Four lane highways which could work as two lane roads.

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 25, 2018, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 24, 2020, 07:31:25 AM
SR 84 which is now SR 93 should never have been four landed through the Everglades.

I've been across Alligator Alley when traffic volumes justified four lanes several times, both before and after assigning I-75 to the corridor. 

I remember one time going from Miami over to Naples for a day trip.  Took US-41 across the swamplands, but my business colleague from Texas specifically wanted to ride back on Alligator Alley just to say so (a notion that sounds familiar to us Roadgeeks).  When we returned, Alligator Alley was closed down somewhere west of Miccosukee due to wildfires and we had to turn around.  He was worried that we couldn't figure our way around without a map.  Of course, it was no problem to get back to US-41, but by the time we got back to Miami the airport was closed due to smoke and our hotel was smog-filled.  We both wished we had stayed on the West Coast.

By the way, when did FDOT reassign FL-93 to the Alligator Alley section?  It's had always been secret FL-84 after the I-75 widening was completed.

hbelkins

Quote from: In_Correct on November 23, 2020, 05:30:27 PM

I am not in favour of Road Diets ...

Sometimes road diets make sense. US 127 through downtown Harrodsburg is a prime example. The road used to be four lanes undivided. It was restriped after a resurfacing project to become a two-lane road with a TWLTL in the center. That helped the flow of traffic through town because you didn't have people blocking the left lane to turn left.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 24, 2020, 09:39:32 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 24, 2020, 07:31:25 AM
SR 84 which is now SR 93 should never have been four landed through the Everglades.

I've been across Alligator Alley when traffic volumes justified four lanes several times, both before and after assigning I-75 to the corridor. 

I remember one time going from Miami over to Naples for a day trip.  Took US-41 across the swamplands, but my business colleague from Texas specifically wanted to ride back on Alligator Alley just to say so (a notion that sounds familiar to us Roadgeeks).  When we returned, Alligator Alley was closed down somewhere west of Miccosukee due to wildfires and we had to turn around.  He was worried that we couldn't figure our way around without a map.  Of course, it was no problem to get back to US-41, but by the time we got back to Miami the airport was closed due to smoke and our hotel was smog-filled.  We both wished we had stayed on the West Coast.

By the way, when did FDOT reassign FL-93 to the Alligator Alley section?  It's had always been secret FL-84 after the I-75 widening was completed.
I thought it was SR 93 now.  Maybe it is SR 84.  I guess I could look at the FDOT logs.  You could have taken the Indian road up north into Hendry County and cut across that way.

dlsterner

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 24, 2020, 09:39:32 AM

I am under the impression that FL 93 is the secret designation for most of I-75 in Florida.  There are still pieces of FL 84 both east of and west of Alligator Alley, so (just conjecture here, no proof) it could still be FL 84 as well.

In_Correct

Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2020, 03:09:08 PM

Sometimes road diets make sense. US 127 through downtown Harrodsburg is a prime example. The road used to be four lanes undivided. It was restriped after a resurfacing project to become a two-lane road with a TWLTL in the center. That helped the flow of traffic through town because you didn't have people blocking the left lane to turn left.

But that road was not wide to begin with, with no room to make the road wider. They should just keep the wide two lanes, with the left turn median, and the wide shoulders. ... with a new 4 Lane U.S. 127 Toll Road construct nearby.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Crown Victoria

PA 61 from Centralia to Mount Carmel--it probably needed 4 lanes when Centralia was populated, but now two lanes would be more than enough.

seicer

Quote from: In_Correct on November 25, 2020, 03:43:05 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2020, 03:09:08 PM

But that road was not wide to begin with, with no room to make the road wider. They should just keep the wide two lanes, with the left turn median, and the wide shoulders. ... with a new 4 Lane U.S. 127 Toll Road construct nearby.

The Harrodsburg bypass was built in 1996. No tolls needed :)

roadman65

US 301 south of Orangeburg, SC. Since I-95 has been built, 301 lost a lot of traffic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites

Quote from: tigerwings on November 23, 2020, 09:25:27 AM
Ohio 25 south of Bowling Green, between Portage and I-75. ODOT plans to reduce to 2 lanes next year.

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/road-reduction-for-ohio-25-south-of-bg-is-needed---odot-director/article_77e2a4c6-9762-11e9-838d-973dc235fc35.html

From the article:

"A road diet is ODOT jargon for reducing the lanes of a road."

Road diets are a far more developed concept than "ODOT jargon" Like only Ohio has them or other government entities call them something else.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

NY 328 coming out of Elmira to the SW (talk about a road to nowhere).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

US 59 between Linden and Jefferson could be two lanes, as I've driven through there around the holidays and it was still abandoned-feeling.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

capt.ron

Main St. in Searcy could function as a 3 lane south of the hospital. Traffic counts are low enough for a 2 lane + center turn lane + shoulders, except the area around the Wal Mart dist. center.

Rothman

NY 298 between Military and Carrier Circles in Syracuse.

DJStephens

Quote"We are not sure that we do."

... then the person, whose name is spelled more than one way in the article, needs to leave that position.

I am not in favour of Road Diets ... elimination of roads, making roads narrower. Every body loves to have the roads as narrow as possible, hence that "Cars" movie.

And then at the same time people want to eliminate speed limits and go as fast as possible despite the fuel economy, stress on engine, stress on tires, and safety of other traffic. And also they do not want to pay for the roads especially toll roads.

I even go above the speed limit, yet people want to go faster. Let them use the passing lanes that incompetent people want to remove.

The Ohio example/news story must be a mistake.  Am guessing they are going to make it a THREE lane job, with a continuous center turn lane. 
There have been several "road diets" here in las Cruces, most are a mistake, would agree.  Lack of E-W arterials have choked traffic, in a growing small/medium sized city, and show evidence of incoherent planning.   Of course, planning, decision making, and construction quality here is about the worst in the country.  They can get "away" with converting a few N-S arterials to three laners, but given the fact there is not enough E-W arterials, making any of them three laners is plain wrong.   

Avalanchez71

US 412 between Hohenwald, TN and the Maury County line.

ftballfan

seicer

Quote from: DJStephens on November 28, 2020, 11:58:21 PM

Quote"We are not sure that we do."

... then the person, whose name is spelled more than one way in the article, needs to leave that position.

I am not in favour of Road Diets ... elimination of roads, making roads narrower. Every body loves to have the roads as narrow as possible, hence that "Cars" movie.

And then at the same time people want to eliminate speed limits and go as fast as possible despite the fuel economy, stress on engine, stress on tires, and safety of other traffic. And also they do not want to pay for the roads especially toll roads.

I even go above the speed limit, yet people want to go faster. Let them use the passing lanes that incompetent people want to remove.

The Ohio example/news story must be a mistake.  Am guessing they are going to make it a THREE lane job, with a continuous center turn lane. 
There have been several "road diets" here in las Cruces, most are a mistake, would agree.  Lack of E-W arterials have choked traffic, in a growing small/medium sized city, and show evidence of incoherent planning.   Of course, planning, decision making, and construction quality here is about the worst in the country.  They can get "away" with converting a few N-S arterials to three laners, but given the fact there is not enough E-W arterials, making any of them three laners is plain wrong.   

No - it's a two-lane road (two through lanes) with turn lanes at intersections - at Kramer Road, East Main Street in Portage, Greensburg Pike, Mermill Road, Defiance Pike, and Jerry City Road. It will match the two-lane section at its most southern end.

Caps81943

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8722587,-76.3178591,14.42z

This stretch of US 360 near its eastern terminus is little more than a backroad to get to some small riverfront communities. I have no idea why this short section was built (or widened) to four lanes. Likely serves less traffic than a ton of two lane roads across the commonwealth.

I-39

1. US 141 north of WIS 22
2. US 51 north of Merrill, WI
3. Most of the four lane sections of US 67 in Illinois
4. IL-336 (not needed at all)
5. US 51 south of Decatur, IL

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 29, 2020, 02:13:14 AM
US 412 between Hohenwald, TN and the Maury County line.

This truly baffles me. This was widened and yet, it remains two lanes between Columbia and I-65 where it actually needs four lanes (and the interchange with I-65 desperately needs to be redone). So

SkyPesos

Quote from: tigerwings on November 23, 2020, 09:25:27 AM
Ohio 25 south of Bowling Green, between Portage and I-75. ODOT plans to reduce to 2 lanes next year.

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/road-reduction-for-ohio-25-south-of-bg-is-needed---odot-director/article_77e2a4c6-9762-11e9-838d-973dc235fc35.html
Also in Ohio, sometimes I wonder why US 40 is still a divided 4 lane and haven't got the Illinois US 66 treatment yet. Nearby US 42 has triple the AADT and is a 2 lane.

hbelkins

The two-lane section of the Mountain Parkway in Kentucky that they're widening to four lanes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

US 20 between I-81 and I-88 in New York is 4 lanes for nearly half the distance. None of it has an AADT over 10K and most is under 5K. The extra passing lane is nice, but it would be just fine with an alternating passing lane to get around slowpokes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hockeyjohn

Most of US-40 in Indiana - the portion both east of Greenfield and west of Plainfield is lightly travelled.   If ever downsized, the unused set of lanes would make a nice National Road biking/hiking trail across the State.

HighwayStar

In the case of old US route alignments bypassed by interstates, US 40 for example, I do think it is worth keeping the full configuration around in most cases to act as an alternative to the interstate for emergencies or major construction work, even if on a normal basis the traffic count does not justify 4 lanes.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.