News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Post your desktop

Started by KEK Inc., July 13, 2010, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Here's my desktop (Win7 homebuild machine)

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mobilene

I'm sort of dual-monitored -- sort of because one of the monitors is my laptop screen and the other is an LCD panel.  The desktop background photo is mine.

jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

KEK Inc.

Mine's dual monitored as well.  You can actually have a different background on your second monitor, through a program called Display-Fusion.  At the very least, you can adjust the resolution so it's full-screen on your standard monitor.  I generally keep my browser on my external monitor.
Take the road less traveled.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 23, 2011, 11:07:50 AM
Since having the drive suddenly "disappear" is a recipe for master file table corruption, I have had to script my backup routines to put the computer in suspend rather than hibernation.

This is why it's a good design to have the file system table be a simple plain text file (/etc/fstab on Linux). If a drive vanishes, Linux just removes the device file that represents the drive, while still keeping track of the mount point (the interface to the actual file system on that volume, somewhat like the drive letter in Windows), volume/filesystem type, etc. in fstab. When the drive returns, the kernel checks it against fstab and reestablishes the mount point.

I think that's how it works, anyway. I might be wrong on some of the details.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 25, 2011, 05:15:45 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on June 23, 2011, 11:07:50 AM
Since having the drive suddenly "disappear" is a recipe for master file table corruption, I have had to script my backup routines to put the computer in suspend rather than hibernation.

This is why it's a good design to have the file system table be a simple plain text file (/etc/fstab on Linux). If a drive vanishes, Linux just removes the device file that represents the drive, while still keeping track of the mount point (the interface to the actual file system on that volume, somewhat like the drive letter in Windows), volume/filesystem type, etc. in fstab. When the drive returns, the kernel checks it against fstab and reestablishes the mount point.

I think that's how it works, anyway. I might be wrong on some of the details.
The Linux way of specifying filesystems doesn't protect against what J N Winkler is referring to, since the problem is that if the drive suddenly disappears, any data that is in the buffers waiting to be written doesn't get written to the disk before it disappears, leaving the disk in an inconsistent state. What can protect against this is a journaled file system, as the journal that the system keeps of the data transactions can tell the computer the state the filesystem is in when the drive comes back online. Most modern Linux filesystems (ext3 or later) and (if I remember correctly) NTFS on Windows are journaled file systems.

edit - to keep with the theme of the thread, I present my mostly-generic Ubuntu desktop:

kphoger

Twenty years ago or more, I used to make my own wallpapers in MSPaint.  Well, I decided to revive that idea, and I just recently finished one.  Here is a portion of my current desktop at work.

And here is a close-up of the .png image.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

My desktop background is my favorite road picture I've ever taken:

1995hoo

On my office PC, I have this photo of the University of Virginia:

On my home PC, I have this picture of Ms1995hoo and me taken in June 2018:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm not sure how many years I've used it, but I just use my County Clinching map for my desktop.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.