Standard Road Signs That Are Rare In Certain States

Started by thenetwork, September 16, 2020, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 08, 2020, 02:23:37 PM

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2020, 04:20:18 PM
Also a bit surprised that no one has brought up the "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign. Probably since it has its own thread, but it is a standard road sign and is rare in the vast majority of states.

since you mention it... i always wondered about those signs.  i remember seeing on at an entrance to i-80 somewhere in nevada, and thinking to myself why would they even need this sign..

bumping along random county road in nevada 'gee, whats this thing over my head with all the cars whizzing by?'

So, if you're in or on something that's prohibited on a freeway, or if your vehicle isn't up to freeway speeds due to maintenance or other issues, then you know not to go there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2020, 02:01:47 PM

Also a bit surprised that no one has brought up the "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign. Probably since it has its own thread, but it is a standard road sign and is rare in the vast majority of states.

since you mention it... i always wondered about those signs.  i remember seeing on at an entrance to i-80 somewhere in nevada, and thinking to myself why would they even need this sign..

bumping along random county road in nevada 'gee, whats this thing over my head with all the cars whizzing by?'

So, if you're in or on something that's prohibited on a freeway, or if your vehicle isn't up to freeway speeds due to maintenance or other issues, then you know not to go there.

Wouldn't the Interstate Shield be a giveaway for that?

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2020, 02:04:53 PM

It would provide a backup if the Interstate sign gets knocked down, whether by a car or by strong winds. I've also seen signs that rotate when they were hit by vehicles and are facing the wrong way.

Then there are the signs that say "I-80 West second left". Do driveways and parking lots count as a street? A freeway entrance sign would make it obvious which one to use.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2020, 02:04:53 PM

Perhaps.  But not all freeways are Interstates.  Besides which, there are other reasons to designate the official beginning of freeway-related restrictions.

For example, I used to do a bit of hitchhiking back before I was married.  One of my goals was to hitchhike from a legal spot whenever possible.  So, unless there was some reason against doing so, I always made sure to stand in front of this type of sign, because it was commonly accepted that hitchhiking from beyond that point was in violation of the pedestrian prohibition.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

How many states use the PROHIBITED signs at freeway entrances?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

fillup420

Quote from: index on September 17, 2020, 05:48:55 AM
No passing zone pennants are essentially nonexistent here in NC. I have never seen one before except this lone one in Mecklenburg County. No clue where it was.

I travel all over the state for work and I see those frequently..

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

stevashe

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on November 07, 2020, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2020, 07:01:59 PM
I recently read that WA's WAC (Washington Administrative Code) bans both "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD" and "HILL BLOCKS VIEW" signs. So don't look for those in WA.

Also, "RAMP METER AHEAD" "RAMP METERED WHEN FLASHING" are not permitted. WA uses "RAMP METERED AHEAD WHEN FLASHING" instead.

I know I have seen "hill blocks view" in Washington multiple times. I just can't remember where.

Here's one: https://goo.gl/maps/QBNeeeisP6CDipwK6

Jake's right though, they aren't supposed to be used per the WA MUTCD supplement.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: stevashe on December 24, 2020, 01:57:56 AM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on November 07, 2020, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2020, 07:01:59 PM
I recently read that WA's WAC (Washington Administrative Code) bans both "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD" and "HILL BLOCKS VIEW" signs. So don't look for those in WA.

Also, "RAMP METER AHEAD" "RAMP METERED WHEN FLASHING" are not permitted. WA uses "RAMP METERED AHEAD WHEN FLASHING" instead.

I know I have seen "hill blocks view" in Washington multiple times. I just can't remember where.

Here's one: https://goo.gl/maps/QBNeeeisP6CDipwK6

Jake's right though, they aren't supposed to be used per the WA MUTCD supplement.

There is also one on Stanwood-Bryant Road at SR9, north of Arlington. Street View doesn't show it, so it must be fairly new.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

SkyPesos

Based on what I got on this thread, enhanced mile markers pretty much don't exist in a good amount of states, like CA, WA, TX, etc.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 26, 2020, 08:40:47 PM
Based on what I got on this thread, enhanced mile markers pretty much don't exist in a good amount of states, like CA, WA, TX, etc.

Coming from Texas, enhanced mile markers are a pleasant exception instead of the standard. 

On the other hand, there are state that can't make up their mind if they go standard or enhanced (looking at you Louisiana).

interstatefan990

Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2020, 08:50:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 16, 2020, 08:41:01 PM
Interchange sequence signs, like this one, are noticeably absent in New York. And of course, any speed limit sign higher than 65 mph applies here as well.
As are signs that simply say "speed limit 55", as they're all supposed to say "state speed limit 55".

Regarding the sequence signs, there are more of them than there used to be, though they're still not really common.
Another honorable mention for NY is the "END XX MPH LIMIT"  sign, where a speed zone of usually 35, 40, or 45 mph reverts back to the statewide statutory limits, most of the time 55 mph unless in a residential or city area. It's used a lot around here. I could be wrong, but you'd be hard pressed to find this sign used much elsewhere, except for a handful of other states. I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on this forum before.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

US71

I've seen Bear Crossing in Louisiana, but nowhere else to my recollection.

Illinois likes to use crossroad or sideroad signs with the name of the road underneath, but Arkansas rarely posts road names.

thenetwork

Here's another interesting query:

What states have yet to use in-road route shield pavement markings?  These are normally found at major intersections using actual route shields (not text numbers) for individual lanes on or off freeways.

Offhand, I do know that they do them in Ohio and Colorado and I believe Utah as well.

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on December 30, 2020, 06:33:36 PM

What states have yet to use in-road route shield pavement markings?  These are normally found at major intersections using actual route shields (not text numbers) for individual lanes on or off freeways.

Offhand, I do know that they do them in Ohio and Colorado and I believe Utah as well.

I want to say the first place I ever saw them was in New Mexico (before Utah put a few in maybe 5-10 years ago). Here's one example on I-40 at I-25...interestingly, I thought I remembered them being a bit more widespread in that interchange.

US71

Arkansas uses them sometimes, mostly around Little Rock and West Memphis.

I've seen some in Missouri, as well.

CtrlAltDel

There used to be one where I-88 connects with I-294 and I-290, but they were removed at some point, as you can see if you click and change the date in Street View.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CoreySamson

Texas does shield pavement markings frequently in Houston and San Antonio, but I don't think DFW or any rural areas have them. I tend to like them better than any guide sign, be it APL or diagrammatical, as it directly shows you where your lane goes.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Illinois took down most of the Deer crossing signs because you need to expect them everywhere.

RobbieL2415

ConnDOT has never used, to my knowledge:

*Takes deep breath*

- "Dip" warning sign
- CR signs
- "Speed humps" graphical sign
- "U and left turns"
- "Begin right turn here"
- any road bend warning sign with the insert advisory speed limit. They're always posted below it.
- Any pink toll signage
- Any civil defense signage
-;Any ramp meter signage
- any supplementary signs under yield signs,
- nighttime or truck speed limit
- begin/end higher fines zone
- any photo enforcement signs
- speed zone
- The " no going straight" movement sign
- reverse lane signs
- No rollerblading and no horseback riding
- any of the headlight signs
- hazardous cargo signs
- "Hill blocks view"
- "Golf carts ahead", "stagecoaches ahead" warning signs
- Warning signs for bears, sheep, moose, bighorn sheep, donkies, cows, snowmobiles, or the alternate deer pictogram
-Movement signs for exit ramps with an option lane
- The Eisenhower Interstate sign
- any toll pictograms
- bus lane signs
- service pictograms for: camping, trailer camping, litter container, handicapped, van accessible, CNG fuel, E85 fuel, RV sanitary station, propane gas, pharmacy, TTY, WI-FI
-The Interstate Oasis sign
-Brake check or chain up area service signs
-A majority of the brown recreational signs and pictograms
-Evacuation route signs
-Fallout shelter signs

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.