News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US holidays by tiers

Started by ftballfan, January 21, 2019, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 19, 2019, 07:13:10 PM
I stopped getting Presidents' Day off in college. I had forgot the holiday even existed when one of my classmates asked a professor if we had it off.

It doesn't exist. The holiday in question is properly called Washington's Birthday.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

A number of schools in my area had Presidents Day (or, as noted above, still legally called Washington's Birthday) scheduled off, but then had classes because of snow days earlier in the year. And then, a number of districts ended up canceling classes for the rest of the week due to illness.

No one really complained about going to school on Presidents Day. However, if they had used MLK Day as a makeup day, the howls of protest would be loud and numerous.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 20, 2019, 02:25:38 PM
A number of schools in my area had Presidents Day (or, as noted above, still legally called Washington's Birthday) scheduled off, but then had classes because of snow days earlier in the year. And then, a number of districts ended up canceling classes for the rest of the week due to illness.

No one really complained about going to school on Presidents Day. However, if they had used MLK Day as a makeup day, the howls of protest would be loud and numerous.
President's Day is the first day of February Break here.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Why is it called Washington's Birthday when the holiday cannot fall on the 22nd?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ftballfan

With the rise of MLK Day, some colleges have extended their Christmas break until after that day (either starting on the Tuesday of that week or the following Monday). In Michigan, all of the public colleges have MLK Day off but none of them have Columbus, Veterans, or Presidents' Day off (Columbus Day isn't a state holiday in MI and has never been one AFAIK).

I have some minor changes to the federal holiday system:
1. Eliminate the Columbus Day holiday (almost all private sector businesses are open; this is also the only federal holiday the stock market is open on)
2. Either (a) move the elections to Veterans Day or (b) move the Veterans Day holiday to Election Day (in even-numbered years; in odd-numbered years, Veterans Day would remain on November 11)
3. To keep the # of federal holidays at 10, I would either make Good Friday, Black Friday, or Christmas Eve federal holidays (the latter two are already state holidays in Michigan)

bandit957

We should really have more federal holidays.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

Quote from: ftballfan on February 20, 2019, 05:46:49 PM
(in even-numbered years; in odd-numbered years, Veterans Day would remain on November 11)

VA, NJ, LA, MS, and KY disagree.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

oscar

Quote from: 1 on February 20, 2019, 06:52:39 PM
(in even-numbered years; in odd-numbered years, Veterans Day would remain on November 11)

VA, NJ, LA, MS, and KY disagree.

Then you have vote-by-mail states like Oregon (and others, present or future), for which messing with the Veterans Day holiday or adding a new Election Day holiday would not help with voter turnout.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Eth

I have some minor changes to the federal holiday system:
1. Eliminate the Columbus Day holiday (almost all private sector businesses are open; this is also the only federal holiday the stock market is open on)
2. Either (a) move the elections to Veterans Day or (b) move the Veterans Day holiday to Election Day (in even-numbered years; in odd-numbered years, Veterans Day would remain on November 11)
3. To keep the # of federal holidays at 10, I would either make Good Friday, Black Friday, or Christmas Eve federal holidays (the latter two are already state holidays in Michigan)

Why not just move the Columbus Day holiday to Election Day (which, by the way, does in fact occur in all years, not just the even-numbered ones)? Seems simpler and accomplishes the same goal.

vdeane

I'd miss my three day weekends if Columbus Day was no longer a holiday.  Veterans Day has always struck me as being rather close to Thanksgiving for having another day off, though it was useful for route clinching last year since it generated a three day weekend.

Oddly enough, in college, Presidents Day is one of the only holidays we specifically got off (Thanksgiving being the other; everything else was either between semesters or we had classes - yes, we even had class on Labor Day), with a three day break (offset by starting the spring semester on a Thursday; the three day break for Thanksgiving was offset by a two day break in late September; the only other break was "spring break" in mid-March).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

There's the Big Six that I get paid at work for: NYD, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Then there are government holidays where the mail doesn't run: MLK, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, etc. That's the second level.

Then there are holidays with noble purposes (Valentines, Mother's Day, etc.); holidays that are excuses to get drunk (St. Patrick's, Cinco de Mayo, Halloween etc.) and finally, holidays for which you don't know why it's a holiday at all (Groundhog Day), the lowest tier of all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.