News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

I-75 south heads east and curves back to south. I-49 south would go east, north and then curve 270 degrees to the west. There are no valid reasons to not sign it east-west between Lafayette and NO.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 10, 2013, 05:51:19 AM
Quote from: lamsalfl on November 10, 2013, 05:22:01 AM
Mile 0 in downtown New Orleans, whereas Mile 150 is around Lafayette, and mile 400 around the Arkansas State Line.   Everything from NO to Laf is signed E/W, and (Laf) I-10 to ARK is signed N/S.  Done.  The little rulebook will get thrown out as has been done in other parts of the country like I-69.  It's not that difficult and excruciating. 

Again, if you sign I-49 South from Milepost 0 (NOLA) to Milepost 143 (I-10/I-49 interchange in Lafayette) you'd be going WEST, in direct OPPOSITE to how mileposts would be signed usually (ascending from W to E).

It's not particularly a big deal anyway, as long as the thing gets built.

Exactly. It's not a big deal. You have seemed hung up on explaining this little rule violation, which others are aware of but willing to overlook, and which NE2 asserts is not even so strict as to be violated by this particular proposal.  See also: I-90 segment of NYS Thruway.  It's been done already, and the only people to question it have been roadgeeks.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

lamsalfl

Right.  I understand the rule, but I'm also willing to overlook it as logic should prevail and not a technicality.  The traveling public couldn't give a crap either.  I'm sure most people don't even realize the numbering grid of the Interstate routes.

vtk

To be fair, signing this portion of I-49 as east—west has the downside of someone getting on in the middle of that segment and saying, "But which way to Shreveport?"   Of course, that question could be answered with a quick glance at even the simplest Louisiana map showing I-49...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

JON30

I-49 set to open up "an 18-mile stretch from North Market Street to Highway 71 in between Hosston and Gilliam" before the end of November.  No date has been announced. 
http://www.ktbs.com/story/23950816/new-section-of-i-49-to-open-this-month

bassoon1986

And we have signs!! I really like the style of the digits in that picture from the article. Most of the time they are tall and too squashed within the shield.

agentsteel53

no state name?  I thought they were putting those up regularly now in Louisiana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

txstateends

Quote from: JON30 on November 13, 2013, 02:48:46 PM
I-49 set to open up "an 18-mile stretch from North Market Street to Highway 71 in between Hosston and Gilliam" before the end of November.  No date has been announced. 

>ugh< And they're *still* saying "Canada" and "1700 miles" when referring to the completed I-49.  Obviously no roadfans work at Channel 3....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Gordon

US71

Quote from: txstateends on November 13, 2013, 07:22:37 PM

>ugh< And they're *still* saying "Canada" and "1700 miles" when referring to the completed I-49.  Obviously no roadfans work at Channel 3....

And "Palm to Pines" . That was Jefferson Highway's slogan.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bassoon1986

Quote from: Gordon on November 14, 2013, 11:37:22 PM
Here is a good article from the Shreveport times about I 49.http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20131114/NEWS01/131114022/I-49-projects-progressing-northern-sections-opening?nclick_check=1

2 questions I have from this article:

"The final segment of I-49 North will be a three-tiered high-rise interchange at Interstate 20 that's estimated to cost $150 million."
Is that I-20 or I-220? I-220 @ I-49 will be the last segment for the main I-49 north project. If it really is meant to be I-20 as she says, that's assuming the downtown segment will be constructed and not the LA 3132 option. Plus, 1/2 of that interchange is already there.

"A section of the roadway in St. Mary around Franklin is designated I-49 with a 70-mph speed limit."
What?? That's the first I've heard of this! Who wants to take a picture?? I feel like it's actually signed because she followed that statement by saying the other sections have I-49 corridor signs and a 65 mph speed limit...

Henry

Quote from: txstateends on November 13, 2013, 07:22:37 PM

Could it be that they like to pretend that I-29 does not exist?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Henry on November 15, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Could it be that they like to pretend that I-29 does not exist?

or they are thinking of 49-29 as a single logical corridor.  it is, as US71 mentioned, the approximate routing of the old Jefferson Highway.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 13, 2013, 07:05:31 PM
no state name?  I thought they were putting those up regularly now in Louisiana.

I'm hoping to be at the ribbon cutting (supposedly sometime this month), so perhaps I will have a chance to look around and see if any are named.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 15, 2013, 11:02:36 AM
"A section of the roadway in St. Mary around Franklin is designated I-49 with a 70-mph speed limit."
What?? That's the first I've heard of this! Who wants to take a picture?? I feel like it's actually signed because she followed that statement by saying the other sections have I-49 corridor signs and a 65 mph speed limit...

Wouldn't LaDOTD have to submit an application to AASHTO/FHWA and obtain approval from the Route Numbering subcommittee and FHWA before installing I-49 signs (as opposed to "Future I-49" or "I-49 corridor")? I don't recall anything like this being on AASHTO's recent dockets. (I know that AASHTO approved the corridor as Future I-49 but that is only a preliminary step.)

Articles get stuff like this wrong all the time. I'd look for some official confirmation before taking a newspaper article's word for it.

Gordon

Hopefully they will decide on the Shreveport I 49 connector by April so when the interchange at I 220 is let in April it will be planned for the right path. The LA 3132 path looks like more cost and a long way around.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 27, 2013, 12:39:01 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 27, 2013, 12:21:13 AM
http://www.iberianet.com/news/crossing-paths-homes-could-be-razed-for-overpass/article_30f65ed6-d0f9-11e1-98f3-0019
Of the three options being considered for the project, the one likely to be pursued involves raising U.S. 90 over Louisiana 318, which is estimated to cost about $47 million and would warrant the razing of 29 homes and seven mobile homes – including Caribbean Winds – to make way for the highway's on/off ramps.
The solution, Bourg said, is to relocate the on/off ramps on the opposite side of Louisiana 318, where there are no homes, only sugar cane fields ....

This article reports that the environmental assessement has been completed and the Caribbean Winds subdivision will be spared:

SMHA President Lorna Bourg said the Caribbean Winds subdivision, located just off of U.S. 90 near Louisiana 318, would be averted by the plan DOTD chose after hearings last year.
She said instead of having a road go through Caribbean Winds, which could have affected 12 homes, the road will be constructed behind the subdivision ....
DOTD spokeswoman Deidra Druilet said the department has completed the environmental process for the project and just issued a notice to begin survey work. Once survey work is completed – possibly by summer – design work will begin. Druilet said DOTD expects to complete design by the end of 2014  ....
The total anticipated cost for the project is $48.9 million ....
State Sen. Bret Allain, R-Franklin, said the overpass project is just one more piece to the puzzle.
"This project, although we keep trying to push it along, the pieces are coming together in a timely fashion,"  he said. "With the completion of 318, we'll be interstate compliant from the outskirts of Lafayette all the way to the Calumet Cut in St. Mary Parish."

A link to the Environmental Assessment - Finding of No Significant Impact can be found here.

Anthony_JK

Someone might want to relay to LaDOTD that the EA/FONSI document doesn't load properly, and when I attempted to download the doc to my personal files, it turned up broken.

In any case, one more small step forward for I-49 South.

US71

Report from the field:

I-49 is complete from LA 1 to the LA/AR State Line. It is only signed between LA 1 and US 71 north of Gilliam (which is the section that will be opening soon).  Hopefully, I'll have at least a few photos up in the next day or two.

Oh, and sorry, Jake: No state-named I-49 shields.

mcdonaat

If you want state-named shields, just head south to Alexandria. We have plenty!

Nokia Lumia 520

mcdonaat

If you want state-named shields, just head south to Alexandria. We have plenty!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 09, 2013, 02:02:39 PM
Despite the beginning of the environmental process for the I-10 bridge and the positive ongoing meetings regarding the I-49 South Corridor, the Lafayette-Lake Charles "super region" is still getting its act together, as reported in this Sept. 14 article

This article reports that a second super region, Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Houma-Thibodaux, appears to have strong support for I-49 South from its Baton Rouge contingent:

Houma-Thibodaux is increasingly being included in state economic development groups' efforts to unify southeast Louisiana into a cohesive "super region"  to be used in promotional and policy making decisions ....
Baton Rouge Economic Council President Roger Ogden, who formerly chaired the super-region committee, said that completing the long-stagnant Interstate 49 project is among the priorities. Advocates want to upgrade U.S. 90 between Lafayette and New Orleans into an I-49 corridor. That would connect Lafayette to New Orleans through Houma-Thibodaux.
Between 2004 and 2011, highway traffic between the three areas increased 11 percent. In 2004, about 8,000 people commuted daily between Houma-Thibodaux and New Orleans for business purposes. In 2010, the number was more than 11,000 ....

The Baton Rouge support for I-49 South is consistent with LaDOTD partially describing I-49 South as a Baton Rouge Bypass:

The extension of I-49 will provide ... a bypass around Baton Rouge for east-west traffic on I-10 ....

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on November 18, 2013, 01:30:16 PM
The Baton Rouge support for I-49 South is consistent with LaDOTD partially describing I-49 South as a Baton Rouge Bypass:

The extension of I-49 will provide ... a bypass around Baton Rouge for east-west traffic on I-10 ....

But you would then not be able to access I-12 to bypass New Orleans, so you would either choose I-49 to I-10 and bypass BR, or choose I-10 to I-12 to bypass NO. What if you want to bypass BOTH Baton Rouge and New Orleans?

It's another argument for signing this as I-10 and signing current I-10 west of BR as an I-12 extension, but that horse has been beaten to death on here by now.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 16, 2013, 02:10:51 AM
Someone might want to relay to LaDOTD that the EA/FONSI document doesn't load properly, and when I attempted to download the doc to my personal files, it turned up broken.

I think that they have fixed the problem.  Alternative E is the Preferred Alternative (page 18/409 of pdf):

Alternative E (see Figure ES-4 above) was a combination of both Alternative B and Alternative D, but with fewer overall residential impacts. Since Alternative E achieved all of the positive benefits of either Alternative B or Alternative D but with less residential relocations, it was identified as the preferred alternative by FHWA and LADOTD. Alternative E is being added into this Preliminary Final EA for both citizens and agencies to have an opportunity to see the new build alternative compared against Alternative B and Alternative D. The selection of the preferred alternative took into consideration the environmental effects of each alternative, cost, public opinion, and a number of other factors.

Figure ES-4:

edit

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 18, 2013, 01:45:51 PM
But you would then not be able to access I-12 to bypass New Orleans, so you would either choose I-49 to I-10 and bypass BR, or choose I-10 to I-12 to bypass NO. What if you want to bypass BOTH Baton Rouge and New Orleans?

You perfectly described an Alanland Loop.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.