News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Control "cities" that aren't cities

Started by huskeroadgeek, February 13, 2011, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

As kind of a spinoff of the topic about control cities, what are some control "cities" that aren't actually cities? I'm talking here about major destinations on freeways, not just exit signs for surface roads. I know the Chicago area uses states a lot-Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin and I think even Ohio all appear as control "cities" on some roads there. I don't know anywhere else that uses states so frequently for control cities. I do know of at least one other place that does it-I-635 from I-29 in Missouri is signed as just "Kansas"-probably to make it clear that it goes into Kansas since I-29 is already in Kansas City(Missouri) at that point.

Another one I know of is "Delaware Water Gap" for I-80 WB in New Jersey. One of my favorites is the short stub of I-8 W. of I-5 in San Diego being signed as simply "Beaches".

Michael in Philly

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on February 13, 2011, 03:08:47 PM
As kind of a spinoff of the topic about control cities, what are some control "cities" that aren't actually cities? I'm talking here about major destinations on freeways, not just exit signs for surface roads. I know the Chicago area uses states a lot-Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin and I think even Ohio all appear as control "cities" on some roads there. I don't know anywhere else that uses states so frequently for control cities. I do know of at least one other place that does it-I-635 from I-29 in Missouri is signed as just "Kansas"-probably to make it clear that it goes into Kansas since I-29 is already in Kansas City(Missouri) at that point.

Another one I know of is "Delaware Water Gap" for I-80 WB in New Jersey. One of my favorites is the short stub of I-8 W. of I-5 in San Diego being signed as simply "Beaches".

Actually, there's a very small, but incorporated, town in Pennsylvania called "Delaware Water Gap."  Right at the first exit.  But I'm guessing that's not what they mean.

New Jersey has lots of "Shore Points"es.
"Del Mem Br" (Delaware Memorial Bridge) on I-295 southbound in New Jersey, once you're too far south for "Camden" to work.
"NJ -NY" where I-295 forks of 95 northbound in Delaware.
"Airport, Sports Complex" on I-76 eastbound in Philadelphia.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

74/171FAN

Va Beach has "Oceanfront" and "Va BeachOceanfront" on I-264 EB in Va Beach
and then of course Tysons Corner for the I-495/Capital Beltway Inner Loop from I-95/395 in VA
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

Quoteand then of course Tysons Corner for the I-495/Capital Beltway Inner Loop from I-95/395 in VA

Arguable.  While not officially a city, it's a CDP (Census Designated Place) and very much urbanized.

More appropriate would be the "Northern Virginia" used for the Outer Loop in Montgomery County.

Eth

Sticking with the DC theme, I was on the George Washington Parkway yesterday and noticed that at the end it uses "Virginia" and "Maryland" for I-495 southbound and northbound respectively.

CL

There's an exit off of Southern Parkway that lies just barely north of the Utah-Arizona border (as in the southern on- and off-ramps would be in Arizona if placed any further south). On the westbound off-ramp, there's a sign that directs you to left to Arizona, or right to Utah (I really wish I had a picture of this). Rather ambiguous, but there you have it.
Infrastructure. The city.

cjk374

On I-65 south bound, the last exit for the I-10 interchange uses MISSISSIPPI and FLORIDA for control points.

In Ruston, LA:  when approaching the I-20 interchange on US 167 south, the control point sign has 2 cities and one town:

MONROE (for I-20 east)  GRAMBLING and SHREVEPORT (for I-20 west)

The Grambling exit is 4 miles from here (POP: just over 1100 *I think*).  The only thing in Grambling that gives the town a reason to exist is Grambling State University.  There is no mention of Grambling on any other sign at this interchange (north or south).  The only other place Grambling is used as a control point is I-20 west when passing the Choudrant exit, 6 miles east of Ruston.  It is on a mileage sign:

RUSTON         5
GRAMBLING   11
SHREVEPORT 73
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cu2010

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

xonhulu

Oregon uses "Ocean Beaches" as a control city on a lot of the routes heading to the coast from the Willamette Valley.

Ian

-Some signs alone the Massachusetts Turnpike list NH-Maine as a control city for both I-495 and I-95.
-Signs along I-95 in New Hampshire list "To All Maine Points"
-Signs along I-95 southbound in southern Maine list both New Hampshire and Massachusetts as control cities.
-The control city "Seacoast" can be seen as a control city for many routes heading south/eastward in New Hampshire
-"Points South" can be seen on signs along I-295 southbound approaching exit 11 (I-95) in Maine
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jdb1234

Exit 116 on I-75 in South Florida has a control city of "Gulf Beaches."

Brandon

Michigan uses "Mackinac Bridge" on I-75.
I-55 Nbd in Chicago has a control of "Lake Shore Drive" starting at the Ryan.  Then there's the control of "O'Hare" on the Tri-State Twy, I-190, and Kennedy Expy.  And let's not forget the stellar controls of "Northwest Suburbs", "West Suburbs", and "Southwest Suburbs" for I-355.  IL-53 has a control of "North Suburbs" as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

rmsandw

Downtown St. Louis has "Illinois" on I-70/64/55

WB I-94 at 95th st has "Chicago Loop"
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

national highway 1

I-10 Eb east of San Bernardino 'Other Desert Cities'
CA 91 Wb 'Beach Cities'
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Michael in Philly

If I may be permitted to internationalize this, England has lots of signs saying things like "The NORTH" or "The SOUTH WEST" - capitalized thus.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

iwishiwascanadian

I-84 East in Danbury, CT has a control city of New York State...I know that from the Saw Mill Parkway South onto I-87/I-287 has Albany listed and the Tappan Zee Bridge...

rmsandw

Plus the signs on I-29 at Soiux Falls that dont have control cities at I-90.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 13, 2011, 09:42:50 PM
-Some signs alone the Massachusetts Turnpike list NH-Maine as a control city for both I-495 and I-95.

this can be found at other on-ramps to 495 and 95 as well.  I think route 140 at 495 has it, for example.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: cu2010 on February 13, 2011, 07:44:15 PM
I-81 north of Watertown, NY: Canada.

related: Alberta 43 heading out of Edmonton has a control city of Alaska, because it connects to BC-2, which connects to the Alaska Highway.

Edmonton was a major staging point for Alaska-bound traffic, so it is sometimes considered the beginning of the Alaska Highway.  But the road to Dawson Creek had already existed - the brand new Alaska Highway, as built during World War II, started at Dawson Creek.

(not quite sure what the relationship is between old AB-2 and current AB-43 but 2 also runs through Edmonton...)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

Last US 2 exit on I-89 NB: Lake Champlain Islands.

luokou

Quote from: xonhulu on February 13, 2011, 09:22:52 PM
Oregon uses "Ocean Beaches" as a control city on a lot of the routes heading to the coast from the Willamette Valley.

In a few cases, "Oregon Coast" had replaced "Ocean Beaches" as a control city.

Central Avenue

"Airport" seems to be a pretty common one.

Some parts of I-70 in Columbus have "Downtown".
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Henry

Quote from: Central Avenue on February 14, 2011, 02:16:58 AM
"Airport" seems to be a pretty common one.

Some parts of I-70 in Columbus have "Downtown".

"Downtown" is seen a lot on signs leading to interstate spurs.

More Chicago examples:
I-80, I-90, I-94 East: Indiana
I-90, I-94 West: Wisconsin

At least they were there from my childhood there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

"Kentucky" is used in a few places along the freeways in Cincinnati.

The ramp from US 50 to I-275 in Indiana uses "Ohio" and "Kentucky."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.