US routes that multiplex before terminating

Started by agentsteel53, August 22, 2010, 08:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

for example, US-60 and US-70 back in the day were multiplexed coming into downtown Los Angeles.  Either one of those route numbers by itself would have been sufficient to serve the corridor, but both routes were kept.

in fact, 60 and 70 are a very special case in that all routes in the multiplex terminated at a single point.  Sometimes, one route was attached to another and randomly petered out while the other kept going.  For example, US-319 is still to this day multiplexed with US-98 for a little while before it randomly ends in Apalachicola. 

I was just studying US-310 and that one almost, but not quite, multiplexes before terminating.  It has a long multiplex with US-212, but while US-212 in Laurel turns onto the freeway, 310 turns north and terminates several blocks away at the business loop - old US-10.  Back in the day I am quite sure that it multiplexed with 212 when it (or US-12, as it was numbered back in the day before that segment became 212) followed US-10 through downtown when there was no freeway.  So 310 ended after a multiplex with 12/212, while 12/212 continued onwards.

so are there any other US routes that indeed form a multiplex all the way to their terminus?  319 along 98 is the one example I can think of.  Also, any routes that, like 60/70 back in the day, have all members of the multiplex share a terminus?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

US 62/277 multiplex all the way from Chickasha to Newcastle, where 277 ends. This is a distance of 29.8 miles.

(If you just type "chickasha to newcastle" Google Maps will pick up on Chickasha, all right, but then try and fail to route you to Newcastle Upon Tyne in England!)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 22, 2010, 08:59:39 PM
US 62/277 multiplex all the way from Chickasha to Newcastle, where 277 ends. This is a distance of 29.8 miles.

(If you just type "chickasha to newcastle" Google Maps will pick up on Chickasha, all right, but then try and fail to route you to Newcastle Upon Tyne in England!)

does it tell you that the route requires a wee bit of wading?

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Several examples (or possible examples) I can think of offhand:

- In Alabama, US 280 ends while duplexed with US 31.

- In Maryland, US 340 ends while duplexed with US 15.

- In Minnesota, US 218 ends while duplexed with US 14.  And depending on how you define it, US 169 may or may not end while duplexed with US 53.

- In Mississippi, US 425 ends while duplexed with US 84.  Meanwhile, US 98 may or may not duplex with US 84, depending on whether you define it as ending at Bude or ending near Natchez.

- Two former/current cases in Virginia, depending on whether you include US Business routes.  US 360 ends while duplexed with BUSINESS US 58 (was mainline US 58 until ca. 2004), while US 211 ends while duplexed with BUSINESS US 29.

agentsteel53

I definitely should have remembered 425; I drove that one recently and noted that it crossed the bridge to end at US-61.

any two-digit US routes with this property?

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

US 40 and 50 began concurrent with each other in San Francisco for years - originally, along Market Street until the Bay Bridge was opened, then on Harrison and Bryant Streets to 9th/10th Street when the Bay Bridge was first opened, and finally at the Bayshore/Central/James Lick Skyway split with 101 when the skyway (today's I-80, which was co-signed with 40/50 for a few years) was finished.

Both US 6 and 91 ended at the same terminus (Route 15, supplanted by post-1964 Route 7/today's I-710) in Long Beach concurrent with Alternate US 101.

US 395 and US 80 were concurrent with each other (and at one point, Route 94) through downtown San Diego on their way to US 101.

US 466's eastern terminus was at US 66 in Kingman, AZ concurrent with US 93.

US 34 and US 66 in Chicago ended together not far from Lake Michigan, after running down Ogden Avenue for some distance.

US 183 today currently begins concurrent with Alternate US 77 from Refugio, TX to Cuero, TX.

At one point, US 399's last few miles in Bakersfield were concurrent with US 99, to a terminus at US 466.

US 25 today ends at the Ohio/Kentucky state line while concurrent with US 42 and US 127.
Chris Sampang

Alps

No one mentioned US 46, which ends plexed with US 1/9 (and I-95).  Once upon a time, US 206 ended at US 6 plexed with US 209 - at least according to old signs in that area.

thenetwork

There is US 223, which pairs up with US 23 for about 6 miles from near Blissfield, MI south to SR 51 in Sylvania (Toledo), OH. As mentioned previously, 223 was truncated in 1986 during the "Great Toledo Route Switch" when SR 51 followed much of US 223's old Ohio alignment from Downtown Toledo to US 23.

The question remains why Michigan and especially Ohio (for less than 1 stinkin' mile) continue to recognize US 223 along US 23. :banghead:

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on August 22, 2010, 09:26:01 PM
Both US 6 and 91 ended at the same terminus (Route 15, supplanted by post-1964 Route 7/today's I-710) in Long Beach concurrent with Alternate US 101.

this is an exception to this exception - the two did not share any pavement.  6 came in heading eastbound* and 91 was westbound before they met at the intersection.

* I was going to say that west 6 starts out heading eastbound in Provincetown, MA to curl around the Cape... but even that may not be the case.  If the eastern end of 6 is where the carriage separation begins, then it starts out heading northwest, before turning east, so it can go around the cape and head properly west.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 22, 2010, 10:31:58 PM

* I was going to say that west 6 starts out heading eastbound in Provincetown, MA to curl around the Cape... but even that may not be the case.  If the eastern end of 6 is where the carriage separation begins, then it starts out heading northwest, before turning east, so it can go around the cape and head properly west.
Eastern end is at "Province Lands Rd." so no, 6 West does start out facing due east.

US71

US 69, US 96 and US 287 all end at the same place in Port Arthur, TX

If you count Business Routes, Bus US 65 duplexes with US 60 in Springfield, MO

Also Bus US 65 with US 63/US 79 at Pine Bluff.

On a technicality, NB US 425 duplexes with NB US 65 near Pine Bluff, AR, though 425 isn't posted after it hits US 65.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

huskeroadgeek

US 56 and US 412 are multiplexed with each other from E. of Boise City, OK to their joint western terminus in Springer, NM.

corco

Wyoming is a bounty of such situations.

The obvious ones are US-14 and 16, which run concurrent with US-20 to Yellowstone before ending.

Same with US-18, which runs with 20 from Lusk to its terminus at Orin Junction (and before that with US-85!)

Then US-189 ends in Jackson while concurrent with 26/89/191

If we count state highways, US-310 is concurrent with WYO 789 for its entire length in Wyoming, so it terminates as a concurrency at its western end as well.

Historically, US-195 ran with US-2 from Spokane back into Idaho before terminating as well.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 22, 2010, 10:33:56 PM

Eastern end is at "Province Lands Rd." so no, 6 West does start out facing due east.

yep, zooming in on Google Maps does show that, south of that road, it is Old Kings Highway (and thus, presumably, MA-6A).  So US-6 starts out heading northeast.  Not bad for a route that ends up very much southwest at its other terminus.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Historically, there were several of these that I can think of, probably done to allow the three-digit route to connect to its parent.

Examples: US 219 used to run concurrently with US 460 into West Virginia so 219 could end at 19 in Princeton.

And US 641 ran with US 60 all the way from Marion, Ky. to Henderson so it could touch US 41. And, if I am not mistaken, 641 may have continued to the state line concurrent with 41 or may have run all the way up into Evansville.

US 411 used to do the same thing, running from its current terminus along what is now US 321 and then concurrently with US 11E and US 19W/US 19 to Bristol, Va.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

US 64 and US 264 used to end while multiplexed at US 158 near Nags Head, NC. US 264 was truncated to end at US 64 just before this junction a few years ago, though.

US 74 and US 76 multiplex a lot, but enter Wrightsville Beach, NC while multiplexed, then split off in opposite directions and end a few miles from one another on opposite ends of town.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

florida

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 22, 2010, 08:48:27 PM
in fact, 60 and 70 are a very special case in that all routes in the multiplex terminated at a single point.  Sometimes, one route was attached to another and randomly petered out while the other kept going.  For example, US-319 is still to this day multiplexed with US-98 for a little while before it randomly ends in Apalachicola.  

And by randomly ending, it's about in the middle of two bridges on a small causeway. A big contender for the category of Most Random Terminus of a US Route.

Something that may or may not count could be US 41's former duplex with both US 1 and FL A1A just to hop over to Miami Beach (even though its last few miles weren't duplexed with a proper US Route).
So many roads...so little time.

74/171FAN

US 360 used to end while being duplexed with US 58(now US 58 Business since Danville has been bypassed now) and even weirder ends at VA 360(while being duplexed with VA 293), an older alignment of US 360
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jdb1234

Quote from: froggie on August 22, 2010, 09:19:41 PM
- In Alabama, US 280 ends while duplexed with US 31.

This once has only existed since 1989, US 280 originally ended at US 31, when the Red Mountain Expressway was finished, US 280 was extended to I-20/59.

Doesn't US 72 have multiplexes at both termini in Memphis and Chattanooga? 

TheHighwayMan3561

US 400 ends going westbound while duplexed with US 50 at Granada, CO, and ends going eastbound while duplexed with US 166 at Joplin, MO (which also ends while duplexed with US 400 at that I-44 interchange - did they have a fight over which route would end at the US 400/US 166 intersection near Baxter Springs so they just kept both?  :poke:  :pan:  :spin:)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mightyace

Close to home.  US 43 ends north of Columbia, TN @ US 31 while multiplexed with US 412.

And, to the best of my knowledge, US 31A and US 41A are multiplexed when US 31A ends at US 31 in Nashville.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jdb1234

If we are going to use bannered routes, then, Business US 431 ends multiplexed with Business US 231 at the intersection of Oates St and Ross Clark Circle in Dothan.  This intersection is the southern terminus of US 431.

mightyace

^^^

I usually don't think of 31A and 41A as "bannered" even though I know that it is equivalent to Alt-31 and Alt-41.

Personally, I think that they should have continued 31E and 31W south of Nashville.  It seems kind of strange to have 31E and 31W north of town and 31 and 31A south of town.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 22, 2010, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 22, 2010, 09:26:01 PM

this is an exception to this exception - the two did not share any pavement.  6 came in heading eastbound* and 91 was westbound before they met at the intersection.

Actually, I was noting that 6 was concurrent with Alt 101 at its end, and 91 was concurrent with Alt 101 coming in from the other direction.
Chris Sampang

Bickendan

Odd example from Portland, which is no longer valid:

OR 99W (former US 99W, so this is a technicality) and OR 10 with US 26.

Currently, US 26 officially (per ODOT, never submitted to AASHTO) skirts downtown Portland via I-405 and along Sheridan, 3rd and Arthur to the Ross Island Bridge, instead of going up Naito Pkwy to the Market/Clay couplet.
OR (US) 99W used to terminate at Market/Clay after it was turned back from North Portland; now it ends at I-5 at SW 65th Ave on the Tigard/Portland City and Washington/Multnomah County Limits. (OR 99W shields are still present along the 10/99W duplex).

OR 10 ends at the Ross Island Bridge.

So, when this was valid, OR (US) 99W entered Portland along Barbur Blvd, picked up OR 10 at Capitol Highway, both split off Barbur at Naito, OR 10 ended at the ramps to/from the Ross Island Bridge, where US 26 joined OR 99W. Both enter downtown, US 26 turned at the couplet and OR 99W ended.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.