US 37

Started by hbelkins, February 02, 2019, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Looking over the US Ends timeline that was posted in another thread, I see that site makes the statement that US 37 never existed.

I'm not sure where the maps are now, nor do I know where my scan is, but US 37 did appear on maps in Kentucky and Tennessee. The route followed the general route of TN 28 (now US 127) and KY 35 (also now US 127) to Albany, then KY 90 to either US 31E or 31W.

I think I had the route documented on my very first rudimentary website on the old "Fun Facts About Kentucky Highways" page, but it's long since been taken down and I have no idea where I may have saved those HTML files.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

^ I also recall it showing up on some KY and TN maps.  But I also recall it was questioned whether the route was actually signed in the field.

NE2

AASHTO tried to force it but the states said no. So mapmakers using AASHTO approvals to make changes would have shown it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

usends

That happened back during the Refinement Years, when AASHO was much more hands-on with respect to numbering decisions.  They wanted to eliminate split routes, and US 37 was their suggestion to replace one leg of the split in US 31.  They probably alerted commercial cartographers to this, which explains why US 37 was shown on some maps.  But I'm of the understanding that the states involved (Tennessee and Kentucky) never bought in to their idea, and never signposted US 37.  The Tennessee official from 1938 doesn't show it, nor does the Kentucky official from 1939.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Mapmikey

Gousha maps definitely showed a bunch of changes, many that never happened.  This list is from a Texaco map of South Carolina, dated Jan 1939 which had a map of much of the US east of the Mississippi on the reverse:

US 37 replaced 31E north of Glasgow KY and then followed KY 90 to Albany before heading south to Chattanooga along what became US 127
US 143 replaced 31E south of Glasgow KY and continued southwest of Nashville along TN 100 to at least Linden then it doesn't show how it connected with US 43 but I assume it was TN 13/AL 17 to Florence AL
US 129 extended north to replace US 25W
US 411 extended north from US 64 like it actually did so that it could also replace US 11E
US 43 extended north to Columbia TN then to Nashville, then replaces US 41W
US 11W becomes US 11
US 25E becomes US 25
US 41E becomes US 41
US 45E and 45W become 45 and 45 ALT (but the map I have doesn't say which one becomes which - they both say NEW 45
US 49E and 49W is just like the 45E/W changes
US 19E and 19W is just like the 45E/W changes though I have seen a different map that shows 19E as 19 ALT...
US 15 extended north from US 6 to Rochester NY

US 70N and 70S and US 30N and US 30S did not show any proposed changes...

bugo

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 03, 2019, 02:47:21 PM
Gousha maps definitely showed a bunch of changes, many that never happened.  This list is from a Texaco map of South Carolina, dated Jan 1939 which had a map of much of the US east of the Mississippi on the reverse.

Do you happen to have scans of this map?

Mapmikey

Quote from: bugo on March 17, 2019, 05:11:32 PM

Gousha maps definitely showed a bunch of changes, many that never happened.  This list is from a Texaco map of South Carolina, dated Jan 1939 which had a map of much of the US east of the Mississippi on the reverse.

Do you happen to have scans of this map?

bugo

Thanks! That's a great map.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Avalanchez71

Gousha maps definitely showed a bunch of changes, many that never happened.  This list is from a Texaco map of South Carolina, dated Jan 1939 which had a map of much of the US east of the Mississippi on the reverse:

US 37 replaced 31E north of Glasgow KY and then followed KY 90 to Albany before heading south to Chattanooga along what became US 127
US 143 replaced 31E south of Glasgow KY and continued southwest of Nashville along TN 100 to at least Linden then it doesn't show how it connected with US 43 but I assume it was TN 13/AL 17 to Florence AL
US 129 extended north to replace US 25W
US 411 extended north from US 64 like it actually did so that it could also replace US 11E
US 43 extended north to Columbia TN then to Nashville, then replaces US 41W
US 11W becomes US 11
US 25E becomes US 25
US 41E becomes US 41
US 45E and 45W become 45 and 45 ALT (but the map I have doesn't say which one becomes which - they both say NEW 45
US 49E and 49W is just like the 45E/W changes
US 19E and 19W is just like the 45E/W changes though I have seen a different map that shows 19E as 19 ALT...
US 15 extended north from US 6 to Rochester NY

US 70N and 70S and US 30N and US 30S did not show any proposed changes...

Looks like with the new link to the AASHTO documents we can get a clearer picture of the history.

US 43 was actually run up to Hopkinsville along what was signed as US 41W but was actually US 41A (now US 41A). 

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2019, 11:16:38 PM
Looking over the US Ends timeline that was posted in another thread, I see that site makes the statement that US 37 never existed.

I'm not sure where the maps are now, nor do I know where my scan is, but US 37 did appear on maps in Kentucky and Tennessee. The route followed the general route of TN 28 (now US 127) and KY 35 (also now US 127) to Albany, then KY 90 to either US 31E or 31W.

I think I had the route documented on my very first rudimentary website on the old "Fun Facts About Kentucky Highways" page, but it's long since been taken down and I have no idea where I may have saved those HTML files.
US 127 should be US 37 with the truncation of US 27.  US 127 now has more importance in MI.

usends

The AASHO route numbering archive contains more evidence that 37 and 143 were never signposted... certainly never in Kentucky.
Full article with more map clips and snippets from historic AASHO documents (hat tip to Mapmikey).
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Avalanchez71

In a related question, why was US 31E/US 31W first truncated in IN?  I know that the 31W section is IN is now decommissioned from state maintenance, however, it wasn't for many years after that.

Mapmikey

Quote from: usends on January 21, 2021, 07:21:50 PM
The AASHO route numbering archive contains more evidence that 37 and 143 were never signposted... certainly never in Kentucky.
Full article with more map clips and snippets from historic AASHO documents (hat tip to Mapmikey).

Much obliged...

Note that US 143 was also supposed to continue southwest on TN 100 then TN 20 west back to US 70 - the mapscan I sent wasn't clear where US 143 went south of Nashville, but there is a TDOT document in the AASHO pile where Tennessee said US 143 made zero sense to them and therefore they didn't want it.

Tennessee did eventually try to get TN 100-TN 20 into the system as US 70A but AASHO said they could do that only if they got rid of the 70A that was a little west of there (i.e. the current US 70A) and it reads to me like AASHO also said they had to ditch one of the 70 brnaches east of Nashville too.

Tenneesee declined...

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 25, 2021, 09:49:42 AM
In a related question, why was US 31E/US 31W first truncated in IN?  I know that the 31W section is IN is now decommissioned from state maintenance, however, it wasn't for many years after that.

Probably because of the closure of the K&I Bridge to vehicular traffic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2021, 12:14:12 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 25, 2021, 09:49:42 AM

Probably because of the closure of the K&I Bridge to vehicular traffic.

Oh that does make sense.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.