News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 07, 2013, 01:16:48 PM
Here is the Home Page. The I-49 South page illustrates their "regional vision" by expressing support for a new I-10 bridge in Lake Charles and a new link between Texas and Mississippi
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 08, 2013, 01:32:04 PM
this is LONG overdue. If they can at least get the segments through Lafayette on to Morgan City built, I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

This March 12 article reports that some representatives in communities along the corridor suspect that Lafayette's representatives do not fully support I-49 South:

Terrebonne Parish President Michel Claudet questioned whether Lafayette representatives are interested in the project, given that they already have I-49 and I-10 running through their borders.
St. Mary Parish President Paul Naquin echoed Claudet's concern.
"If we don't get Lafayette on board then we won't get anything, and I agree with (Claudet) wholeheartedly on that,"  Naquin said.
Allain said Lafayette is engaged, but a unified message is needed to draw more attention to the project.
"Let's see how serious Lafayette is once we put this coalition together,"  Allain said. "They seem to be engaged so far. This is the Energy Corridor. We've got the pipelines, we've got the infrastructure, we've got the offshore, we've got the population – we've got everything."

Is there substantial organized opposition to I-49 South in Lafayette?

JON30

I'm new to the forum but I wanted to give an update on the I-49 north construction.  I drove up LA1 today and saw a lot of progress.  They are pouring concrete for the on-ramp to I-49.  They were installing beams for the Old Mooringsport Rd(LA538) overpass and the overpass just north of there at Albany rd is complete. It looks like the only thing left to do is finish the overpass and pave from the overpass to LA1, including onramps.  I'm not sure about other parts of this section that are north of Albany road but most of that looks complete as well.

bassoon1986

I also saw on LA 1 a couple of weeks ago that lines are across the highway to install traffic lights when the time comes.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Grzrd on March 23, 2013, 11:56:10 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on March 07, 2013, 01:16:48 PM
Here is the Home Page. The I-49 South page illustrates their "regional vision" by expressing support for a new I-10 bridge in Lake Charles and a new link between Texas and Mississippi
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 08, 2013, 01:32:04 PM
this is LONG overdue. If they can at least get the segments through Lafayette on to Morgan City built, I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

This March 12 article reports that some representatives in communities along the corridor suspect that Lafayette's representatives do not fully support I-49 South:

Terrebonne Parish President Michel Claudet questioned whether Lafayette representatives are interested in the project, given that they already have I-49 and I-10 running through their borders.
St. Mary Parish President Paul Naquin echoed Claudet's concern.
"If we don't get Lafayette on board then we won't get anything, and I agree with (Claudet) wholeheartedly on that,"  Naquin said.
Allain said Lafayette is engaged, but a unified message is needed to draw more attention to the project.
"Let's see how serious Lafayette is once we put this coalition together,"  Allain said. "They seem to be engaged so far. This is the Energy Corridor. We've got the pipelines, we've got the infrastructure, we've got the offshore, we've got the population – we've got everything."

Not so much opposition as it has been so long of a wait, because the engineering studies that should have followed NEPA approval have been delayed due to a dispute between LADOTD and the Lafayette Consolidated Gov't over the degree of spacing between the elevated structures that would cross near downtown. The city wanted more open space between the freeway structures to allow for a more open environment, but the state and FHWA engineers hadn't adjusted that for a six-lane freeway..and they had to readjust the ROW takings slightly to compensate. Plus, while funding for corridor preservation continues, everything is on hold until LADOTD completes their toll study of funding the remainder of I-49 South.

The only organized opposition I see is from the neighborhoods adjorning the ROW, including Sterling Grove; they were the ones most pushing the Teche Ridge eastern bypass through St. Martin Parish back in 2001-2003. Most politicos and folk, though, still favor the project as is.

Maybe Mr. Naquin would like to actually get the opinion of Lafayette officials before shooting his mouth off about "lack of support" for I-49 South??

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 29, 2013, 09:12:35 AM
I also saw on LA 1 a couple of weeks ago that lines are across the highway to install traffic lights when the time comes.

I noticed the same thing on US 71 north of Gilliam.

LA 538 is still closed west of US 71 (didn't have time to check construction), as is LA 169 west of 71 at Dixie.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 29, 2013, 09:43:53 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on March 23, 2013, 11:56:10 PM
Not so much opposition as it has been so long of a wait .... The only organized opposition I see is from the neighborhoods adjorning the ROW...

Thanks for the Lafayette background.

Quote from: Grzrd on March 11, 2013, 12:51:45 PM
I am guessing the opening will be in late summer because it looks like an upgrade project for LA 168 in Caddo Parish is scheduled to be let on May 8... I assume LaDOTD intends to complete the LA 168 project before it opens Segments B-I of I-49 North, which leads to my guess of a late summer opening.

It looks like I was wrong with my guess insofar as using LA 168 as an indicator. After noticing that the LA 168 in Caddo Parish project has been moved back to August 28, I emailed LaDOTD and asked if the delay indicated a later opening for I-49 North.  Their answer indicates that they are still looking at a "late summer to early fall" opening:

Approximately five miles remain to be constructed of the new 36-mile interstate system north of Shreveport to the Arkansas border.  DOTD anticipates opening 31 miles of I-49, between La. 1 to U.S. 71, by late summer to early fall of 2013. In December of 2012, Segment J (Martin Luther King Blvd. to La. 1) went to bid for $49.9 million and construction will begin in April of 2013 .... So to be more specific...at this time I do not anticipate any delays.

It is interesting that 26 of the 31 miles have been completed.

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 24, 2013, 08:06:37 PM
Second, can the traffic on existing I-220 handle the increase of through traffic from I-49 going N/S, or will I-220 and LA 3132 have to be widened to six lanes?? If the latter, then there goes any cost savings.
Third, you still have the issue of increased traffic crossing Cross Lake, which is Sheveport/Bossier City's sole source of drinking water. Would the folks promoting this "bypass" be willing to pay for the costs of contamination if a Haz-Mat accident occured along that route and traffic had to be detoured along "existing" I-49 and local streets (or I-49/I-20/Spring-Market Streets)

This TV video report discusses the potential impact of the No Build Alternative on I-220, Cross Lake, and LA 3132:

The fifth option is to leave I 49 alone and improve I-220 and the interloop just as it is.
"Part of that facility is 20 years old. Some of it doesn't meet the current highway standards," Kent Rogers Executive Director NWLA Council of Governments said.
A major concern could be the Cross Lake bridge.
"It's not just as simple as adding a couple lanes. That's our drinking water below," Rogers said.

Plus a large part of the Interloop isn't up to highway standards and there is the potential to lose Linwood at 3132.
Leaving the map the way it is will be a very expensive option.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Grzrd on April 05, 2013, 10:07:00 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 24, 2013, 08:06:37 PM
Second, can the traffic on existing I-220 handle the increase of through traffic from I-49 going N/S, or will I-220 and LA 3132 have to be widened to six lanes?? If the latter, then there goes any cost savings.
Third, you still have the issue of increased traffic crossing Cross Lake, which is Sheveport/Bossier City's sole source of drinking water. Would the folks promoting this "bypass" be willing to pay for the costs of contamination if a Haz-Mat accident occured along that route and traffic had to be detoured along "existing" I-49 and local streets (or I-49/I-20/Spring-Market Streets)

This TV video report discusses the potential impact of the No Build Alternative on I-220, Cross Lake, and LA 3132:

The fifth option is to leave I 49 alone and improve I-220 and the interloop just as it is.
"Part of that facility is 20 years old. Some of it doesn't meet the current highway standards," Kent Rogers Executive Director NWLA Council of Governments said.
A major concern could be the Cross Lake bridge.
"It's not just as simple as adding a couple lanes. That's our drinking water below," Rogers said.

Plus a large part of the Interloop isn't up to highway standards and there is the potential to lose Linwood at 3132.
Leaving the map the way it is will be a very expensive option.

I didn't think about losing the Linwood Ave. exit if they chose the no build option and had to beef up the Inner Loop, but they'd have to. It's a very close interchange to I-49 in both directions. I hate driving east on LA 3132 to get to I-49 south; as soon as the on ramp lane from Linwood shows up you have to scoot over fast to make it to 49. At least there isn't a lot of traffic coming from that exit.

As far as the rest of that becoming interstate standard, I'm sure the tight curve on I-220 south just before I-20 in West Shreveport is a big part. There are caution curve signs that suggest 45 mph I think. I would compare it to what I've seen pictures of on I-59 in Laurel, MS, although I haven't driven that one personally.

I really think they should just choose the least invasive of the ICC paths through those neighborhoods. It would take a lot, and I mean A LOT for those neighborhoods to come back. Other than some churches and community centers, most of that area is run down or boarded up houses as seen in the video. I-49 can't make it that much worse than it already is.

Anthony_JK

New article today in the Lafayette Daily Advertiser updating progress on securing funding for the segment of I-49 South through Lafayette:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013304060309

The article also features a business owner who once led the opposition to the Evangeline Thruway corridor in favor of the eastern Teche Ridge alignment through St. Martin Parish, but who has now ceded ground to reality and put his business up for sale. Strangely enough, he still has hopes that Teche Redge can be built along with I-49, probably as part of a full Lafayette loop.

For a decade or so, Ed Bulliard fought efforts to extend Interstate 49 through Lafayette along a path that roughly mirrors the Evangeline Thruway.

Bulliard was part of a vocal coalition that instead supported extending I-49 through St. Martin Parish along the Teche Ridge route.

But Bulliard, now 78 years old, is calling it quits. He put a "For Sale" sign in front of the business he's operated for 46 years on Evangeline Thruway and is awaiting an appraisal and offer from the government to buy his property.

"We're not being forced out, but we're between a rock and a hard place," he said recently.

[...]

In the meantime, property owners such as Bulliard are watching and waiting.

He still has some of his Teche Ridge signs in his business, pushing the other option. And he's watched some of his friends move some of his businesses out of the neighborhood.

But he still holds out hope that they'll build the Teche Ridge and I-49.

"Two roads are better than one," he said.

JON30

The following was posted on the NLCOG website today.

"LATEST NEWS  April 9, 2013

I-49 North Section J ribbon cutting ceremony

LaDOTD invites you to a groundbreaking ceremony to announce the start of construction for I-49 North Segment J - Martin Luther King Boulevard to LA 1:

Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:30 a.m.
Christian Faith Worship Center Church International
5201 North Market Street
Shreveport, LA

Contact Susan Stafford at susan.stafford@la.gov or at 318-549-8402 for more information."

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 21, 2013, 06:34:07 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 19, 2012, 04:28:38 PM
One more mile (Segment K) to I-220.  :nod:
It's getting closer... The March 28 Agenda for the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") Transportation Policy Committee includes an update presentation on the I-49 North/I-220 interchange by AFJM

Received an email from NLCOG today with info from the AFJM presentation:

Here's how the interchange will look if the Inner City Connector is built:

And here's a look at the I-49/MLK interchange:

Quote from: Grzrd on April 02, 2013, 02:40:19 PM
DOTD anticipates opening 31 miles of I-49, between La. 1 to U.S. 71, by late summer to early fall of 2013.

Unfortunately, this slide suggests that the opening may not occur until winter:

US71

Quote from: JON30 on April 09, 2013, 04:00:34 PM

LaDOTD invites you to a groundbreaking ceremony to announce the start of construction for I-49 North Segment J - Martin Luther King Boulevard to LA 1:

Christian Faith Worship Center Church International
5201 North Market Street
Shreveport, LA

Contact Susan Stafford at susan.stafford@la.gov or at 318-549-8402 for more information."

So this is a Groundbreaking ceremony? I saw Ribbon Cutting and was thinking the road was being open to traffic.  :hmmm:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

This article reports that Governor Jindal's Interstate 49 South Feasibility and Funding Task Force has recommended that I-49 shields be installed from the Superdome to the Westbank Expressway:

Jefferson Parish President John Young Jr. requested a commitment from the task force to push for completion of I-49 to the Port of Orleans, not just to I-310 on the west bank.
One goal for the interstate is economic development and that means completing the route to the port, Bill Fenstermaker of Lafayette said.
Part of that route already is complete and can be designated as I-49 with signs, Kam Movassaghi of Lafayette, a former secretary of the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development, said.
The task force voted unanimously to ask Gov. Bobby Jindal to start the process with federal highway officials to install signs from the Superdome to the Westbank Expressway designating the roadway as I-49.

Quote from: JON30 on April 09, 2013, 04:00:34 PM

This TV video report about the Segment J ground breaking ceremony indicates that the Segment K letting will be in December:

Bids for the last section "K" ... will start in December.

ShawnP

My question is how much will the I-49 North folks help the I-49 South folks once I-49 North is complete (I have no doubt that the inter city connector will be done)? Completing I-49 in Arkansas and Southern Louisiana would help Shreveport and area. Not overly familiar with Louisiana politics but I do sense a bit of rancor between the two areas but I-49 should unite them into a common purpose.

roadman65

Quote from: ShawnP on April 13, 2013, 10:08:36 AM
My question is how much will the I-49 North folks help the I-49 South folks once I-49 North is complete (I have no doubt that the inter city connector will be done)? Completing I-49 in Arkansas and Southern Louisiana would help Shreveport and area. Not overly familiar with Louisiana politics but I do sense a bit of rancor between the two areas but I-49 should unite them into a common purpose.
I noticed that as well.  Even in culture, Northern LA is different from Southern LA, just as California is separated between Northern and Southern.  I have been to Houma a couple of times, and when I visited Shreveport it did not seem like I was in the same state.  For some apparent reason, that I could not explain, it felt much different.  Now that you mention this, maybe I sense what you feel.

Even in Texas, as big as it is, you can travel over 220 miles from Dallas to Houston, you do not get the feeling you are in another state.  Heck in even in South Texas where you have Mexican Americans over the cowboy types that the west was founded to the north, its even seems the same.  Brownsville, Laredo, Corpus Christi which ever city, it is all the same Texas as  the rest including San Antonio and even the Panhandle.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Anthony_JK

Personally, I do think that once Shreveport does get the funds for the I-49 ICC, I do think they will be more generous with supporting finishing I-49 South. Considering that they got their section built for free, while I-49 South will probably have to be tolled to even get finished within the next 2 generations, they should count their blessings.

I do like the fact that the Acadiana delegation is now pushing hard for the full completion to the Westbank Expressway, not truncating it at I-310 as some reports had suggested. And, dropping actual I-49 shields on the WBX isn't a bad sign of commitment, either.

roadman65

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 13, 2013, 12:41:20 PM
Personally, I do think that once Shreveport does get the funds for the I-49 ICC, I do think they will be more generous with supporting finishing I-49 South. Considering that they got their section built for free, while I-49 South will probably have to be tolled to even get finished within the next 2 generations, they should count their blessings.

I do like the fact that the Acadiana delegation is now pushing hard for the full completion to the Westbank Expressway, not truncating it at I-310 as some reports had suggested. And, dropping actual I-49 shields on the WBX isn't a bad sign of commitment, either.
Ditto there.  I  even think signing the West Bank Expressway as I- 49 would get locals charged up about the future project and get those politicians to get off their butts and do something!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ShawnP

Agree that it is not fair that the northern end will be built toll free but the southern end will get tolls. Does Louisiana do GARVEE bonds? Putting I-49 on the signs gives folks visual proof that I-49 is here already for southern Louisiana. My biggest want for I-49 is better evacuation routing for hurricanes. Not a matter of if a another hurricane will hit Louisiana but when. I-49 upgrades could help get ten of thousands more folks out of the way of a hurricane.

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 13, 2013, 12:41:20 PM

Anthony_JK

More on the push for I-49 South, this time from the Acadiana bureau of the Baton Rouge Advocate:

http://theadvocate.com/home/5691777-125/more-talks-friday-in-i-49

More talks Friday in I-49 South project

LAFAYETTE - A task force dedicated to finding money to complete I-49 South from Lafayette to New Orleans met Friday after a two-year hiatus, spurred by what Lafayette City-Parish President Joey Durel said seems to be a renewed interest in the project.

Durel, chairman of the state task force, said he had held off convening the group because the road project seemed so far from becoming a reality that, "I didn't know if there was a purpose for us to meet."

He noted Friday that there have been encouraging developments in recent months, despite the fact that there has yet to be any funding source identified for a project estimated at more than $5 billion.

The state Department of Transportation and Development is planning to start the design phase of the mostly elevated 6-mile stretch through Lafayette that would roughly follow Evangeline Thruway.

DOTD is also studying the feasibility of using tolls to partially fund I-49 South, and the agency plans to report its finding to legislators in August, said Bill Oliver, the DOTD administrator for the Acadiana region.

Durel said a frank discussion about tolls is critical to moving the project forward because prospects are dim for federal or state funding.

State Sen. Bret Allain, R-Franklin, said business leaders and elected officials along the I-49 South corridor must make the project the region's top priority if it has any chance of securing major funding.

Allain is the key figure behind the recently formed I-49 South Coalition, which is working to pull together politicians, business and community leaders, and anyone else who has an interest in seeing I-49 South built.

"We are trying to create a big enough coalition that, politically, it can't be ignored," Allain said. "... The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we want to create something that squeaks pretty loud."

The renewed push to complete I-49 South could also find a more receptive audience in the New Orleans area than past efforts, said Jefferson Parish President John Young Jr., who attended Friday's task force meeting.

"My feeling is that the mood has changed," he said.

The completion of I-49 South involves mainly upgrades along U.S. 90.

Several smaller projects to build new intersections and frontage roads have brought portions of U.S. 90 up to interstate standards, but major obstacles remain, including the elevated stretch through Lafayette and final leg into the New Orleans area.

Strangely enough, the Advocate article didn't mention the proposal to drop I-49 shields on the elevated Westbank Expressway segment...yet that could explain the new levels of excitement from the greater NOLA area.

Plus...the news that design work will soon recommence on the I-49 Connector segment is a good sign. Will that include the CSS/Joint Use study as well, I wonder?

apjung

pctech

Why do they want to elevate the section in Lafayette? (from 1-10 to the airport) Noise? Appearance? Access thru the neighborhoods? 

Mark

ShawnP

I was thinking it was for flooding concerns but I will defer to the locals.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: pctech on April 15, 2013, 10:22:27 AM
Why do they want to elevate the section in Lafayette? (from 1-10 to the airport) Noise? Appearance? Access thru the neighborhoods? 

Mark

The elevated segments run in the "median" between the one-way couplet of the Evangeline Thruway; that's mostly to maintain access to/from both sides of the proposed freeway. The middle section recurves briefly away from and then back to the Evangeline Thruway to serve the downtown area; that segment will be mostly at-grade, but with underpasses serving all the major cross streets (and parallel grade seperations at the adjacent rail crossings at Johnston and Second/Third Street interchanges.

pctech

The existing Evangeline thru-way would became the service roads for the freeway?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: pctech on April 15, 2013, 01:14:32 PM
The existing Evangeline thru-way would became the service roads for the freeway?

Yes, that is correct....The Thruway would serve local traffic while the Connector freeway would handle the main through traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.