News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What states mark the names of roads on freeway overpasses, and which ones don't?

Started by KCRoadFan, October 27, 2020, 09:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about how, when it comes to freeway overpasses, some states tend to mark them with a small green sign bearing the name of the road that crosses the bridge (visible to drivers on the freeway), whereas others prefer to leave theirs unmarked.

As for states I've spent a lot of time in, Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, Indiana, and Pennsylvania seem to mark most of their overpasses, while in Iowa, Ohio, and Illinois, they largely go unsigned. What are the conventions in other states?

thspfc

Wisconsin does. Milwaukee specifically is very consistent about it.

Revive 755

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 27, 2020, 09:55:37 PM
As for states I've spent a lot of time in, Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, Indiana, and Pennsylvania seem to mark most of their overpasses, while in Iowa, Ohio, and Illinois, they largely go unsigned. What are the conventions in other states?

The Illinois Tollway seems to usually mark the overpasses, and it doesn't seem too hard to find markings for overpasses in the Chicago IDOT District.

webny99

New York is pretty consistent with a small sign on the bridge itself, example here, but I prefer the more visible PA-style standalone signs, like this one.
Notably, however, New York doesn't typically sign underpasses, only overpasses.

STLmapboy

I was just thinking about how, when it comes to freeway overpasses, some states tend to mark them with a small green sign bearing the name of the road that crosses the bridge (visible to drivers on the freeway), whereas others prefer to leave theirs unmarked.

Missouri is half-and-half. Here are some typical MO bridge examples I just found.

Clearance posting is also sporadic (more so than naming overpasses). The sign typically goes on the bridge itself, not on a ground post, though exceptions exist. And then, of course, there are the big artsy bridges that loudly declare the road name.

And MO doesn't sign underpasses to my knowledge, like NY.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

Arizona does.  It was hard to miss Sore Finger Road on I-10 west of Phoenix. 

Great Lakes Roads

I know that West Virginia does...

EDIT: Never mind, West Virginia does not, but I know that Kentucky does do it...

US 89

The majority of Georgia's overpasses are labeled. Whether the whole sign is still there is another story...many of the signs on the Connector are half gone.

Utah sometimes marks theirs but is by no means regular about it. Most of the marked overpasses seem to be in the Davis County area.

mapman

I wish California did.  I think it help in navigating while driving.

jakeroot

Once common in WA, but the practice seems to have died off. Looking at projects along I-405 and WA-16, they're very hard to come by. Older underpasses and overpasses seem to have the majority of examples.

In BC, the practice is hit and miss. The reconstruction of Hwy 1 included a bunch of new examples (dozens, in fact), but there are plenty of overpasses and underpasses without anything. I would say more overpasses and underpasses have them than not, but it's not a firm practice.

Flint1979

tylert120

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2020, 10:25:11 PM
New York is pretty consistent with a small sign on the bridge itself, example here, but I prefer the more visible PA-style standalone signs, like this one.

I think in PA it depends what district you are in. In the Pittsburgh area, most are marked on the bridge itself. Up around Erie, like the example you posted, it seems most are ground mounted.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 28, 2020, 05:54:31 AM
I know that Michigan does.
Most times.  Sometimes the road name is omitted if there is another sign on the bridge, e.g. upcoming exit(s).  Perhaps to avoid info overload?

jeffandnicole

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Massachusetts does so on overpasses but not underpasses. For some reason, the Mass Pike always posts the street name, even if it has a route number. Elsewhere, the route number takes priority.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

frankenroad

Ohio used to  - but they seem to have mostly discontinued that practice in the last 15-20 years.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

JoePCool14

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 27, 2020, 10:12:06 PM

The Illinois Tollway seems to usually mark the overpasses, and it doesn't seem too hard to find markings for overpasses in the Chicago IDOT District.

IDOT definitely marks them in the Chicago area. As for the rest of the state, it is hit-or-miss from what I've seen.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on October 28, 2020, 07:48:49 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 28, 2020, 05:54:31 AM
I know that Michigan does.
Most times.  Sometimes the road name is omitted if there is another sign on the bridge, e.g. upcoming exit(s).  Perhaps to avoid info overload?
Yeah like the opposite of this one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4150293,-83.8910555,3a,75y,210.73h,91.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOpIXkaYoqmzhQU0XvDaDYg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That bridge though is going to be demolished real soon and is no longer used, a replacement bridge has been built next to it.

jemacedo9

Quote from: tylert120 on October 28, 2020, 07:31:17 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2020, 10:25:11 PM

I think in PA it depends what district you are in. In the Pittsburgh area, most are marked on the bridge itself. Up around Erie, like the example you posted, it seems most are ground mounted.
PA varies by district.  SE PA (District 6-0) for the longest time didn't have any signage.  Then there was a project about 15 years ago to sign all overpasses AND underpasses with ground-mounted signs.  Most of the rest of PA seems to have overpasses only bridge-mounted except maybe the Erie area (District 1-0).

The PA Turnpike also for the longest time didn't have any signage...but about 20 years ago maybe, added bridge-mounted signage.

NY - the Thruway is bridge mounted, and the same with the Rochester area freeways.  But I-390 and I-86 (at least between I-390 and I-99) are ground mounted overpasses and underpasses.

roadman65

South Carolina uses a letter S followed by two sets of numbers. I believed these are the unnamed roads that have numbers while numbered routes like US 15 would have it marked as such.

[https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50399008396_b5d772a664_4k_d.jpg[/i]

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: 1 on October 28, 2020, 09:01:21 AM
Massachusetts does so on overpasses but not underpasses. For some reason, the Mass Pike always posts the street name, even if it has a route number. Elsewhere, the route number takes priority.

The newer overpass street name signs on the Mass Pike (installed during the recent West Stockbridge to Auburn and Auburn to Boston sign projects) do not include the street name if the overcrossing road is a numered route.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

froggie

Vermont doesn't.

New Hampshire does some, but I'm not sure if they do all.

Alabama didn't until about 15 years ago, then they instituted a program to add such signs to Interstate overpasses, even those that had interchanges.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota did stop marking overpasses within an interchange (some marked interchange overpasses remain, mostly on I-394 with a couple holdovers other places)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.