News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-64-phase-ii/Documents/US64_Corridor_Study_Report_Chapter3.pdf

remember alternatives 3 and 4 that show that it would be a full freeway alternative? I like that plan, there used to be a video showing the full freeway alternative but it got removed because it was old and unfeasible i think IMO.

AADT is roughly 35,000 to 50,000 and I think that definitely warrants a 6-lane expressway or a 4-lane freeway alternative.

I wish they can find a way to make it no traffic lights whatsoever.

Roadsguy

One inadvertent benefit of NCDOT removing most of their business Interstates is that the roads now render their route markers in OSM. :bigass:

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 02, 2020, 10:42:19 PM
One inadvertent benefit of NCDOT removing most of their business Interstates is that the roads now render their route markers in OSM. :bigass:

However, IMO, US-421 should be the first one listed due to the fact the it's the 'primary' route along there now as all the exit numbers are for it. ;)

Roadsguy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 02, 2020, 11:04:28 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on February 02, 2020, 10:42:19 PM

However, IMO, US-421 should be the first one listed due to the fact the it's the 'primary' route along there now as all the exit numbers are for it. ;)

Shields on guide signs consistently put 158 first, though, and OSM convention seems to always be to follow the same MUTCD rules for guide signs by listing the smallest-numbered higher-type route first. This is already done on the I-40/85 concurrency in NC, and I-75's concurrencies with I-64 and I-71 in KY, all three of which have the mileage and exit numbers of the higher numbered route, but have guide signs listing the smaller numbered route first.

I did just notice that the OSM Carto team seems to have changed the rendering of ref tags to have less left and right padding on higher zoom levels. I don't think it looks very good, but I'm sure it has benefits.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

Have the exit numbers on the Salem Parkway already been renumbered to 221 through 238 (US 421's mileage)?

Roadsguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 03, 2020, 04:32:46 PM
Have the exit numbers on the Salem Parkway already been renumbered to 221 through 238 (US 421's mileage)?

Yes, they were renumbered about a month ago. Presumably some of the whole guide signs outside of the closure area were replaced at the same time, but I don't know for sure since there don't seem to be any pictures from that time.

OracleUsr

For the most part, at least on the west side, the signs have been renumbered, though only one sign as of last week on 421 north references I-40's new exit # (238)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

sprjus4

Police stopped 'a lot' of drivers on Salem Parkway the day after it reopened
QuoteWinston-Salem police were out in force Monday to stop speeding drivers on the newly reopened Salem Parkway, formerly known as Business 40.

Police administrators couldn't immediately provide an exact number of tickets issued by officers because it takes time to separate that data from all of Monday's police reports and other citations, police Lt. Jose Gomez said.

He did say officers working with the Winston-Salem Police Department's traffic enforcement unit "stopped a lot of motorists."

"Motorists know that Salem Parkway is open, but we need them to abide by the posted speed limit so we can reduce crashes and injuries to citizens,"  Gomez said.

The one-mile section of the highway that runs through downtown Winston-Salem has a 45-mph speed limit. The police department deployed officers in marked and unmarked patrol cars as well as on motorcycles to enforce the speed limit.

Because Salem Parkway is a state-maintained road, the N.C. Highway Patrol also deployed at least one trooper to monitor speed on the highway, a DOT official said.

The downtown section of highway reopened Sunday morning after it was closed for slightly more than 14 months for renovation work that included repaving, longer ramps and higher bridge clearances.

Drivers have traditionally exceeded the posted speed limit of 45 mph on that stretch of highway, which is also known as U.S. 421, Gomez said.

Before the stretch of highway was closed in November 2018, it carried more than 80,000 vehicles a day.

Officials with the N.C. Department of Transportation will perform a traffic count on the highway after its renovation is fully complete this summer.

On the other hand, NCDOT is studying raising it to at least 55 mph.

Ask SAM: What is the speed limit on Salem Parkway?
QuoteQ: What is the speed limit on the newly opened Salem Parkway? If it's 45 mph now, will it be increased to 55 or 65 once all the construction is complete?

Answer: The posted speed limit on US 421/Salem Parkway is currently 45 mph between Stratford Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation.

"Once the project is completed and traffic stabilizes, NCDOT will study this section of the highway to determine if the speed limit can safely be increased to at least 55 mph,"  said Pat Ivey, division engineer for the department. "This should occur later this spring or early summer."

From the first article, an overhead shot of the reconstructed freeway at night. The new segment appears to be built to interstate standards.

LM117

The Final Environmental Impact Statement for the I-26 Connector in Asheville has been released. FHWA is expected to issue the Record of Decision this summer.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-04-i-26-connector-feis.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

OracleUsr

That's what I don't get about the speeding.  It's been 45mph since as long as I can remember...and I moved to the Triad in 1975.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

LM117

kendancy66

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 05, 2020, 06:09:39 AM
That's what I don't get about the speeding.  It's been 45mph since as long as I can remember...and I moved to the Triad in 1975.
I am sure it was at 55 mph or higher in the 1960's and even into the early 1970's, until it was lowered for safety reasons.  The Hawthorne curve along with and the congestion caused many accidents.

fillup420

Quote from: LM117 on February 05, 2020, 03:49:47 PM
Dynamic left-turn intersections coming to Cary and Clayton.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-05-dynamic-left-turn-intersection.aspx

not sure how i feel about this. seems like a good source for confusion

sprjus4

Quote from: fillup420 on February 06, 2020, 07:12:43 AM
Agreed. What's the issue with simply having a double left turn with permissive phasing during off-peak hours?

It's used in at least one other place in the area.

fillup420

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 06, 2020, 07:14:13 AM
Quote from: fillup420 on February 06, 2020, 07:12:43 AM
Agreed. What's the issue with simply having a double left turn with permissive phasing during off-peak hours?

It's used in at least one other place in the area.

yea theres a double permissive left at Pinecrest and US 70 that i pass everyday. it seems to work fine. a big RED X is just going to make folks think left turns are prohibited outright.

LM117

As part of the I-95 widening project, the Long Branch Road bridge (Exit 71) in Harnett County will close Sunday night. The new bridge and upgraded interchange is expected to open next year.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-06-i-95-widening-harnett-county.aspx

sprjus4

Looking closer into the I-95 widening projects, it appears now all 40 miles (25 miles north of Fayetteville, 15 miles south of Fayetteville, excluding the Fayetteville Bypass) of I-95 will be under construction by the end of the year, and will be fully completed to 8-lanes by 2024.

In total, $1.1 billion (approx. $28 million per mile) for 40 miles (approx. 22% of the corridor in NC) of widening from 4 to 8 lanes by 2024, toll free.

I'm wondering how the traffic will hold up with the Fayetteville Bypass still only being 4-lanes. Hopefully sooner or later they will receive more funding to close that 15 mile gap, and provide 55 miles of continuous 8-lane interstate highway before 2030. If the southern 15 mile project is any indication, it will likely be around $400 million as well.

index

We're having some really nasty flooding going on here, looks like it was enough to knock out this bridge just north of the SC line, crossing Buffalo Creek.

https://twitter(dot)com/W4WNO/status/1225590264770781185
Edit: Fixed the post...The forum decided it wanted to randomly auto-size the link out of existence and refuses to embed the tweet.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 06, 2020, 06:45:44 PM
In total, $1.1 billion (approx. $28 million per mile) for 40 miles (approx. 22% of the corridor in NC) of widening from 4 to 8 lanes by 2024, toll free.
And 78% of it will still be 4 lanes.

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 06, 2020, 06:45:44 PM
I'm wondering how the traffic will hold up with the Fayetteville Bypass still only being 4-lanes.
Completed IIRC in 1980 and to much higher standards than the most of the corridor as one of the last sections built.  I would expect this to be one of the last sections to be widened.  Also it is paralleled by 4-lane divided US-301 which relieves some of the traffic at least on the local level.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on February 06, 2020, 08:49:06 PM
Still a major improvement over the existing 100% of 4-lanes. The eventual goal is to widen the interstate to a minimum of 6 lanes throughout the state, but you have to start somewhere. For being a "Phase 1", $1.1 billion for 40 miles of 8-lane widening is a major investment in only a 4 year period, and will go a long way to alleviate congestion on the corridor, especially during peak travel periods.

Completed IIRC in 1980 and to much higher standards than the most of the corridor as one of the last sections built.  I would expect this to be one of the last sections to be widened.  Also it is paralleled by 4-lane divided US-301 which relieves some of the traffic at least on the local level.
Higher standards, but still only 4-lanes. I believe the plan is eventually to widen this section to 8-lanes to match the upcoming projects to the north and south, though is not currently funded.

The completion of the I-295 beltway in 2025 will complete a full 39-mile interstate loop around the city, and could likely draw more local traffic off of I-95, particularly traffic bound to/from the southern and northern sides of the city to/from I-95. It could also serve as an alternate route to I-95 in the event of an incident / closure, etc.

bob7374

Quote from: index on February 06, 2020, 08:42:51 PM
We're having some really nasty flooding going on here, looks like it was enough to knock out this bridge just north of the SC line, crossing Buffalo Creek.

https://twitter.com/W4WNO/status/1225590264770781185?s=19
There's also been a rock slide closing US 19/74 in Western NC:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-06-slide-closes-nantahala-gorge.aspx

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 06, 2020, 09:41:32 PM
Still a major improvement over the existing 100% of 4-lanes. The eventual goal is to widen the interstate to a minimum of 6 lanes throughout the state, but you have to start somewhere. For being a "Phase 1", $1.1 billion for 40 miles of 8-lane widening is a major investment in only a 4 year period, and will go a long way to alleviate congestion on the corridor, especially during peak travel periods.
Not that much ... as you cited only 22% of the corridor.  The rural Interstate corridors can have miles long rolling backups happen anywhere.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on February 06, 2020, 09:59:11 PM
Not that much ... as you cited only 22% of the corridor.  The rural Interstate corridors can have miles long rolling backups happen anywhere.
Again, have to start somewhere. You don't expect them to begin construction on all 182 miles at once, do you? In my opinion, even the current 40 miles and $1.1 billion in one phase is a large undertaking and step forward towards a completed 6-8 lane corridor.

I-95 between I-40 and Lumberton has around 60,000 AADT, and is the busiest stretch of I-95 throughout the state. I agree I-95 needs to be widened to 6-lanes minimum throughout the entire state eventually, but the section they're starting with is a good place to start, and they're being proactive by building it out to 8-lanes rather than 6-lanes, which can almost guarantee it will never be congested. I-95 north of I-40 only has 30,000 - 40,000 AADT, and south of Lumberton only around 40,000 AADT. Those sections are only planned for 6-lane widening, when funded.

It took NCDOT around 20 years to complete a 6-lane minimum corridor between the Raleigh / Durham area and Charlotte, with 30 miles of 8-lane widening between I-40 and Greensboro completed in the late 1990s, the 12 mile 6-8 lane Greensboro southern bypass in 2004, and 45 miles of 8-lane widening north of Charlotte between the early 2000s and 2019. The last "gap" still exists with the 4-lane portions of I-85 between I-40 and Durham, and I-40 between I-85 and Chapel Hill, though that last bit of 4-lane I-40 is planned for 6-lane widening in the next few years which will fully complete a 6-8 lane corridor between Raleigh and Charlotte.

ARMOURERERIC

Plus looking at the I-95 Fayetteville bypass, it appears to be graded for 6-8 lanes with plenty of clearance at overhead structures.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.