News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highways numbered 200 - which states have them, and how prominent are they?

Started by KCRoadFan, November 11, 2020, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

As some of you may recall, I created a post about highways with the number 100, in honor of it being my 100th post. Well, here we are with post number 200 - and I figured I might as well ask a similar question, about highways with the number 200!

Of course, as everyone (or at least those up north) knows, the most famous Highway 200 is the series of state highways that spans more than 1,200 miles across Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota. I guess my question is this: aside from those four northern states, what other states are there that have a Highway 200, and how important or prominent of a role might those roads play in their states' road networks?

Great Lakes Roads

Scott5114

Nothing with that number in Oklahoma. We do have a 209, but that's the only state highway number in the 200s aside from the oddball 251A.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Utah has a 200. It is a minor section line road in the Cache Valley that goes north from SR 61 to the Idaho line, from which the road continues north to Preston as a county road.

Apparently it was part of the original Logan-Preston road. It was part of SR 1 up until the early 1920s, but it was never US 91 as that has always taken the eastern route via Franklin, ID.

oscar

Hawaii 200 cuts across the Big Island, and is part of the most direct connection between its main population centers Hilo and Kailua-Kona. It was once notoriously dangerous, and off-limits to most rental vehicles. Now it's one of the state's best highways, and much of it has a 60mph speed limit otherwise reserved for Interstate freeways.

Virginia 200 is about 20 miles long, in the Northern Neck region.

Maryland 200 is a toll road through the northern D.C. metro area.

For others, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highways_numbered_200
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

M3100

I'm not sure if Nevada has one; there is a 206 near Lake Tahoe.  It is not a major highway.

cpzilliacus

Maryland has had a Route 200 on the planning maps for many decades (and it would show up in the MDOT/SHA Highway Location Reference as Route 200-UL as far back as the 1980's and maybe 1970's), as in the InterCounty Connector (ICC). 

It is certainly the most-controversial Maryland highway project during my lifetime (1960's to now), and there is a Wikipedia article which discusses the history and some of the associated controversies.  After decades of arguments and anger and bitter opposition by area Greens and Smart Growth advocates, the westernmost segment started construction in 2007, and the eastern stub (I-95 to U.S. 1) was opened to traffic (completing the project) in 2014.

It was when it opened, one of the first all-electronic toll roads in the eastern United States and the first in Maryland, and given its controversial past, I think it is a pretty prominent freeway-class road.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

GenExpwy

NY 200 is one of New York's least significant routes, about 1.4 miles long, serving the hamlet of Harford Mills in a corner of Cortland County. It is evidently considered an east—west road even though its endpoints are almost exactly north—south.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

GaryV

Avalanchez71

Tennessee has one but it isn't much of anything.  It runs from Lexington, TN to Henderson, TN.

1995hoo

I just want to make sure Maryland 200, the Intercounty Connector, gets a mention.

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheGrassGuy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highways_numbered_200

AL, AR, CA, CT, FL, GA, ID, KY, ME, MD, NM, NY, NC, OR, SC, TN, TX (as normal, spur, and FM), UT, and VA have them.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

hotdogPi

CT 200 should (fictional highways) be part of CT 131 with a slight reroute on the western end and be extended to US 44 (in Rhode Island) to the east.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

froggie

Dirt Roads

The Carolinas have a multi-state NC-200/SC-200.  From the old numbering system, NC-200 was the lowest numbered branch off of former NC-20, which is mostly represented by US-74 east of Asheville and US-70 west of there.

Buck87

Ohio does not have one, but did have 3 short lived versions back in the 20s and 30s.

roadman65

Interesting situation about Floridas SR 200. Most of it is unsigned because it runs concurrent with US 301 from Ocala to Callahan. Due to this, it appears to have two distinct  segments, but in reality does not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2020, 10:40:16 AM
Interesting situation about Floridas SR 200. Most of it is unsigned because it runs concurrent with US 301 from Ocala to Callahan. Due to this, it appears to have two distinct segments, but in reality does not.

You beat me to this one.  Less that 8 months after being relocated out of Jacksonville, I get called down to help out on a project in Callahan.  This clinched FL-200 for me (long before I even realized that US-301 was unsigned FL-200).  Although I've travelled on US-301 again several times in the past 30 years or so, I'm sure this one in unclinched since there have been some bypasses and reroutings over time.

Also, this is one of the few major even-numbered Florida state routes that runs primarily north-south.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 12, 2020, 10:58:38 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2020, 10:40:16 AM
Interesting situation about Floridas SR 200. Most of it is unsigned because it runs concurrent with US 301 from Ocala to Callahan. Due to this, it appears to have two distinct segments, but in reality does not.

You beat me to this one.  Less that 8 months after being relocated out of Jacksonville, I get called down to help out on a project in Callahan.  This clinched FL-200 for me (long before I even realized that US-301 was unsigned FL-200).  Although I've travelled on US-301 again several times in the past 30 years or so, I'm sure this one in unclinched since there have been some bypasses and reroutings over time.

Also, this is one of the few major even-numbered Florida state routes that runs primarily north-south.

The x00 routes in FL are specifically set out to be diagonal routes and not east-west routes.  So north-south could fit in with the diagonal routine.

BrianP

In MD, no no not the ICC :bigass:, there used to be a MD 200 in Capitol Heights.  It was not a major route. It used to connect MD 4 to MD 214.  But both of those state routes were rerouted.  Which could be why 200 was decommissioned. 

STLmapboy

MO, unfortunately, is 200-less. We have a 190 and a 202, though.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.