News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 18, 2013, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 18, 2013, 01:30:16 PM
The Baton Rouge support for I-49 South is consistent with LaDOTD partially describing I-49 South as a Baton Rouge Bypass:

The extension of I-49 will provide ... a bypass around Baton Rouge for east-west traffic on I-10 ....

But you would then not be able to access I-12 to bypass New Orleans, so you would either choose I-49 to I-10 and bypass BR, or choose I-10 to I-12 to bypass NO. What if you want to bypass BOTH Baton Rouge and New Orleans?

It's another argument for signing this as I-10 and signing current I-10 west of BR as an I-12 extension, but that horse has been beaten to death on here by now.

It may also be a realization by Baton Rouge officials that they're not going to get any improvements on I-10 through that city or a loop anytime soon, and that backing I-49 South as their "bypass" might be the lesser evil.

UptownRoadGeek

But you would then not be able to access I-12 to bypass New Orleans, so you would either choose I-49 to I-10 and bypass BR, or choose I-10 to I-12 to bypass NO. What if you want to bypass BOTH Baton Rouge and New Orleans?

The route's purpose as a bypass would be to serve the traffic originates or ends in New Orleans. This thru traffic makes up a significant chunk of Baton Rouge's congestion without contributing anything to the local area. It's even worse during large events in New Orleans or when ever there is a storm threat and 80% of the Southshore decides to evacuate to Houston, when there is plenty of places to go up the I-55 and I-59 corridors. Want to bypass both then US 190 will probably be your best bet.

Bobby5280

The benefits of I-49 as a bypass for traffic going to/from New Orleans are somewhat limited.

If I was driving on I-10 from, say for instance, Houston and headed to a point on or south of the Westbank, such as Westwego, Grenta or Belle Chasse then using I-49 South from Lafayette to the Westbank Expressway might make sense. This is especially true if any rush hour traffic were involved. The driving distance might be slightly longer, but there might be a net savings of time gained by avoiding traffic.

If I was driving from Houston to a point in New Orleans itself or a suburb like Kenner I would probably stay on I-10, going through Baton Rouge. Taking I-49 would be well out of the way.

Long distance through traffic going to places like Texas, Florida, California, etc. will keep going through Baton Rouge and bypassing New Orleans entirely via I-12.

Grzrd

LaDOTD's I-49 North Facebook page has five photos of an Arkansas work crew "connecting" I-49 North with I-49 in Arkansas on November 14.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 19, 2013, 02:57:00 PM
The benefits of I-49 as a bypass for traffic going to/from New Orleans are somewhat limited.

If I was driving on I-10 from, say for instance, Houston and headed to a point on or south of the Westbank, such as Westwego, Grenta or Belle Chasse then using I-49 South from Lafayette to the Westbank Expressway might make sense. This is especially true if any rush hour traffic were involved. The driving distance might be slightly longer, but there might be a net savings of time gained by avoiding traffic.

If I was driving from Houston to a point in New Orleans itself or a suburb like Kenner I would probably stay on I-10, going through Baton Rouge. Taking I-49 would be well out of the way.

Long distance through traffic going to places like Texas, Florida, California, etc. will keep going through Baton Rouge and bypassing New Orleans entirely via I-12.

Of course people from the West Jeff suburbs and the Westbank portion of N.O. are going to consider I-49 more convenient. Now if you consider I-310 (which still has a good chance of carrying I-49 instead) and get public awareness of the route out it really won't be that far out of the way for East Jeff and Eastbank N.O. at all. There are plenty of people who schedule their trips west around BR's traffic versus traffic in leaving/entering the city. Remove the fear of traveling "back roads" and people may not have a problem. Removing BR and the Atchafalaya Basin from the equation is killing 2 birds with 1 stone. The key is public awareness.

Brandon

The Baton Rouge support for I-49 South is consistent with LaDOTD partially describing I-49 South as a Baton Rouge Bypass:

The extension of I-49 will provide ... a bypass around Baton Rouge for east-west traffic on I-10 ....

I-10 to I-49 south to I-310 north.  I-10 west to I-55 to I-12 east.  :bigass:

Now, would any really use it?  No flipping idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

apjung

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2013, 05:52:37 PM

I-10 to I-49 south to I-310 north.  I-10 west to I-55 to I-12 east.  :bigass:

Now, would any really use it?  No flipping idea.

LMAO!

Gordon

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20131122/UPDATES/311220044/Bond-commission-approves-I-49-funding. This article talks about selling 100 million in bonds, 80 million for I 49 North and 20 million for I 49 South. it is backed by the unclaimed property fund.

txstateends

Quote from: Gordon on November 23, 2013, 11:41:34 AM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20131122/UPDATES/311220044/Bond-commission-approves-I-49-funding. This article talks about selling 100 million in bonds, 80 million for I 49 North and 20 million for I 49 South. it is backed by the unclaimed property fund.

Is the $80 million only for the ICC (between I-220 and I-20 in Shreveport), or is part of it for expenditures for the part between I-220 and the LA/AR line?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Anthony_JK

Quote from: txstateends on November 23, 2013, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: Gordon on November 23, 2013, 11:41:34 AM

Is the $80 million only for the ICC (between I-220 and I-20 in Shreveport), or is part of it for expenditures for the part between I-220 and the LA/AR line?

I would assume the I-49 North money is to complete the I-220/I-49 North interchange and for additional enviromental studies for the added alternative of upgrading LA 3132/I-220 (the "Loop It" alternative to the proposed ICC); while the I-49 South bonds would build the LA 318 interchange and the segment from Albertson Parkway to Ambassador Caffery Parkway, and complete design work for the I-49 Connector in Lafayette.

lamsalfl

I-49 set to open up "an 18-mile stretch from North Market Street to Highway 71 in between Hosston and Gilliam" before the end of November.  No date has been announced. 
http://www.ktbs.com/story/23950816/new-section-of-i-49-to-open-this-month

Well?  Getting close.

US71

Quote from: lamsalfl on November 24, 2013, 04:39:52 AM
I-49 set to open up "an 18-mile stretch from North Market Street to Highway 71 in between Hosston and Gilliam" before the end of November.  No date has been announced. 
http://www.ktbs.com/story/23950816/new-section-of-i-49-to-open-this-month

Well?  Getting close.

Last I heard, it was going to be sometime this week, but given the weather, it may have been postponed.  Yesterday, I noticed the traffic signals at 71 & 49 near Gilliam have been activated, though only flashing yellow right now.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JON30

I'm assuming that is this afternoon but there aren't many details.

From the KTBS 3 website "New section of I-49 north of Shreveport to open Tuesday afternoon"

"SHREVEPORT, La. (KTBS) -
The Office of Governor Bobby Jindal confirms to KTBS 3 News a ribbon cutting to open the newest section of Interstate 49 will be held Tuesday afternoon.

RELATED ARTICLE: New section of I-49 to open this month

The ceremony is scheduled for 4pm, however its location was not disclosed at the time of this post. Governor Bobby Jindal is expected to be in attendance.

The new section of the interstate is more than 18 miles long between North Market Street (Hwy 1) and US Highway 71 between Hosston and Gilliam.

Stay with KTBS 3 News on the latest. "

http://www.ktbs.com/story/24074677/new-section-of-i-49-north-of-shreveport-to-open-tuesday-afternoon

Grzrd

Quote from: JON30 on November 26, 2013, 02:20:02 PM

This afternoon: http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/story/gov-jindal-marks-i-49-opening/d/story/1BKeBtgl3UOCOOWcsQXZpQ

It's an exciting time in Shreveport as a new section of Interstate-49 is set to open this afternoon ....
The event will take place at 4 p.m. at the Christian Faith Worship Center Church on 5201 North Market.

Alex

Quote from: Grzrd on November 26, 2013, 02:25:13 PM

This afternoon: http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/story/gov-jindal-marks-i-49-opening/d/story/1BKeBtgl3UOCOOWcsQXZpQ

It's an exciting time in Shreveport as a new section of Interstate-49 is set to open this afternoon ....
The event will take place at 4 p.m. at the Christian Faith Worship Center Church on 5201 North Market.

Well I know where they got the I-49 graphic in the background:

https://www.aaroads.com/high-priority/corr01.html

lamsalfl

Quote from: US71 on July 25, 2010, 11:13:13 PM
I-49 may Open in 2013

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100725/OPINION03/7250364/30-miles-of-I-49-North-could-be-opened-in-late-2013

A 30-mile section of I-49 North between La. 1 and Louisiana Highway 168 (Segments I through B) can be opened to traffic in late 2013. The remaining two-mile segment between La. 168 and Arkansas (Segment A) can be opened after that state finishes its remaining portion of I-49 North in 2015.

close but I'll take it!

vtk

Quote from: Alex on November 26, 2013, 02:58:53 PM

That is a fairly distinctive shading effect.  I've never understood why exactly AARoads does that (versus any number of other shading options), but I guess it's effective branding.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US71

From the KTBS 3 website "New section of I-49 north of Shreveport to open Tuesday afternoon"

"SHREVEPORT, La. (KTBS) -
The Office of Governor Bobby Jindal confirms to KTBS 3 News a ribbon cutting to open the newest section of Interstate 49 will be held Tuesday afternoon.

RELATED ARTICLE: New section of I-49 to open this month

The ceremony is scheduled for 4pm, however its location was not disclosed at the time of this post. Governor Bobby Jindal is expected to be in attendance.

The new section of the interstate is more than 18 miles long between North Market Street (Hwy 1) and US Highway 71 between Hosston and Gilliam.

Stay with KTBS 3 News on the latest. "

http://www.ktbs.com/story/24074677/new-section-of-i-49-north-of-shreveport-to-open-tuesday-afternoon

If it wasn't for the wacky weather, I might have stayed in town for it.  :(

Alex

Quote from: vtk on November 26, 2013, 03:53:48 PM
Quote from: Alex on November 26, 2013, 02:58:53 PM

That is a fairly distinctive shading effect.  I've never understood why exactly AARoads does that (versus any number of other shading options), but I guess it's effective branding.

It was a photoshop filter I used in the early 2000s, mainly for fun and to simulate a sign reflecting headlights. I abandoned using it for site graphics around ten years ago.

apjung

US71

lamsalfl

lamsalfl

By March, Jindal said, an additional 11 miles between Arkansas and Hosston will open, with Arkansas connecting to those northern segments by the summer.

The last five miles – segments J and K located nearest Interstate 220 – will be completed by 2016 or early 2017, Jindal said. Construction has started on Segment J, which will be finished by fall 2015.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20131126/NEWS01/311260030/Shreveport-Hosston-now-19-mile-cruise-49

apjung

NE2

Not California style. Not even close.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.