News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Furthest away control point for major cities

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 17, 2020, 02:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stwoodbury

Quote from: bluecountry on November 20, 2020, 10:37:27 AM
Quote from: stwoodbury on November 17, 2020, 03:03:47 PM

For Baltimore: New York (for some reason not Philadelphia)

iPhone

Where in NY do you see Baltimore?  I never have.

I have seen 'New York' signed on the Mass Pike WB entrance at Copley Square in Boston; and at 395 in DC.
I see signs for New York on I-95 in Baltimore, not the other way around.

iPhone

1995hoo

The furthest south I'm aware of for New York (signed as "New York City") is on northbound I-95 at Exit 161 in Virginia. But that's only about 260 miles from New York City, whereas the ones in Ohio where I-76 and I-80 come together to enter and leave the Ohio Turnpike are about 400 miles from New York City.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2020, 07:36:08 AM
Edited to add: Clicking through that area on Street View just now, I don't see any signs that list Atlanta–most list only Durham for I-85, except for the one sign that lists South Hill and Blackstone (I assume the odd order with the more distant South Hill listed first is due to Blackstone being along US-460, not I-85).
At least one of the recently replaced signs within 2 miles still lists Atlanta, plus there's a sign north of the I-95 / I-295 northern junction that tells traffic bound to I-85 South Durham / Atlanta use I-95 South.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 17, 2020, 02:49:01 PM
Charlotte appears on I-77 north of its concurrency with I-81, some 138 miles away. Not sure whether that's the furthest sign for that city.
Charlotte and Richmond are both mentioned on an auxiliary sign along I-64 East / I-77 South at their split in Beckley, WV.

Roughly 200 miles to Charlotte and 275 miles to Richmond.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

(From "Ohio" to other parts...)
Fort Wayne, In, 110 miles (via US 33 from East Liberty/Honda plant)
Erie, Pa, 127 miles (from I-71 @ Oh 18, with signs for I-271 NB)
Pittsburgh, 155 miles (there is a stray Pittsburgh control city sign on I-70 EB @ Buckeye Lake)
https://goo.gl/maps/MAMxsFjju2VQVUYk7
Chicago, 243 miles (from I-80/90 @ I-280/Oh420, SW of Toledo)
New York (City), 403 miles (from the I-76/80 *bump*, west of Youngstown)

(Into "Ohio" from elsewhere...)
Columbus, 198 miles from New Stanton, PA & the west junction of I-76/70
(or...) Columbus, 175 miles from I-65/70 in Indianapolis.
Cleveland, 162 miles from New Stanton, PA & the west junction of I-76/70
Toledo, 214 miles from I-65 @ I-80/94 near Gary, In.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: interstate73 on November 20, 2020, 07:08:46 AM
A little off the beaten path, but when I studied abroad in Italy last year I was fascinated that long-distance control cities were sometimes signed on surface streets in Rome, like here in Porta San Paolo. Florence is around 180 miles away from this point by road, and Naples around 140, with the others being a bit closer (Fiumicino less than 20, Civitavecchia about 50, and L'Aquila about 75). Lots of other points around the city, and others cities in Italy I went to, where there are similar displays!

Years ago, at the intersection where US 25W and TN 63 split in LaFollette, there was a sign for Cincinnati (which was misspelled) for 25W north. I have a photo somewhere.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on November 20, 2020, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: interstate73 on November 20, 2020, 07:08:46 AM
A little off the beaten path, but when I studied abroad in Italy last year I was fascinated that long-distance control cities were sometimes signed on surface streets in Rome, like here in Porta San Paolo. Florence is around 180 miles away from this point by road, and Naples around 140, with the others being a bit closer (Fiumicino less than 20, Civitavecchia about 50, and L'Aquila about 75). Lots of other points around the city, and others cities in Italy I went to, where there are similar displays!

Years ago, at the intersection where US 25W and TN 63 split in LaFollette, there was a sign for Cincinnati (which was misspelled) for 25W north. I have a photo somewhere.
When I first read this I was bewildered, but it's a classic case of regional deception, as I like to call it. Tennessee and Cincinnati are undoubtedly in different regions. Cincinnati, being north of the Ohio and not part of the Confereracy, is usually viewed as a northern city, while Tennessee has always been viewed as a southern state. But really they're not far apart. It's just Kentucky, a not very tall state, in between.

wanderer2575

From Detroit, the control city for westbound I-94 is Chicago (280 miles).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 17, 2020, 02:35:28 PM
MSP: Madison

Madison is 252 miles from the east 94/494/694 interchange.

Others:
Duluth (140 miles from first mention on I-35E at I-694)
Albert Lea (85 miles via I-35W, 87 via I-35E from first mentions at I-494)
Rochester (75 miles from first mention, US 52 at I-494)
Mankato (62 miles from first mention, US 169 at MN 13)
St. Cloud (60 miles from first mention, JCT I-94/694 in Brooklyn Center)
Stillwater (15 miles from first mention, MN 36 at I-35E in Maplewood)
Hastings (10 miles from first mention, US 10/61 at I-494)
Wayzata (2 miles west of I-394/494 on US 12)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bickendan

[New] Delhi: Kolkata, 1200 km (750 miles)
Note: GMSV doesn't exist in India, and the Goog estimates it to be 1450-1550 km by its routings, so I'm not sure if the control sign on AH1/NH19 is closer to Bardhamann or Kolkata.

thspfc

Guess I'll list all of Madison's others as well.
Chicago - 150 miles
La Crosse - 140 miles
Milwaukee - 80 miles
Wisconsin Dells - 55 miles
Dodgeville - 45 miles (this is a boneheaded control city that needs to be switched with either Verona or Dubuque)
Janesville - 40 miles
Spring Green - 35 miles (don't like this one either, would rather have Cross Plains)

That's pretty much everything over 10-ish miles, unless you count Portage being signed on US-51 in DeForest or Monroe on WI-69 near Verona.

iowahighways

For Des Moines, a few signs along eastbound I-80 list Chicago (340 miles) as the destination, even though most signs in the area list Davenport (170 miles) instead. Chicago isn’t even mentioned on distance signs along I-80 until you pass Iowa City, and isn’t the regularly-posted control city until you reach Davenport.

The furthest control city that is regularly posted would be Minneapolis for I-35 north (245 miles).
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: iowahighways on November 20, 2020, 10:52:13 PM
For Des Moines, a few signs along eastbound I-80 list Chicago (340 miles) as the destination, even though most signs in the area list Davenport (170 miles) instead. The farthest control city that is regularly posted would be Minneapolis for I-35 north (245 miles).
Well in Boston, I think a singular NYC sign would be the furthest signed city.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thspfc on November 20, 2020, 04:16:21 PM
Tennessee and Cincinnati are undoubtedly in different regions. Cincinnati, being north of the Ohio and not part of the Confereracy, is usually viewed as a northern city, while Tennessee has always been viewed as a southern state. But really they're not far apart. It's just Kentucky, a not very tall state, in between.

It is the thickest part of Kentucky though at that point, about 175 miles.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

michravera

Quote from: DTComposer on November 17, 2020, 08:51:51 PM
Los Angeles and Sacramento (each have the other as a control on I-5): 384 miles

San Jose has Los Angeles as a control on US-101: 340 miles

Same mutuality with Las Vegas and Salt Lake (just under 500 mi) and Reno and Salt Lake (just a bit over 500 mi). Reno may even show up as a control city (previous inquiries prove that it shows up on distance signs and is more or less "continuously posted" thereafter) even EAST of Salt Lake.

Russia is going to have signs that dwarf anything anywhere else in the world and they only post to their frontier. IIRC, Someone posted a picture of a trailblazer distance sign that showed almost 4000 km to a city on the Polish frontier. ... and that wasn't a "novelty" sign. They could have posted the distance to Istanbul or even to Gibraltar, if they had wanted to be novel.

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 21, 2020, 12:39:41 AM
Quote from: thspfc on November 20, 2020, 04:16:21 PM
Tennessee and Cincinnati are undoubtedly in different regions. Cincinnati, being north of the Ohio and not part of the Confereracy, is usually viewed as a northern city, while Tennessee has always been viewed as a southern state. But really they're not far apart. It's just Kentucky, a not very tall state, in between.

It is the thickest part of Kentucky though at that point, about 175 miles.

192 miles border-to-border on I-75; the mileage would be farther along US 25W/US 25 due to its zigs and zags.

But still, it's odd that Cincinnati would be listed on that sign instead of a number of intermediate cities such as Corbin, London, Richmond, or Lexington.

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 20, 2020, 12:22:32 PM
Charlotte appears on I-77 north of its concurrency with I-81, some 138 miles away. Not sure whether that's the furthest sign for that city.
Charlotte and Richmond are both mentioned on an auxiliary sign along I-64 East / I-77 South at their split in Beckley, WV.

Thanks. The only time I've been through there, I was going the other direction (westbound I-64 en route to St. Louis in 2017).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

I think there's at least one sign along westbound I-196 in the Grand Rapids area (just west of M-6) that has Chicago mileage (the main control point for WB I-196 is Holland)

roadman65

St Petersburg, FL, a city in the shadow of Tampa that is the main control city on roads leading to the Tampa Bay Area, is actually mentioned on US 19 in Monticello. At the CH Circle with US 90 St Pete via US 19 south is 244 miles. 

That is even further than Tampa listed on I-75 which starts at 200 miles south of the GA Border.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

gonealookin

Quote from: michravera on November 21, 2020, 06:27:39 PM
Same mutuality with...Reno and Salt Lake (just a bit over 500 mi).

My hazy recollection says this was true at one time (maybe in the 1990s?) but not anymore.  The control city for eastbound I-80 in Reno is Elko.  I was thinking about this specific issue the last time I drove out I-80 and I believe the first mention of Salt Lake City is on this mileage sign leaving Battle Mountain.  I think you have to get all the way out to Elko before Salt Lake City shows up as the control city on the on-ramp signage.

US 89

Quote from: michravera on November 21, 2020, 06:27:39 PM
Reno may even show up as a control city (previous inquiries prove that it shows up on distance signs and is more or less "continuously posted" thereafter) even EAST of Salt Lake.

Outside of two distance signs, the easternmost mentions of Reno are all at the Parleys Interchange on I-215 and Foothill. Everything east of there - including the I-80 westbound mainline at that interchange - uses Salt Lake.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on November 20, 2020, 09:50:15 PM
Guess I'll list all of Madison's others as well.
Chicago - 150 miles
La Crosse - 140 miles
Milwaukee - 80 miles
Wisconsin Dells - 55 miles
Dodgeville - 45 miles (this is a boneheaded control city that needs to be switched with either Verona or Dubuque)
Janesville - 40 miles
Spring Green - 35 miles (don't like this one either, would rather have Cross Plains)

That's pretty much everything over 10-ish miles, unless you count Portage being signed on US-51 in DeForest or Monroe on WI-69 near Verona.
Now that I think about it, Baraboo is signed in a few places along the Beltline, so add that to the list at about 40 miles.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 21, 2020, 07:46:10 PM

Thanks. The only time I've been through there, I was going the other direction (westbound I-64 en route to St. Louis in 2017).

It's also a backlit sign, but I've never seen it lit up, despite having gone through that interchange in the dark.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2020, 08:10:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 21, 2020, 07:46:10 PM

It's also a backlit sign, but I've never seen it lit up, despite having gone through that interchange in the dark.

The sign in question, if anyone's curious.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

Atlanta is posted 652 miles away on I-75 in Ohio.

The farthest city posted from Atlanta is Tampa, but that's not the farthest that Tampa is posted because Tampa is also posted on I-75 in Ohio. https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/06/05/New-signs-on-I-75-help-steer-drivers-to-faraway-places.html

Although the Ohio examples are what I would call novelty signs that are not strictly control cities. And Tampa in Atlanta is similar but is posted for the purpose of guiding through traffic along I-285 away from downtown Atlanta.

For standard control cities, which includes also being featured on mileage signs as well as being featured consistently on directional signs: Atlanta is the control city from Montgomery, and similarly the farthest control city from Atlanta is Montgomery.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.