News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best and Worst of Restrooms

Started by OCGuy81, June 18, 2021, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

Quote from: index on June 19, 2021, 10:04:41 PM

3 1/2. No baseboards on the walls. There's spider webs, spiders, and maybe you'll spot a few house centipedes and/or roaches if you're lucky. Somehow things other than bacteria manage to live in this god-forsaken excuse for a restroom. Also, a lot of visible piping. Fluorescent lights which may or may not have a casing, buzzing their miserable life away. "Why here?" They might be thinking. "Why not a nice clean office in Seattle? Why an awful, unmaintained gas station bathroom in Podunk County, Midwest, population 4, not counting hogs? What did I do to deserve this?"

Oooh, how about the circular florescent lights you used to see? Maybe one or two for the entire bathroom. Shadows everywhere.

SkyPesos

Special shoutout in this thread to All Nippon Airways with their bidet style toilets in their lavatories. 5/5.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: texaskdog on June 18, 2021, 09:58:58 PM
Best Buccees, they have attendents in there at all times.  Worst any small gas station or busy bar.

I can't say I agree with this either. Bathroom attendants are not a positive thing, in my view.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 20, 2021, 09:52:41 PM
Best Buccees, they have attendents in there at all times.  Worst any small gas station or busy bar.

I can't say I agree with this either. Bathroom attendants are not a positive thing, in my view.
Why not?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SP Cook

IMHO, among local chains.

Sheetz.  Agree with HB, usually solid.

Speedway.  Hit and miss, depends on when the place was built.

GO Mart. Total filth.  Also not ADA compliant and they don't care. 

Little General.  Slightly above GO Mart level, but not much.

State rest areas:

WV - average, vending machines are Pepsi, which is gross.
WV Turnpike - slightly below average, often dirty
OH - average, but special extra points for having rest areas on non-interstates, such as US 35 and OH 32.  I have even seen a few in rural areas which have "primitive" facilities.  But most states would not bother at all, so good on them.
KY - average, but have closed too many.
VA - above average, cleaner than normal, but a lot of preachy posters rather than tourism stuff.
NC - above average, seem to do a tear down and rebuild on a regular schedule.

Porta johns.  Friend of mine got me into the luxury tents at the old Greenbrier Classic PGA deal.  They had like 5 RV type vehicles which were all restrooms.  Went in the door and every room was a rest room like you would have at home.  AC, clean.  Apparently they just drive these from tournament to tournament.

JoePCool14

We stopped an an Indiana rest stop on I-65 yesterday north of Indy. That left a lot to be desired. The place definitely needed a tear down and rebuild.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

GCrites

Quote from: SP Cook on June 21, 2021, 11:40:02 AM
IMHO, among local chains.

State rest areas:

WV - average, vending machines are Pepsi, which is gross.
WV Turnpike - slightly below average, often dirty
OH - average, but special extra points for having rest areas on non-interstates, such as US 35 and OH 32.  I have even seen a few in rural areas which have "primitive" facilities.  But most states would not bother at all, so good on them.
KY - average, but have closed too many.
VA - above average, cleaner than normal, but a lot of preachy posters rather than tourism stuff.
NC - above average, seem to do a tear down and rebuild on a regular schedule.

Ohio went on a closing spree of primitive rest areas in the late 2000s-early 2010s. Some of the ones they tore out had just been rebuilt a decade or less before. Population went from probably over 25 down to 3. Of course some were the real oldies that were built of wood.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Rothman on June 20, 2021, 10:00:11 PM

Why not?

In part, it's because I find the services they provide to be things I can do for myself. I can get my own hand soap and paper towels without assistance, and having someone give me these things is not something I feel is worth tipping over. But mostly, I just think it's weird and awkward to have someone in the bathroom who isn't there to go to the bathroom.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 21, 2021, 10:47:27 PM

Why not?

In part, it's because I find the services they provide to be things I can do for myself. I can get my own hand soap and paper towels without assistance, and having someone give me these things is not something I feel is worth tipping over. But mostly, I just think it's weird and awkward to have someone in the bathroom who isn't there to go to the bathroom.
They also may be keeping it clean for you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 21, 2021, 10:47:27 PM

Why not?

At Buc-ee's? The "attendants"  are in there constantly cleaning the bathroom. Not giving you services. That would be weird.

sprjus4

US 89

Quote from: SectorZ on June 20, 2021, 07:53:03 AM
Grossest can tend to be gas station ones that aren't accessible from inside the store, but I think we've reached consensus on that in the thread :-D

Last time I used one of those was at the Chevron in West Wendover. It actually wasn't too bad. I've seen worse inside stations.

The worst restrooms are those outhouse pit toilets you'll find at trailheads and such. In fact, by far the nastiest restroom I've ever encountered on a road trip was the pit toilet at the "visitor info" center just outside Walden, CO. Shit absolutely everywhere... and swarms of flies to go with it.

SectorZ

I would imagine if you were pooping into an outhouse and saw this, it would qualify as worst of.

https://www.wmur.com/article/man-pulled-from-women-s-outhouse-tank/5142933

He escaped a jail sentence, which was smart, because then he did it again...

https://bangordailynews.com/2009/09/01/news/man-admits-crawling-into-outhouse-pit-again/

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on June 22, 2021, 08:07:43 AM
I would imagine if you were pooping into an outhouse and saw this, it would qualify as worst of.

https://bangordailynews.com/2009/09/01/news/man-admits-crawling-into-outhouse-pit-again/
Dangit, Bandit, we told you again and again to stop that!

hbelkins

Quote from: SectorZ on June 22, 2021, 08:07:43 AM

This guy either has an extreme golden shower fetish, or he watched one too many "two girls, one cup" video.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

The only situation in which I can imagine it being even remotely rational to hide in an outhouse pit is in the disturbing scene in Schindler's List where the boy jumps into a toilet to hide from the Nazis.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

andrepoiy

Worst I have experienced would probably be a squat toilet in China...

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

index

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 23, 2021, 07:33:42 PM
I peed into a tree once

Have you ever taken a nice fat leak out in the open, in nature, where the nearest person on the trail is at least a 20-minute walk from you? It feels liberating. Like it was meant to be. It was at that moment I felt like I was truly one with nature.

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

index

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 20, 2021, 08:49:02 PM

3 1/2. No baseboards on the walls. There's spider webs, spiders, and maybe you'll spot a few house centipedes and/or roaches if you're lucky. Somehow things other than bacteria manage to live in this god-forsaken excuse for a restroom. Also, a lot of visible piping. Fluorescent lights which may or may not have a casing, buzzing their miserable life away. "Why here?" They might be thinking. "Why not a nice clean office in Seattle? Why an awful, unmaintained gas station bathroom in Podunk County, Midwest, population 4, not counting hogs? What did I do to deserve this?"

Oooh, how about the circular florescent lights you used to see? Maybe one or two for the entire bathroom. Shadows everywhere.

Bonus points if they're flickering (like I mentioned earlier) and they're flickering in such a way that it hurts your eyes. Like looking into an old CRT display that doesn't have the right refresh rate. When I was younger I had an old Magnavox TV in my room that was like that. Eye strain through the roof.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

GCrites

Quote from: index on June 23, 2021, 09:04:07 PM
I peed into a tree once

Have you ever taken a nice fat leak out in the open, in nature, where the nearest person on the trail is at least a 20-minute walk from you? It feels liberating. Like it was meant to be. It was at that moment I felt like I was truly one with nature.

Or when you pee off of a cliff and your pee turns into little spheres.

GCrites

Quote from: index on June 23, 2021, 09:08:01 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on June 20, 2021, 08:49:02 PM

Bonus points if they're flickering (like I mentioned earlier) and they're flickering in such a way that it hurts your eyes. Like looking into an old CRT display that doesn't have the right refresh rate. When I was younger I had an old Magnavox TV in my room that was like that. Eye strain through the roof.

And that just makes the buzzing more annoying since it's uneven.

Scott5114

I peed into a tree once

That's kind of a regular experience for me, since my current job is remodeling a barn in the middle of a 45-acre lot. We have four walls and some semblance of a roof, but no plumbing yet. You could walk all the way up the hill to the farmhouse and use the toilet...or you could just go behind the trees where nobody can see, and take a leak there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

I peed into a tree once

I have. It feels good.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

I'm getting anxious for the Buc-ee's to open in Madison County so I can go see what all the hype about their restrooms is about.

I've also found that chain truck stop bathrooms (Love's, Pilot, Flying J) are usually in pretty good shape.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.