News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-68/US-220 interchange in Cumberland, MD

Started by algorerhythms, April 04, 2013, 03:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

There was an article on the Cumberland Times-News website this morning about the interchange redesign at Exit 42 on I-68. I haven't been back in western MD for a while, so I haven't seen the new interchange in person, and the article doesn't make it particularly clear what the design is.

Apparently, though, the SHA has received many complaints from truckers about the design. If I remember correctly, trucks weren't allowed on Exit 42 before the redesign, and it kind of surprises me that they were afterwards, because as far as I can tell the reason they weren't allowed to exit there -- the steep grade of the exit ramp -- wasn't addressed (though I may be wrong about that).

Anyone know more about this who's willing to correct me on the details?

froggie

From the article, sounds to me like they put in a roundabout at the ramp intersection.

BrianP

Quote from: froggie on April 04, 2013, 04:52:41 PM
From the article, sounds to me like they put in a roundabout at the ramp intersection.
From the picture it looks like a jug handle that they call a partial roundabout because it has an apron.   

froggie

Okay, I see now....it's not a roundabout.  Looks simply like a U-turn so that southbound drivers can now take the ramp to eastbound 68.

hbelkins

Hmmm. I'd never noticed anything there, but the only movements I've made are from I-68 east to US 220 north, and US 220 south to I-68 west.

Oh wait, never mind. After looking at the linked story, I see this is the exit for Keyser, WV. I was thinking about the exit for Bedford, Pa. Only movement I've done at this interchange is from I-68 west to US 220 south.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.