News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

No gas!

Started by tolbs17, May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Hope people are safe trying to look for gas.

jeffandnicole

I noticed the Gasbuddy app hasn't been working well today!

jmacswimmer

Crazy how massive an effect a ransomware attack can have, huh? :ded:

I used to always roll my eyes at the IT-mandated training videos I have to watch every so often, but I sure don't anymore as things like this continue to happen and cybersecurity becomes more and more important.  (As another example, the Baltimore City government got hit with ransomware 2 years ago - I heard from colleagues living in the city that paying water bills was a huge PITA until the government's servers were back online.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

hbelkins

Hearing that in some cases, it's like the Nixon and Carter years all over again in terms of gas shortages and long lines at places that do have gas, especially in the southeast.

Kentucky isn't one of the states specifically affected by the pipeline problem, but there could be some residual issues in the southern part of the state. While much of the state's gas comes from the Marathon refinery at Ashland, a good chunk of the southern and southeastern part of the state has historically been served from the Knoxville terminal. For years I had a neighbor who frequently drove to Knoxville to pick up a load of gas.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

New standardized test analogy question:

Gas :: ransomware
TP :: ___________

Answer: Covid

kevinb1994

I also recall Atlanta being hit by a ransomware attack. They are all pretty serious regardless of the parties involved.

1995hoo

Ms1995hoo went to get her car inspected this morning and when she got home she said the gas stations were insanely busy with panic-buying.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Something happened to the supply pipeline between Phoenix and Tucson back in 2002.  It had all the standard price hike and panic buying that usually comes along with this stuff.  It's quaint to look back at people being upset about $2 dollar a gallon gas.

WillWeaverRVA

Lots of panic buying happening here in the Richmond area. Quite a few stations are out of gas. People are being idiots and hoarding gas in containers.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

Just got gas because I was on gas light, not because I wanted to hoard.  No one at the gas stations out here and prices haven't gone up. 

Chris

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 11, 2021, 01:39:31 PM
Lots of panic buying happening here in the Richmond area. Quite a few stations are out of gas. People are being idiots and hoarding gas in containers.

I am mildly optimistic that they'll run out of 93 octane (which three of our cars specify) last.

Two of the cars' tanks are almost full, so we will drive those if needed and leave the one that's below half a tank parked for the next several days. I don't drive much during the week anyway.

Brandon

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM

We have no such problem here in the Midwest.  I believe this is a Mid-Atlantic problem just due to that particular pipeline.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheHighwayMan3561

No gas? Better get over to Taco Bell.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 11, 2021, 02:18:15 PM

Heh. On my iPad, I have the Google Maps app set not to save my current location. For some reason, it always defaults to a location just outside Frenchtown, New Jersey.

Notice the name of the gas station there. Every time I load that app, that business's name makes me wonder if it has clean restrooms. Looking at it on Street View, I suspect the answer is "no."

Rothman

No lines up here in central NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 11, 2021, 01:50:28 PM
Just got gas because I was on gas light, not because I wanted to hoard.  No one at the gas stations out here and prices haven't gone up. 

Chris

Colorado isn't a state affected by the pipeline hack, so I'm not surprised.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SectorZ

The fun part in the end is when Colonial is back up and running, they have a few weeks where prices are still artificially high that they get to benefit from (unlike their ascent, the descent is never as quick). Incompetence always pays, even if only for a short period.

tolbs17

I saw a long line of cars at Sheetz.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 11, 2021, 02:18:15 PM

Only if you know how to use the Three Seashells.

kphoger

Am I supposed to know what you're talking about?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2021, 04:05:38 PM

Am I supposed to know what you're talking about?

I think might have watched a Mad Max movie one too many times.  :rolleyes:

Bruce

...Maybe we should have multiple viable modes of transport in our cities after all.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Bruce on May 11, 2021, 07:12:39 PM
...Maybe we should have multiple viable modes of transport in our cities after all.
Gasp! You don't say...

Max Rockatansky

Before everyone goes all Freewayjim just know that I paid $4.08 for 87 octane as a normal thing yesterday in Fresno. 

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on May 11, 2021, 07:12:39 PM

You do realize this affects trains that run on diesel fuel, buses that run on diesel fuel, powerplants that may use diesel fuel in some way, shape, or form, etc?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.