News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NEW features

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2024, 04:23:06 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 02:31:11 PMQuick reply...awesome.

Am I missing something?  Where is this quick reply of which you speak?

For me, right below the last post in a thread.

Oh!  The huge section at the bottom of each page!  Wasn't that always there?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 04:33:27 PM

I thought so, too.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2024, 04:40:09 PM

I thought so, too.

It was, but it wasn't as fleshed out, the buttons for various things (like the embeds and things like bolding text) and smilies weren't there.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Rothman

Not the gumdrop buttons.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 28, 2024, 05:14:54 PM

I thought so, too.

It was, but it wasn't as fleshed out, the buttons for various things (like the embeds and things like bolding text) and smilies weren't there.

For bolding and such, I find it just as easy to just type the tags. Smilies are nice though.

Android

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 28, 2024, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: X99 on March 28, 2024, 12:59:11 PMIs there an estimate to how long it will take to restore the old forum theme? A week, a month, maybe more?

No ETA, as all the settings are different from the previous branch of SMF that we were on.  So will take some trial and error to get stuff to work right.

Several years ago, to my surprise, I got made an Admin of a new forum that was replacing one (which I was never involved with on the Admin side of things) that had just got shut down.  In setting up that forum (which did not port over ANY of the content from the other one) I went out of my way to make a Theme that tried to mimic the feel of the previous forum.  However I never promoted it, I just put it into the settings and hoped people might find it if they cared to look for it.  A few people did, but while I still have Admin status there, I have moved on from that topic and seldom look at that forum any more.  I just checked and it looks like I'm the only person still using that Theme.  *sigh*

Now having said that,  you might expect that when this revision of the AA forum finished the other day, the first thing I looked for was some kind of alternate display theme.

Something else I had done when setting up that forum was that I eradicated their default emoticon library and replaced it with a much less manic version.  Not that I really use emoticons that often any more.   
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

Big John

Will the ability to edit your viewable location be added?

hotdogPi

Are you somehow unable to? I can.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Big John

Quote from: hotdogPi on March 28, 2024, 06:34:31 PMAre you somehow unable to? I can.
Where? I can't find it.

hotdogPi

It's in "Profile Details", in the same screen where you can change your avatar, signature, gender, and age. Nothing is different from the old forum.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Big John

Quote from: hotdogPi on March 28, 2024, 06:52:51 PMIt's in "Profile Details", in the same screen where you can change your avatar, signature, gender, and age. Nothing is different from the old forum.
How come I looked at thazt page several times and never saw that line there before?  :crazy:  :paranoid:

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2024, 05:39:04 PMFor bolding and such, I find it just as easy to just type the tags. Smilies are nice though.

Same here, w/r/t formatting tags:  I always just type them manually.  I never use the actual icons for that.  But I can never remember which emoticon corresponds to which emoji/sticker.  So yeah, that is nice to have in the 'quick reply' box, not just after clicking [PREVIEW].  Of course, I almost always am only using a smiley if I'm quoting someone else's post, and I always click [PREVIEW] when quoting, to make sure nothing went awry...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2024, 05:39:04 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 28, 2024, 05:14:54 PM

I thought so, too.

For bolding and such, I find it just as easy to just type the tags. Smilies are nice though.

Same, though sometimes going through and adding a URL is easier with the button around selected text, especially if I didn't already have the link I'm using at the ready. ;-)

As a side note, I think "quick edit" had been an option with the older software, but the button for it was less prominent.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 07:51:05 PMOf course, I almost always am only using a smiley if I'm quoting someone else's post, and I always click [PREVIEW] when quoting, to make sure nothing went awry...
Fun fact: quotes actually render correctly in rich text view, which can be toggled from quick reply (although the button is instead labeled as the default-on "source view").
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I don't like it that the subject doesn't show up on every post anymore.  Often, I click on a topic, then do something else on the other monitor, then look back and forget what topic I'd clicked on.  It was nice to see it without having to scroll all the way to the top.
Male pronouns, please.

catch22

Quote from: kphoger on March 29, 2024, 01:18:20 PMI don't like it that the subject doesn't show up on every post anymore.  Often, I click on a topic, then do something else on the other monitor, then look back and forget what topic I'd clicked on.  It was nice to see it without having to scroll all the way to the top.

Not an ideal solution, but if you hover the mouse pointer over the timestamp of a message, the subject shows up in the tooltip text.

hotdogPi

I'm testing now if titles can still be changed for a single post, viewable by hovering as described. (I changed it on this post, so you can test on mine.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

74/171FAN

Yes, the title changed.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

JoePCool14

Good to know we can at least still hover to see individual title posts. It would be nice to see it brought back like it used to be though, if it's still an option in SMF.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Amaury

Quote from: catch22 on March 29, 2024, 01:27:21 PMNot an ideal solution, but if you hover the mouse pointer over the timestamp of a message, the subject shows up in the tooltip text.

There's also the browser tab itself.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

jlam

Is anybody else having problems with viewing tables? Ever since the update, tables on threads like "Lowest-numbered Route You Haven't Been On" have been completely broken. An absurd amount of space is inserted before the location of the table, and the table is completely stripped of rows and columns. Here's what I'm talking about:

LilianaUwU

Search is broken, which is super annoying when trying to find if I already posted something in Road Sign UNO.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: jlam on March 30, 2024, 12:06:00 AMIs anybody else having problems with viewing tables? Ever since the update, tables on threads like "Lowest-numbered Route You Haven't Been On" have been completely broken. An absurd amount of space is inserted before the location of the table, and the table is completely stripped of rows and columns. Here's what I'm talking about:

This isn't happening with all tables.

This tableDoes not have
the problemfor me

I wonder what's up with Rothman's tables that they end up with that giant amount of white space in front of them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 30, 2024, 03:44:58 AM
Quote from: jlam on March 30, 2024, 12:06:00 AMIs anybody else having problems with viewing tables? Ever since the update, tables on threads like "Lowest-numbered Route You Haven't Been On" have been completely broken. An absurd amount of space is inserted before the location of the table, and the table is completely stripped of rows and columns. Here's what I'm talking about:

This isn't happening with all tables.

This tableDoes not have
the problemfor me

I wonder what's up with Rothman's tables that they end up with that giant amount of white space in front of them.

I'm on Chrome on both by desktop and phone and am not seeing a "white space" issue with the tables in the lowest numbered thread.

But, I am also not seeing a table in jlam's post in here...  Looks like he's using img tags, but just with an URL? 

ETA:  Oh wait, looks like it happened on some earlier tables for some reason.  The BBCode's the same in the posts, so...whatever.  Forum's problem, not mine. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Old feature to bring back: marking a message as "New" or "Unread" after you click on the topic. It's nice that it brings you to the first unread message, but nothing marks read vs. unread messages after that as you scroll.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.