News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: bzakharin on August 01, 2016, 09:22:57 AM
I don't know about your GPS, but mines gives me the exit number, route numbers if any, and first destination on the BGS about 1/4 mile before the turn off, so there is every chance for the driver to look at the BGS and verify that it says what the GPS just said. I would prefer it did it a bit earlier, maybe 1 mile in advance. What it doesn't do is say "warning, toll road" or "pay toll ahead". There's no reason it couldn't. But I only use my GPS if I'm going to an unfamiliar area and even then only if there is some significant mileage or number of turns from the freeway exit (or the start of the trip if a freeway is not involved or it doesn't sign exits very well).

So if nothing else, the BGSs should be good enough for the GPS to scrape enough information of them to be useful. And by the way, NJ is the same way when it comes to route numbers. There are pretty much no county route numbers that are in the public consciousness. Even some (segments of) state routes and US routes are not really known by their numbers. For example, I bet not many people know that Brace Road is NJ 154 (though it doesn't cross any freeways, so I suppose it's not such a good example)
What are you talking about, some people do not even know that Tonnelle Avenue is US 1 & 9.  My uncle used to work in Secaucus and lived in Linden.  He said he used US 1 & 9 (Route 1 & 9 as NJ people always say route no matter what the designation is ) to Tonnelle Avenue and then to County Road.

For years some people thought that I-78 ended at I-287 because NJDOT would sign I-78 East as "Local Traffic" and direct motorists to both the Parkway and Turnpike to Newark and New York to use I-287 South from Exit 29. Then the same for I-78 leading into NJ 24, as most were calling Route 78 from Springfield to Newark as Route 24, because no I-78 West shields were up at all entrance ramps due to the road defaulting into the NJ 24 freeway. 

Even after I-78 was finally opened to traffic through the Watchung Reservation, some were still calling the I-78 local lanes as Route 24 and thinking the express lanes were only the interstate.

Also St. George Avenue in Rahway and Linden are not known to locals as Route 27 either.  Many think it terminates at NJ 35 at the Rahway & Colonia Border where the alignment changes.  Some, like my friend Frank, thinks Route 35 goes all the way to Elizabeth on St. George Avenue too.

Wonder, also, how many think that Rahway Avenue in Elizabeth is part of St. George Avenue?  Because Elizabeth wants to be different than the rest, the name changes from St. George to Rahway at the city line, but the majority considers Rahway Avenue to be St. George Avenue.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

I don't know about your GPS, but mines gives me the exit number, route numbers if any, and first destination on the BGS about 1/4 mile before the turn off, so there is every chance for the driver to look at the BGS and verify that it says what the GPS just said. I would prefer it did it a bit earlier, maybe 1 mile in advance. What it doesn't do is say "warning, toll road" or "pay toll ahead". There's no reason it couldn't. But I only use my GPS if I'm going to an unfamiliar area and even then only if there is some significant mileage or number of turns from the freeway exit (or the start of the trip if a freeway is not involved or it doesn't sign exits very well).

What brand GPS are you using?  That's much too late for reasonable driving.  Heck, for it to even read back all of that will practically take the 10 seconds or so before you reach the decal lane.  With GPSs I'm familiar with, they usually start at least 1 mile prior to the interchange.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 02, 2016, 01:06:35 AM

What brand GPS are you using?  That's much too late for reasonable driving.  Heck, for it to even read back all of that will practically take the 10 seconds or so before you reach the decal lane.  With GPSs I'm familiar with, they usually start at least 1 mile prior to the interchange.

The HERE app on my phone. The typical sequence is:
"Follow the course of the road for X Miles" (right after entering the highway)
"After 2 miles, keep right and take the exit"
"After 0.7 miles, keep right and take the exit"
"After 0.25 miles, keep right, take exit X, Route X (usually no direction given), [first destination on BGS]"
"[Now] Keep right and take the exit"

Sometimes there is no 2 miles warning. Sometimes there is a 1 mile instead of 0.7. Sometimes 0.25 is replaced by 0.5 or 0.2, but usually it's as above.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on August 02, 2016, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 02, 2016, 01:06:35 AM

The HERE app on my phone. The typical sequence is:
"Follow the course of the road for X Miles" (right after entering the highway)
"After 2 miles, keep right and take the exit"
"After 0.7 miles, keep right and take the exit"
"After 0.25 miles, keep right, take exit X, Route X (usually no direction given), [first destination on BGS]"
"[Now] Keep right and take the exit"

Sometimes there is no 2 miles warning. Sometimes there is a 1 mile instead of 0.7. Sometimes 0.25 is replaced by 0.5 or 0.2, but usually it's as above.

Looked it up. Noticed in the description it says 'Effortless city navigation'.  So if it's mainly to help get around cities where blocks are measured in 1/8th mile (or less) intervals and someone's driving 25 mph or so, I can see where info will only be important close to where one would turn.  No need to tell someone to prepare to turn 10 blocks away, when the info is only pertinent a block or two away.  But I guess they use that same setup on high-speed highways, where a quarter-mile flies by at 70 mph without any other intersecting roads.

roadman65

I was just on street view and noticed so much that the new signs at Exit 89 is shown. NJ 70 is signed for Brick and Lakehurst and CR 528 is signed for Lakewood.  The GSP southbound overall has the combined interchange as both directions signed for Brick (naturally) and NB Lakewood and SB Lakehurst.  Due to MUTCD only two destinations are not only allowed so sacrifices must be made of course.

However, I moved up to Exit 91 to see if the interchange got completed and only saw the widened shoulder NB where the future NB deceleration lane will be eventually striped for exit, but no signs or any indication the ramp (or ramps) will be opened. So I did some research and it appears to be set for February 2017 to be all open with a completely reconfigured interchange allowing full movement.  I take that the Exit 90 sign that now specifies SB CR 549 is signed that way not only cause that ramp now forbids left turns on to NB CR 548, but as the new Exit 91 will have the NB route signed after upcoming Winter.

I was wondering how accurate that really is as most links provided by google to the topic seemed to have bias by angry Brick residents who seem to have been waiting for decades just to see the missing ramps a reality?  It do not seem like most residents believe it like they seem to think it may take longer.

Sheryl Crowe

sercamaro

I usually take exit 90 on a daily basis.  Exit 90 is marked as 549 South - Brick

Exit 91 signs are up but covered going north.  They have 549 North - Herbertsville (which is also part of Brick).
"Goalies Don't Smile" -- Ken Dryden

noelbotevera

Here's a relic from 1952, when the Parkway opened.

Also exit 117 for some reason, dated 1956.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

NJRoadfan

Word is the new southbound Great Egg Harbor Bay bridge is completely open to traffic. Now they have all winter to remove the old bridge and the charred remains of the Beesley's Point Bridge.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 08, 2016, 06:27:05 PM
Word is the new southbound Great Egg Harbor Bay bridge is completely open to traffic. Now they have all winter to remove the old bridge and the charred remains of the Beesley's Point Bridge.

Can confirm, it looks really good.

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Very nice improvement over the old bridge!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

Higher too and the vertical climb is more gradual. 

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Wonder how long until they start replacing the northbound bridge? Its pretty obvious the new bridge is designed to handle 3 lanes+shoulder or any detour traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 15, 2016, 08:54:07 PM
Wonder how long until they start replacing the northbound bridge? Its pretty obvious the new bridge is designed to handle 3 lanes+shoulder or any detour traffic.

No time soon.  The new southbound bridge can actually handle 4 lanes (without shoulders) on its own.  In its final configuration, it'll have 2 travel lanes, a 7' left shoulder, and an ultra-wide 24' right shoulder.  And a barrier separated walking/biking path.

The Northbound bridge will basically remain the same.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Handout-for-Sept-2012-public-hearing.pdf

storm2k

I'm surprised that they're not replacing the NB bridge. I would have figured it was suffering from most of the same ailments as its SB counterpart. Thought they'd do the whole move all traffic onto the new one while they knock down and build the other side and then have two again.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 16, 2016, 03:37:24 PM
I'm surprised that they're not replacing the NB bridge. I would have figured it was suffering from most of the same ailments as its SB counterpart. Thought they'd do the whole move all traffic onto the new one while they knock down and build the other side and then have two again.
Two different ages. The Parkway was built one carriageway at a time down here.

ixnay

jwolfer

storm2k

So This set of signs has been replaced. On its own bridge now, as the NJTA seems to have moved away from mounting signs directly on bridge structures. The sign on the left has also been replaced, and I saw the pier for the right hand structure to be replaced as well. The 9 NB signs now have proper left tabs attached to the signs instead of that weird "left lane" panels they had before.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on September 17, 2016, 11:40:20 PM
So This set of signs has been replaced. On its own bridge now, as the NJTA seems to have moved away from mounting signs directly on bridge structures. The sign on the left has also been replaced, and I saw the pier for the right hand structure to be replaced as well. The 9 NB signs now have proper left tabs attached to the signs instead of that weird "left lane" panels they had before.
What about the panels on the split?  They ammended the one on the right to just include info on EB 440 only and therefore the 440 WB is left without a panel there.  Hope they put a full sign bridge there to have all three.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on September 18, 2016, 10:20:20 AM
Quote from: storm2k on September 17, 2016, 11:40:20 PM
What about the panels on the split?  They ammended the one on the right to just include info on EB 440 only and therefore the 440 WB is left without a panel there.  Hope they put a full sign bridge there to have all three.

I just realized that I put the same GSV link for both of them. this is the second sign i referred to. the one on the left was replaced. the concrete pier for the one on the right is done, but there isn't a new sign yet. we will see if it references both sides of 440.

NJRoadfan

Looks like the new Great Egg Harbor Bay bridge is going to see northbound detour traffic already. The bridge is setup with a jersey wall and coned off crossovers on each end.

storm2k

So they've been doing deck repairs or something to the GSP overpass over the Turnpike. To maintain 3 lanes of traffic, they're been doing some interesting cattle chute configurations to route traffic around the work. This has led to this sign, just past 131 going SB.

roadman65

I used to cross that overpass everyday between August 1987 to August 1990 on the way to work when I worked at nearby Prudential in the Food Service area.  I lived in Kessington Appartments on US 1 and commuted the Parkway every weekday between 130 and 131A to go to work.

Hopefully I will get to see the sign changes on the Parkway that now are more MUTCD that rid the old gantries that many were erected by NJDOT in 1980 and some in the 90's when 130 was added the SB to NB ramps.

Also NJ was my home for 25 years and would love to get back to see the old homestead anyway.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Northbound traffic has been diverted to the new Great Egg Harbor Bay bridge. They are either rehabbing the northbound bridge, or using it for equipment to remove the old southbound bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.