News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

I also support an extension of the TIMED program. Projects I'd like to see in addition to I-49 South and the I-10/I-110 interchange.

* A stack interchange at I-12/US 190.
* Six-laning the Bonnet Carre Spillway.

lamsalfl

Treasurer John Kennedy was on the 990am this afternoon.  Long story short - the state is going full-bore with finding funding for I-49 south now that the north is done.  In a perfect world it would take 5-7 years if they started tomorrow to build everything (not very long). 

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Gordon on December 05, 2013, 06:43:06 PM
La DOTD has a new update and plan for continued developement  of I 49 South. Here is the Anouncement, http://www.dotd.la.gov/pressreleases/release.aspx?key=2516

And here are the related documentation of the proposed changes, now accessible at the LADOTD I-49 South public info page:

http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/i49south/

The new plan involves revisions to the Wax Lake to Berwick and Raceland to Westbank Expressway segments to reduce significantly the proposed elevated segments, and use the existing US 90 footprint as much as possible. It also includes some internim improvements in access management and intersections that could be built and developed while funding for the full freeway concept is secured.

The changes from the original Records of Decision will have to be approved though new Supplemental EIS's and Enviromental Assessments, which would be executed starting the beginning of next year.

Two changes I found interesting is that the new proposal will use the existing US 90 bridge across Bayou Des Allemands, rather than a bypass of Dufrene Ponds to the south, and that the I-310 connection will use the existing roadway extended beyond its current terminus at US 90 at Boutte, rather than a new connection just north of there.

These changes essentially cut the total cost of I-49 South by more than half...possibly even making it more feasible even without the need for toll financing.

So..that's progress.

lamsalfl

Those des allemands bridges are awful and probably over 50 years old.  I really hope we can get new ones up to interstate standards.  Btw, Google time to step it up with the new section open north of Shreveport. 

Anthony_JK

Quote from: lamsalfl on December 17, 2013, 02:35:48 PM
Those des allemands bridges are awful and probably over 50 years old.  I really hope we can get new ones up to interstate standards.  Btw, Google time to step it up with the new section open north of Shreveport. 

From what I saw of the plans, the US 90 Des Allemands bridge will be upgraded to Interstate standards with wider shoulders.

lamsalfl

Google has resumed drawing in I-49 north of Shreveport.  The road is in chunks, but it looks like they are putting in the exit numbers now. 

bassoon1986

I was in Shreveport for the weekend and I had wondered if there would be any sort of signs for I-49 in the gap now that it is disconnected. I found much more than I thought there would be:

I apologize for not getting a clear picture of these first 2 pics. This is LA 1/US 71 SB at I-220 in North Shreveport to guide those off of the new portion of I-49 around the loop. I would have preferred to leave out "TO" on Dallas and Monroe.

The rest of these are all headed northbound. TO I-49 shields are located on I-220 in both directions at the N. Market St. (LA 1/US 71)

LA 1/US 71 just north of I-220 at LA 3194/MLKJr

New signs at 1 & 71 split. I bet this will still say to North I-49 even after it's completed southward.

I also saw plenty of dirt work and bridge approaches at Pinehill Rd and at MLK. Doesn't look like anything has started between MLK and 220 just yet. To North I-49 signs are also present at LA 3132 where it changes to I-220. The south bound conversion (I-220 to LA 3132) has always had a large sign saying "To I-49, Alexandria"

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 23, 2013, 01:02:30 PM
LA 1/US 71 just north of I-220 at LA 3194/MLKJr
[/url]

Reminds me of how freeway gaps were signed during the construction of the original Interstate highway system in some states - TO "I-xx" (arrow). I would be curious if this is similar to previous practice in Louisiana during the ca. 1956-82 era.

mcdonaat

Wait... all neutered I-49 shields? Guess I'm spoiled, since our I-49 shields around Alexandria and Pineville have the "Louisiana" on them.

By the way, all Interstate construction projects were marked with a small detour system, but never installed on BGS signs. If they were, LaDOTD has no record (viewing I-20 and I-10 construction signing details shows this). Anyone interested in the scans?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: lamsalfl on December 23, 2013, 08:46:41 AM
Google has resumed drawing in I-49 north of Shreveport.  The road is in chunks, but it looks like they are putting in the exit numbers now.

It's already been added in OSM:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/32.7188/-93.8802

Sure, could use some refinement, but that has to wait till somebody gets a GPS trace of it and all the ramps OR Bing updates their imagery showing the alignment better to properly trace it.

Grzrd

A small beginning for the Lafayette I-49 Connector: a letting was held on January 14 for the demolition of eight buildings and related work:

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/highways/lettings/bidstabs/tabulations/btitems.aspx?LetId=03140114&propid=H.011102.6

Anthony_JK

That was small...this is just a bit bigger: LADOTD just put out an advertisement in their Consultant Contracts Section for bidders to complete the engineering and design for the I-49 Connector project. This would complete the design and engineering work that began in 2008 but was temporarily shelved due to lack of funds.

The contract does call for an evaluation of the 2003 ROD to update the status of the project, and possibly a modified ROD in case tweaks in the design are needed. Mostly, though, it follows the same route and concept as the 2003 ROD.

The deadline for submissions is Feburary 18; with the contract possibly awarded in March or April. The link to the PDF doc with all the details of the advertisement is here:

http://webmail.dotd.louisiana.gov/Agrestat.nsf/9ff2e3e9315e2f5c8625717e005516e5/d8dca9baf2c1202b86257c630055930f?OpenDocument

Update (2-22-14): The deadline for submissions was extended until Feburary 25th; and the contract proposal has been tweaked slightly to take into consideration the possibility of using tolls for funding. A toll study is ongoing by LADOTD, with a report due "within the next few weeks". Though, I'd think that tolls would be both unlikely and unpopular, due to the limited ROW and the urban character of the proposed freeway.

mcdonaat

Any chances for a loop of Lafayette, or some direct connector between I-49 south of Lafayette and I-10? If the hype is centered around "hurricane evacuation" then we can't possibly expect all of the traffic to go through the heart of Lafayette, can we?

And speaking of upgrades, how long until I-49 is redone between I-10 and US 190? Three lanes in each direction would be lovely, with a rebuilding of Harry Guilbeau and, I'm hoping, cable barriers. We can't build every new Interstate with just four lanes... six would be suitable for I-49 South. Now, I-49 between Opelousas and Alexandria, that's a different story - NO TRAFFIC AT ALL!!!

Gordon

Has the Design-Build project, (US 90 I 49 South) Albertson's Parkway to Ambassador Caffery been let to 1 firm yet.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on January 19, 2014, 11:04:26 PM
Any chances for a loop of Lafayette, or some direct connector between I-49 south of Lafayette and I-10? If the hype is centered around "hurricane evacuation" then we can't possibly expect all of the traffic to go through the heart of Lafayette, can we?

And speaking of upgrades, how long until I-49 is redone between I-10 and US 190? Three lanes in each direction would be lovely, with a rebuilding of Harry Guilbeau and, I'm hoping, cable barriers. We can't build every new Interstate with just four lanes... six would be suitable for I-49 South. Now, I-49 between Opelousas and Alexandria, that's a different story - NO TRAFFIC AT ALL!!!

There were plans for a western/southern toll loop around Lafayette (Lafayette Metro Expressway), but they have been put on ice for now in order to focus fully on getting the I-49 Connector and I-49 South funded and built. Completing Ambassador Caffery Parkway as an intermin outer artery loop is probably a bigger priority for Lafayette right now than a freeway/tollway loop.

There are still some pockets of opposition to running the I-49 Connector through Lafayette who would love to reintroduce the Teche Ridge eastern bypass as an alternative; but considering that they've lost every court case, the continuing commitment to upgrading US 90 in Lafayette Parish (as shown by the funding of the Albertson Parkway and Ambassador Caffery Pkwy South interchanges/frontage road upgrades), and the fact that LADOTD is now fully committed to completing the design process and finding funding for ultimate construction, their struggle appears to be as futile as Bloomington's failed war against I-69.

AFAIK, the plan for I-49 in Lafayette Parish is for the Connector and US 90 upgrades to be six mainlanes all the way to LA 88. They'e already widened US 90 to six lanes all the way to Albertson Parkway (with internim J-turns and 3/4 intersections), and the upgrade to Ambassador Caffery would extend the 6-lane upgrade further. I'd prefer they go all the way to New Iberia and the LA 14 or Lewis St. interchange, myself, with the one-way access road system extended along with it...but that's only me.

As far as I-49 between Lafayette and Opelousas...let's crawl before we walk, shall we? Six lanes up to the LA 182/Ambassador Caffery Pkwy North interchange w/ conversion of the frontage road system to one-way would do quite nicely....and an upgrade of the I-49/I-10 interchange to fully directional/"stack" from the existing full cloverleaf would be nice, too. Anything beyond that to Opelousas (or even to the US 167 divergence east of Nuba) would be langiappe.

Only way I'd consider a revision of the Harry Guilbeau Road interchange would be if they extended it east to connect with LA 31 (Leonville Hwy.) and/or extended it west/north as part of an arterial bypass of Opelousas up to US 167 west of Nuba. Otherwise, it's fine as is.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Gordon on January 25, 2014, 09:48:58 AM
Has the Design-Build project, (US 90 I 49 South) Albertson's Parkway to Ambassador Caffery been let to 1 firm yet.

LADOTD had earlier announced a preliminary winner of the bidding process, but no official announcement of the letting has been posted yet. I'm thinking, probably early Feburary for the final announcement.

roadman65

Was wondering if anyone took a picture lately of the sign bridge north of Shreveport at the location of the split in routes for US 71 and LA 1?  I am curious to know what the signs say now that I-49 is open from LA 1 northward for several miles. This is the sign that I am referring to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/9672465292/
This picture (taken 9/12) of the sign bridge at the LA 1 & US 71 split near Shreveport has Texarkana, of course, as control point for US 71.  Now with I-49, the better freeway northward, starting just a few miles north on LA 1, I would imagine that LADOTS would remove the "Texarkana" from US 71 North and sacrifice either "Vivian" or "Oil City" to place it on LA 1 bound for the new freeway as well as fitting in a I-49 shield in with LA 1 North.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2014, 09:34:53 AM
Was wondering if anyone took a picture lately of the sign bridge north of Shreveport at the location of the split in routes for US 71 and LA 1?  I am curious to know what the signs say now that I-49 is open from LA 1 northward for several miles.

I will be that way sometime in March, most likely. I'll try to keep an eye out, especially since I want to do some more exploring in the area.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on January 27, 2014, 10:21:10 AM
Was wondering if anyone took a picture lately of the sign bridge north of Shreveport at the location of the split in routes for US 71 and LA 1?  I am curious to know what the signs say now that I-49 is open from LA 1 northward for several miles.

I will be that way sometime in March, most likely. I'll try to keep an eye out, especially since I want to do some more exploring in the area.

How far northward is it open now?

Grzrd

Was wondering if anyone took a picture lately of the sign bridge north of Shreveport at the location of the split in routes for US 71 and LA 1?  I am curious to know what the signs say now that I-49 is open from LA 1 northward for several miles. This is the sign that I am referring to.

Upthread:

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 23, 2013, 01:02:30 PM
New signs at 1 & 71 split. I bet this will still say to North I-49 even after it's completed southward.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on January 27, 2014, 11:55:51 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 27, 2014, 10:21:10 AM

How far northward is it open now?

Officially, I-49 is open from LA 1 to US 71 near Gilliam. I've heard unconfirmed rumors it may be open to local traffic only as far as LA 168 near Ida, but I have no official intel.

O Tamandua

Thank you, US71.

mcdonaat

Thread posters - I've never been up US 71 between Shreveport and the state line, but are there no towns that US 71 services which I-49 would not be the preferred route? US 167's exit from I-49 uses Meeker, a town that barely exists... but it gives US 167 North a control city of sorts. Lecompte and Cheneyville both have their own exits, so it would make no sense to use those.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but I've always thought that every highway should have a signed destination. US 71 seems like it could have Dixie as a control city - I-49 would be about the same time as US 71, but staying on one road would make more sense.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on January 27, 2014, 11:26:20 PM
Thread posters - I've never been up US 71 between Shreveport and the state line, but are there no towns that US 71 services which I-49 would not be the preferred route? US 167's exit from I-49 uses Meeker, a town that barely exists... but it gives US 167 North a control city of sorts. Lecompte and Cheneyville both have their own exits, so it would make no sense to use those.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but I've always thought that every highway should have a signed destination. US 71 seems like it could have Dixie as a control city - I-49 would be about the same time as US 71, but staying on one road would make more sense.

71 could use Mira or Ida since 49 doesn't reach there yet.  Otherwise, 71 and 49 are redundant of each other from Shreveport to Texarkana (and eventually / someday Fort Smith).

bassoon1986

Dixie has nothing posted that lets you know you are "in" Dixie. It's actually on old US 71 on LA 3049. Belcher, Gilliam, or Hosston are the first towns with a town limit. Belcher is also mostly off of US 71, but there is a sign there. I agree that the 1/71 split should have something listed, and it doesn't have to be Texarkana.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.