News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stupid decommissionings

Started by bugo, May 02, 2012, 12:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 16, 2020, 02:40:21 PM
I don't think it was necessary to chance CT 20 to CT 190 east of the CT River. Just sign CT 20 on I-91 to Exit 47-EW and call it a day.

I would have left CT 159 as US 5A.

I would've put CT 20 on SSR 401 and a brief duplex with CT 75 and have it take over CT 140 while promoting the Bradley Connector to I-191 (wouldn't use I-391 since it is too close to the one in Chicopee).  As a result, CT 192 would be extended across CT 190 to take over CT 191. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 18, 2020, 08:29:19 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 16, 2020, 02:40:21 PM
I don't think it was necessary to chance CT 20 to CT 190 east of the CT River. Just sign CT 20 on I-91 to Exit 47-EW and call it a day.

I would have left CT 159 as US 5A.

I would've put CT 20 on SSR 401 and a brief duplex with CT 75 and have it take over CT 140 while promoting the Bradley Connector to I-191 (wouldn't use I-391 since it is too close to the one in Chicopee).  As a result, CT 192 would be extended across CT 190 to take over CT 191.
CT 191 is an extension of MA 191, so unless you also change MA 191 to MA 192 then that could be a bit confusing.

Avalanchez71

US 27 in Michigan just to swap it with US 127 so that they didn't have to overlap with I-69 for a short segment.  Bid deal. 

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 20, 2020, 02:53:55 PM
US 27 in Michigan just to swap it with US 127 so that they didn't have to overlap with I-69 for a short segment.  Bid deal. 

That was a joint request by INDOT and MDOT, since the I-69 overlap began near Fort Wayne and extended all the way north through Lansing, MI.  That's over 40% of the pre-southern-extension "original" I-69 (even counting the northeastern extension to Canada).  And seeing as how the 127-for-27 transfer simply continued the trajectory of US 127, the decision was pretty rational.   

TEG24601

OR 99W and OR 10 through Portland.

US-30 in Portland (should be returned to Burnside/Sandy, et al.)

SR 99 (WA) - From Vancouver to Blaine, it would be nice to have a signed and maintained alternate to I-5.  Not having one capable of even a fraction of the traffic or alternate river crossings has screwed this state several times in just the last decade.

M-21 East of Flint

Every, single, metro decommissioning undertaken by INDOT, this includes Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne, and Lafayette.  Lafayette is unforgivable, as there isn't even a beltway to properly suggest people use to move around the city, and the route that does exist isn't designed for that much traffic, let alone the pre-2010 or pre-2000 traffic levels that they were using it for anyway.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bickendan

US 30 hasn't been decommed through Portland; it's just not as well signed along I-405 and I-5 as it should be. Bus 30, yes, and I agree that that one was short-sighted, though I expect that was PBOT wanting control of Burnside and inner Sandy and ODOT relinquishing them. I suspect the same of Barbur, Naito (then Front), and Interstate with OR 99W. Certainly, I don't think ODOT would have been thrilled with the Yellow Line being built on Interstate, or the Burnside/Couch Couplet on the eastside.

GaryV

roadman65

VA 162 in Virginia. It is now a spur of VA 143 as it ends short of US 60 and is not even a quarter mile. It once ran concurrent with VA 5 and was a de facto business route for US 60. I can see Williamsburg dropping the route through the city, but it's point of truncation should have been the US 60/ VA 5 an$ VA 162 intersection and not the city limit.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

The decommissioning of the US business routes in Indiana.  The US 41 Business route through Princeton was handy.  Now the center of town is dead.  Vincennes is the one that losses out the most with a fully controlled access highway which was to be I-24 around the city.  I can see the need for the one in Terre Haute to maybe meet a demise but really they got rid of the one in Kentland. 

I don't know why they don't use the designation of Business US 31 for Kokomo in lieu of SR 931.  SR 931 does hit the business core of town. 

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 21, 2020, 02:54:03 PM
The decommissioning of the US business routes in Indiana.  The US 41 Business route through Princeton was handy.  Now the center of town is dead.  Vincennes is the one that losses out the most with a fully controlled access highway which was to be I-24 around the city.  I can see the need for the one in Terre Haute to maybe meet a demise but really they got rid of the one in Kentland. 

I don't know why they don't use the designation of Business US 31 for Kokomo in lieu of SR 931.  SR 931 does hit the business core of town.
I'm not sure that the loss of the official business routes caused the rot of these cities, it was going to happen anyway.  Princeton, Indiana's demise started in the late 70s and early 80s when everything started moving to the west side of town (where US 41 had been located since at least the early 60s.  ( I have a 1959 Indiana map that shows US41 still going through downtown Princeton).  Vincennes' downtown would have suffered the same whether or not the US50 and US41 business routes were there or not.  Once the main route is changed, practically every traveler will stay on the new route unless they are specifically going to a certain destination (landmark, store, residence, etc).

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Life in Paradise on November 21, 2020, 04:02:09 PM

I'm not sure that the loss of the official business routes caused the rot of these cities, it was going to happen anyway.  Princeton, Indiana's demise started in the late 70s and early 80s when everything started moving to the west side of town (where US 41 had been located since at least the early 60s.  ( I have a 1959 Indiana map that shows US41 still going through downtown Princeton).  Vincennes' downtown would have suffered the same whether or not the US50 and US41 business routes were there or not.  Once the main route is changed, practically every traveler will stay on the new route unless they are specifically going to a certain destination (landmark, store, residence, etc).

Did US 41 every actually go through the historic downtown area of Evansville?  I know that the former Business US 41 did not.  It was close to the current US 41.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: sparker on November 20, 2020, 04:43:26 PM

That was a joint request by INDOT and MDOT, since the I-69 overlap began near Fort Wayne and extended all the way north through Lansing, MI.  That's over 40% of the pre-southern-extension "original" I-69 (even counting the northeastern extension to Canada).  And seeing as how the 127-for-27 transfer simply continued the trajectory of US 127, the decision was pretty rational.   

MI ended up keeping a portion of the old road as state highway, M227.  Why not just keep it signed as US 27 and just not but up a bunch of signs on I-69?  IN never really put up any US 27 signs on I69 if I can recall.  The same thing with IN. They have SR 127 that can still be US 27.

GaryV

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 21, 2020, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 20, 2020, 04:43:26 PM

MI ended up keeping a portion of the old road as state highway, M227.  Why not just keep it signed as US 27 and just not but up a bunch of signs on I-69?  IN never really put up any US 27 signs on I69 if I can recall.  The same thing with IN. They have SR 127 that can still be US 27.

M-227 has nothing to do with US-27 being truncated at Fort Wayne.  It is a small portion of what used to be, long ago, US-27.  Back before the freeway was built.

Incidentally, it was not a state highway for many years.  It was taken back into the system as part of the "Rationalization" program in 1998.  Some of the highways that were part of Rationalization have since been decommissioned again, and some were never signed.  M-227 is signed.

TEG24601

Quote from: GaryV on November 21, 2020, 08:09:16 AM
Quote from: TEG24601 on November 20, 2020, 06:34:13 PM

M-21 East of Flint

Why?  I-69 isn't close enough?

Because, just because you built a new shiny freeway, does not mean that another close by designation isn't needed.  There are plenty of times with alternative routes from Port Huron to Flint is needed, and M-21 would be nice to be signed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

GaryV

Quote from: TEG24601 on November 21, 2020, 04:43:37 PM
Quote from: GaryV on November 21, 2020, 08:09:16 AM
Quote from: TEG24601 on November 20, 2020, 06:34:13 PM

M-21 East of Flint

Why?  I-69 isn't close enough?

I haven't been on it lately, but it probably is signed - as Emergency I-69.

Because, just because you built a new shiny freeway, does not mean that another close by designation isn't needed.  There are plenty of times with alternative routes from Port Huron to Flint is needed, and M-21 would be nice to be signed.

NWI_Irish96

INDOT does not designate business routes on interstates or US highways. The designations that exist are informal and sporadically signed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheGrassGuy

NY-17 west of Harriman is going to end up here :eyebrow:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.