News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Things your state/province does and you like

Started by Brandon, November 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

This is about things your state or province (or even country), you like, and would like to see applied in other places as well.

As much as I bitch about IDOT (as you all know well), I do like their reflectorization along the roadways.  IDOT usually puts 2 embedded reflectors in between every other gap between lane stripes on multi-lane roads such as freeways.  I find this useful at night as the reflectors mimic the dashes for the lane striping, i.e. https://goo.gl/maps/VRZxhSqRC1U2

And this is done in IDOT District 1 (Schaumburg): D1 will try to mimic the lane striping on 2 lane roads as well.  When there is a passing zone, you will see a reflector in every other gap between lanes lines: https://goo.gl/maps/hSJB5MC3wqt.  When there is a double yellow line in the center for no passing from either direction, you have one reflector on each side of the stripes: https://goo.gl/maps/qeoKxf2cUGy.  However, if the passing zone is only in one direction, the direction that can pass will see only one set of reflectors in every other gap between dashes; and the side with the no passing zone will see what appears to be a double yellow line: https://goo.gl/maps/DQwqDhzPJT92 and https://goo.gl/maps/4buvFsMRfA32.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jwolfer

Quote from: Brandon on November 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
This is about things your state or province (or even country), you like, and would like to see applied in other places as well.

As much as I bitch about IDOT (as you all know well), I do like their reflectorization along the roadways.  IDOT usually puts 2 embedded reflectors in between every other gap between lane stripes on multi-lane roads such as freeways.  I find this useful at night as the reflectors mimic the dashes for the lane striping, i.e. https://goo.gl/maps/VRZxhSqRC1U2

And this is done in IDOT District 1 (Schaumburg): D1 will try to mimic the lane striping on 2 lane roads as well.  When there is a passing zone, you will see a reflector in every other gap between lanes lines: https://goo.gl/maps/hSJB5MC3wqt.  When there is a double yellow line in the center for no passing from either direction, you have one reflector on each side of the stripes: https://goo.gl/maps/qeoKxf2cUGy.  However, if the passing zone is only in one direction, the direction that can pass will see only one set of reflectors in every other gap between dashes; and the side with the no passing zone will see what appears to be a double yellow line: https://goo.gl/maps/DQwqDhzPJT92 and https://goo.gl/maps/4buvFsMRfA32.
I like Florida's ubiquitous use of reflectors

I like the concrete traffic light poles

I did like the colored US shields

pumpkineater2

IDOT usually puts 2 embedded reflectors in between every other gap between lane stripes on multi-lane roads such as freeways. 

If they're going to put two reflectors between every other gap, why not just put them in every gap between the lines? It's what they do here in AZ, among many other states. :confused:
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SignGeek101

Left turn traffic signals flash a green arrow here. I don't know the standard now in the US, but I think this is neat. As well, the backplate of the traffic signal is a different colour (black versus yellow) than the regular traffic signals, to alert motorists that the traffic signal is for left turn. We don't have doghouse signals here, so that is what is done.

As well, there are a few of these 'Odometer Check Signs' scattered across the province.

Begin Odometer Check Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Other than that though I'm afraid to admit that I dislike more things related to roads and signs in Manitoba than actually like and recommend.

Tarkus

As terrible as ODOT is, the one thing they did that I liked was the large-numbered "SPEED XX" signs.  Way more legible than the standard MUTCD "SPEED LIMIT XX" signs used in the other 49 states.  It looks like they'll be going the way of the dodo soon, though, as ODOT seems to be gradually liquidating the state MUTCD supplement. 

Brian556

If this topic was "Things your girlfriend does and you like", it would be a hell of a lot more interesting. Just Sayin'.

peterj920

Things I like in Wisconsin:

Traffic signals at the stop line

4 lane expressways that bypass cities/towns and eliminate stops

Interchanges between freeways/expressways are mostly high speed, and the few that aren't are planned on being converted to high speed interchanges

As a previous commenter posted, red light/speed cameras are illegal

Brandon

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on November 07, 2015, 11:53:09 PM
  IDOT usually puts 2 embedded reflectors in between every other gap between lane stripes on multi-lane roads such as freeways. 

If they're going to put two reflectors between every other gap, why not just put them in every gap between the lines? It's what they do here in AZ, among many other states. :confused:

Because it then mimics the lane stripes at night better, IMHO, than just one reflector in every gap.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SectorZ

Quote from: DaBigE on November 08, 2015, 12:45:32 AM
Wisconsin: Banning red light cameras.

Massachusetts, never allowing them in the first place.

(I am assuming WI had them and got rid of them)

TEG24601

WA -
Mostly logical State Route numbering system.
Using Roundabouts, in logical and consistent ways
Higher speeds on expressways
60MPH Speed limits on some rural highways (but not enough)
Slowing working on braiding interchanges with high traffic counts and short distances.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

DaBigE

Quote from: SectorZ on November 08, 2015, 10:57:38 AM

IIRC, Wisconsin has never had them nor have they ever been legal.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

noelbotevera

As of March 2011, eight states have banned them. That means they once had red light cameras (nine you include New Jersey, as they were up for a year before being turned off).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

dgolub

The region I'm originally from, Long Island, has a system of parkway signage where each parkway is given a letter or two to identify (e.g. N from Northern Parkway, M for Meadowbrook Parkway, SO for Southern Parkway, SA for Sagtikos Parkway, etc.).  It would be great to see that carried over to New York City, where most of the parkways have no route shields at all.

Super Mateo

I like the way IL does traffic signals.  At least 90% of the time, there's a signal on the far left side of the road, which helps visibility, especially in bright sunshine.  There are always at least two signals for straight traffic and at least two for any left turn phases.  IL also doesn't use doghouses.  I much prefer the 5-tall columns, although they serve the exact same purpose.  Spanwires are only used as temporaries (although Tinley's 175th and Oak Park has been spanwire since at least 2007).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 08, 2015, 12:09:13 PM

As of March 2011, eight states have banned them. That means they once had red light cameras (nine you include New Jersey, as they were up for a year before being turned off).

New Jersey allowed red light cameras for 5 years before the trial period ended. NJDOT now has a year to issue a report on their findings regarding the effectiveness of those cameras. It's not exactly been rushed...we're approaching the 11 month mark, and there's been nary a hint of the report.  Dec. 12 will be a year.

hbelkins

West Virginia -- using state names on interstate route markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Citing my former residence in North Carolina (while attending Duke from 1995 to 1998, though the signs in question are still used):

Signs using the imperative "Reduce Speed Ahead" instead of "Reduced Speed Ahead." It's the speed LIMIT that's reduced, not the "speed." Whether the "speed" is reduced depends on the individual driver, or on traffic as a whole, and not on the number posted on a sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignBridge

New York State DOT's almost perfect BGS format/layouts in total contrast to California's messed up, disorganized sign formats.

Also New York's traffic light standard that prohibits having a green ball to the left of a left-turn signal arrow head, unlike New Jersey and California who do use that potentially confusing practice. 

Pink Jazz

Arizona:
  • Logo signs in urban areas (since 2013)
  • Freeway travel times on dynamic message signs
  • Heavy use of Stimsonite reflectors, even in the snowy parts of the state (which in those portions they are in recessed pockets in the road)
  • Very few (if any) cloverleaf interchanges

Revive 755

For Illinois, the use of three line distance signs on rural interstates, with the next exit on the first line, next regional city on the second line, and a national control city on the bottom line.  Much nicer than the many states which only use two line distance signs.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dgolub on November 08, 2015, 01:14:07 PM
The region I'm originally from, Long Island, has a system of parkway signage where each parkway is given a letter or two to identify (e.g. N from Northern Parkway, M for Meadowbrook Parkway, SO for Southern Parkway, SA for Sagtikos Parkway, etc.).  It would be great to see that carried over to New York City, where most of the parkways have no route shields at all.
That's nice, but I've always liked the green on white NYS shields of the Upstate New York Parkways. The oval-shaped Grand Central Parkway shield is something I'd like to see for the parkways of New York City.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 08, 2015, 10:42:53 PM
For Illinois, the use of three line distance signs on rural interstates, with the next exit on the first line, next regional city on the second line, and a national control city on the bottom line.  Much nicer than the many states which only use two line distance signs.

Arizona uses three lines as well, at least on the Interstates.  I know on I-40 east of Holbrook, the first line is the next exit, the second line is Gallup, and the third is the control city (Albuquerque).

mgk920

WisDOT - Concrete as S.O.P. on new and upgraded freeways and expressways.

Mike

SteveG1988

NJ: Not allowing any state route to have the same number as a US highway or Interstate. Reduces confusion when you talk about a route.

The Jughandle is something that once you're used to it becomes great.

High speed traffic circle.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.