

I haven't so much as seen him acknowledge hardly any criticism, much less become angry with anyone. In fact, I think he deserves some praise for maintaining his composure in light of everyone's disgust with his plans.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on April 23, 2021, 12:50:34 PM

I haven't so much as seen him acknowledge hardly any criticism, much less become angry with anyone. In fact, I think he deserves some praise for maintaining his composure in light of everyone's disgust with his plans.

In my plans, FritzOwl becomes highly radioactive and burns down at least one large city for one of his interstate proposal, but he gets stopped midway by The US Shield Force.

Several state highways were decommissioned in the final battle.

SkyPesos

Quote from: formulanone on April 26, 2021, 09:00:32 AM

In my plans, FritzOwl becomes highly radioactive and burns down at least one large city for one of his interstate proposal, but he gets stopped midway by The US Shield Force.

You forgot the "I think this is needed"  part of FritzOwl's copy paste  :D

formulanone

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 26, 2021, 09:04:48 AM

Those were his final words before getting hauled off to SCORNitentiary.

Roadgeekteen

And "I think all of US Blank should become an Interstate"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on April 26, 2021, 09:06:43 AM

not SCOURNitentiary?

kphoger

It bothers me that, when I search for a musical artist on YouTube, single songs sometimes appear in the "albums" section.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2021, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 26, 2021, 09:06:43 AM

not SCOURNitentiary?

I was missing the U, oops.

CoreySamson

When the Weather Channel's website is not updated at all regarding certain weather events (especially in right-leaning states, I've noticed). For example, tonight San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Oklahoma City all had insane hailstorms, but as of this post all the Weather Channel has on the subject is a short 1-minute video explaining the basics and not highlighting the danger these storms pose that's been in the sidebar all day.

I was also a little ticked the day after Earth Day and instead of reporting on the severe weather Texas was having (or the cat 5 typhoon near the Philippines, for that matter), they still had all the clickbaity Earth Day articles about the president's actions towards climate change. Nothing against the president, but the Weather Channel needs to focus on weather if they want to be a credible news source.

If not, I suggest they change their name to the Climate Channel.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US 89

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 28, 2021, 11:56:00 PM
When the Weather Channel's website is not updated at all regarding certain weather events (especially in right-leaning states, I've noticed). For example, tonight San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Oklahoma City all had insane hailstorms, but as of this post all the Weather Channel has on the subject is a short 1-minute video explaining the basics and not highlighting the danger these storms pose that's been in the sidebar all day.

I was also a little ticked the day after Earth Day and instead of reporting on the severe weather Texas was having (or the cat 5 typhoon near the Philippines, for that matter), they still had all the clickbaity Earth Day articles about the president's actions towards climate change. Nothing against the president, but the Weather Channel needs to focus on weather if they want to be a credible news source.

If not, I suggest they change their name to the Climate Channel.

Eh, I don't think their coverage or lack thereof is necessarily about political leaning as much as it is about population. They only care about what is happening in the Northeast, California, and sometimes Atlanta since that's where they're located. New Mexico is a blue state but good luck ever hearing about their weather. It's no different than ESPN who only ever cares about the Red Sox and Yankees when they talk about baseball.

That said, the Weather Channel stopped being about weather years ago. I don't mind some coverage on climate change since that is a real weather-related issue affecting us, but these days half of their news isn't even tangentially related. Like this. I mean, whales are cool, but how is it at all related to weather or the atmosphere? Oceans do affect weather but this kind of thing is really best saved for Animal Planet or something else about more general nature.

Scott5114

The Weather Channel is next to useless when it comes to severe weather even when they do cover it. We were caught in Ada once when a storm strong enough to get TWC's attention rolled in, and because the hospital we were at only had cable, TWC was what they had on. It was funny hearing the Atlanta-based meteorologist failing hard at pronouncing all the Chickasaw-derived toponyms, but it was pretty hard to find out what was really going on because it was clear he was just reading off the map and had no knowledge of the area or the typical behavior of Oklahoma storms.

If there's weather going on here, it's better to punch up the website of an Oklahoma City local news station– https://www.news9.com is my go-to out of habit but https://koco.com is good too–since they normally have live feeds from their weather departments streaming online.

Also, that storm hit Norman, not Oklahoma City. Went right over my house. :P

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 01:30:33 AM
Also, that storm hit Norman, not Oklahoma City. Went right over my house. :P

How many windows did you lose? Baseball size hail blowing at 60+ mph isn't exactly gentle when it lands on or blows into things.

Scott5114

Fortunately the west side of my house is brick and there's a fence about 5 feet from it, so as far as I know we have no damage. Of course, it's dark. We did hear one of our friends had a window break, but it was double-paned and only the outer pane broke.

hbelkins

As long as TWC continues to name winter storms and expect members of the general public to go along with it, they will continue to be worthless.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

When websites auto log you out even if you press the "remember me" button.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
*cough* College Board's site

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 06:18:44 PM
That was the one I was thinking about!

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:24:57 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 06:18:44 PM
That was the one I was thinking about!
College Board is an annoyance to me for the past 3 years. Glad I'll be done with them after this year's AP exams.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.