News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What states mark the names of roads on freeway overpasses, and which ones don't?

Started by KCRoadFan, October 27, 2020, 09:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

Quote from: mapman on October 28, 2020, 12:59:37 AM
I wish California did.  I think it help in navigating while driving.

In general, CalTrans does. They just don't always mark them so that the public can see them. AZDoT seems to do it very consistently on the overpass over approximately the middle of the road. I'm not sure, but AZDoT may not mark the overpasses that have the same names as the exits that are signed, but they seem to get all (or almost all) of the others on I-10. It's sort of like signing an intersection, even though you can't turn onto the cross street.

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2020, 12:56:48 PM
Alabama didn't until about 15 years ago, then they instituted a program to add such signs to Interstate overpasses, even those that had interchanges.

Washington, for the longest time, also did not discern between interchange and non interchange road (new example, older example).

In doing more research, newer examples are not as rare in WA as I previously thought. Still, they've become rarer.

kphoger

Mexico has a habit of naming bridges.  Practically every little stream the highway crosses over comes with a road sign telling you what it is.  Some of the names are just that of the body of water, while others have unique names.  But some get rather inane, such as this bridge over an old alignment, whose name translates to "Highway Underpass Bridge".

You can even find named pedestrian overpasses, such as this one nearby, whose name translates to "El Mesón Pedestrian Way".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bitmapped

The Ohio Turnpike marks bridges. As others have noted, Ohio DOT itself generally does not.

West Virginia consistently posts bridge clearances, but not road names on bridges.

machias

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2020, 10:25:11 PM
New York is pretty consistent with a small sign on the bridge itself, example here, but I prefer the more visible PA-style standalone signs, like this one.
Notably, however, New York doesn't typically sign underpasses, only overpasses.

NYSDOT is consistent within regions, but can vary from region to region. For example, R3 tends to mount the sign on the overpass, R4 tends to mount it next to the overpass. R2 doesn't do it at all.

vdeane

Quote from: machias on October 28, 2020, 07:45:41 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2020, 10:25:11 PM
New York is pretty consistent with a small sign on the bridge itself, example here, but I prefer the more visible PA-style standalone signs, like this one.
Notably, however, New York doesn't typically sign underpasses, only overpasses.

NYSDOT is consistent within regions, but can vary from region to region. For example, R3 tends to mount the sign on the overpass, R4 tends to mount it next to the overpass. R2 doesn't do it at all.
Yep, and underpasses can vary by where you are as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2020, 09:49:19 AM
South Carolina uses a letter S followed by two sets of numbers. I believed these are the unnamed roads that have numbers while numbered routes like US 15 would have it marked as such.

[https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50399008396_b5d772a664_4k_d.jpg[/i]

I believe that is just the designation for a South Carolina secondary highway. The first set of numbers refers to the county, the second to the individual route. The 27 on the picture above means that's in Jasper County.

wriddle082

About 20 years ago, Tennessee started marking them in urban areas only with blue signs.  I think it coincided with the initial installation of 2/10 mile reference markers.  Wish they would do it all over the state, especially since they seem to now be posting the reference markers in rural areas now.

J3ebrules

New Jersey! They do indeed mark the overpasses of roads. Even sometimes roads that don't exist! (Referring to Tri-Borough road on NJ 24; still marked as a testament to the failure).
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

hbelkins

Kentucky is hit-and-miss. When I was growing up, route numbers were marked, but local roads were not. The practice was discontinued for many years, even though the marking of them was noted in the state's signage policy. Over the last 20 years, the practice has resumed, although not all districts mark unnumbered local roads that are known only by name. There are a few instances of this on I-75 in District 6.

West Virginia does not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Virginia does generally with road name and route number (usually secondary).  There are a fair number that are route number only (it could be a VDOT district thing)

North Carolina does route number only in the modern era.  Originally they did road name only for non-primary routes.

I-55

Alabama didn't until about 15 years ago, then they instituted a program to add such signs to Interstate overpasses, even those that had interchanges.

These signs also include the mile marker at the bridge.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

mrcmc888

Georgia's overpass markings are consistent, Tennessee's and Virginia's less so.

US 89

They have them on more than just interstates though. I know for sure the US 80 freeway in Phenix City has them.

STLmapboy

Texas does not typically (save Fort Worth, which also puts the block number). They are, however, extremely consistent about clearance signs, and signs warning of those clearance signs.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadman65

The NJ Turnpike would use the milepost to identify overpasses as that particular freeway does not even sign counties or municipalities along it.  Heck, I do not think river names are used, but I could be wrong on that one.

Kansas is another one that uses mileposts on overpasses for identification purposes on the KTA.  Some use three digits to the right of the decimal to make it seem like a larger number than really is, but  just look to the left of the decimal and you will soon figure it out.  Though KTA still does in some cases use names in addition to the milepost number.  Even on the former Emporia overpass for Exit 127, it used to read "EMPORIA INTERCHANGE" to identify the road name being it is more of the ramp system even though I-35 S Bound did use that bridge to loop around onto the toll road.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on October 30, 2020, 12:08:07 AM
Kansas is another one that uses mileposts on overpasses for identification purposes on the KTA.  Some use three digits to the right of the decimal to make it seem like a larger number than really is, but  just look to the left of the decimal and you will soon figure it out.

These are technically not mileposts but bridge numbers that are milepost-based. There are a few instances where rather than using an actual milepost, a bridge gets the same bridge number as a nearby, related bridge with an "A" suffix.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Nevada marks the names of overpasses along freeways, but seems to be more of an outlier in its implementation.

The original implementation of this was along the US 95 freeway in northwest Las Vegas in the late 1990s-early 2000s, from approximately Washington Avenue to Lone Mountain Road. A small street name sign was affixed to the overpass. To my knowledge, this is the only stretch of freeway in Nevada to ever do it this way.

Beginning in the 2000s, NDOT (and Clark County, in the case of CC-215) incorporates the street name as part of the aesthetic treatment on the bridge, either engraved or as a separately-affixed decoration element. Since different projects have different aesthetics, all these overpass markings look different–in many cases, the example here is representative of similar treatments along a stretch of freeway where a major corridor enhancement was constructed or where NDOT/Clark County has adopted a corridor design scheme. While this practice started in the Las Vegas area, it spread to northern Nevada in the 2010s.

Comparison:
Other examples (with approximate bridge construction or aesthetic install dates):
However, it is not a practice in Nevada for the name of the cross street for freeway underpasses to be marked in any way. I've never seen it done.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: frankenroad on October 28, 2020, 09:26:36 AM
Ohio used to  - but they seem to have mostly discontinued that practice in the last 15-20 years.
I'll give a third different answer concerning Ohio. When the interstates were first completed, they had signs on all the bridges. Over time, those signs disappeared, be it from the signs falling apart, or ODOT deciding not to replace them after repainting the bridges. Since 2000, ODOT has occasionally signed roads (I-71 in Ashland Co, I-75 in Hancock Co, I-271 in Cuyahoga Co), but its too inconsistent to get a pattern. (sort of like exit numbers for non-interstate freeways) 
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

MCRoads

Oklahoma does not post street names on bridges , but very consistently posts hight signs, even for almost unreachable heights (they seem to not mark them over 20'), and rediculus angles.

Found some exceptions to the 20 ft rule:

https://goo.gl/maps/x1HuzCW3jzjZu1Fr6
https://goo.gl/maps/b7neEx66VhzLN6958 (Weird angle as well!)
https://goo.gl/maps/DaQ7EfZqANK7sy5c8 (ditto)
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

CoreySamson

Pretty sure Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee don't do it very often if at all.

Although Alabama does, and I love the way they do it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hobsini2

In my experience...
Wisconsin...
All state highway and county highway bridges are signed. The locally named streets are signed about 3/4 of the time especially in Milwaukee, Oshkosh/Appleton/Fox Cities/Green Bay and Madison.
Illinois...
All tollway overpasses are signed. North of I-80 and East of Route 59, all other interstate bridges are signed. Downstate, about 1/4 are signed.
Indiana...
90% of all bridges are signed. The new bridges over I-69 between Bloomington and Evansville are not labelled too many times. But they all have these little blue markers like this...https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3039224,-86.5167513,3a,15y,25.54h,85.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV77guxYD-bJmodHLFKpAmg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
They correspond with the mileage markers.
Tennessee...
In Nashville, they are signed well. Outside of Davidson County, not much.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 29, 2020, 08:28:14 AM
Virginia does generally with road name and route number (usually secondary).  There are a fair number that are route number only (it could be a VDOT district thing)
There are one or two on I-64 west of VA 288 that have the road name greened out, with just the route number visible now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

plain

Another VA example is RMTA's Downtown Expressway (VA 195), though many have been taken off the overpasses themselves and mounted on the ground instead.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.