News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massive 100 car wreck on I-10EB near Beaumont

Started by ARMOURERERIC, November 22, 2012, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apjung

I really hope they don't lower the speed limit because of some stupid drivers insisting on not slowing down in fog or rain.

empirestate

I'm pretty sure it already is lowered in cases of fog. In most, if not all states, speed limits automatically lower to whatever is appropriate for existing conditions.

allniter89

Quote from: empirestate on November 23, 2012, 01:30:57 PM
I'm pretty sure it already is lowered in cases of fog. In most, if not all states, speed limits automatically lower to whatever is appropriate for existing conditions.
Many states have a statue regarding driving too fast for conditions.?
Here is local newspaper coverage with 38 pictures.
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Multiple-car-wreck-on-I-10-near-Hamshire-Road-4059749.php#photo-3778316

Another multi-vehicle crash in se Tx. on Thursday morning  :pan:
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/54-injured-in-estimated-40-vehicle-wreck-on-Texas-2443094.php
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

amroad17

Could Texas put "runway" (fog) lights on these roads like Virginia has on I-64 on both sides of Afton Mt. through Rockfish Gap?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

mgk920

Howabout doing what the CHP does on I-5 and CA 99 in the northern valley and running 'pace cars' through heavy fog?

This is a constant Worldwide - despite whatever 'reasonable and prudent' rules there may be in force, drivers simply do not respect heavy fog.

:no:

Mike

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 25, 2012, 05:12:20 PM
Could these events be an argument in favor of mandatory rear foglamps?
If people didn't abuse front foglamps so badly (using them during rain, night, or even just during the day because they drive a bigger car than you), I'd support it.

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 05:06:44 PM
If people didn't abuse front foglamps so badly (using them during rain, night, or even just during the day because they drive a bigger car than you), I'd support it.

Abuse???  How is that 'abusing' them?  My wife always uses the front foglamps at night, no matter what size car she's driving.  It gives better illumination to the road without blinding oncoming drivers.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2012, 09:22:34 PM

Abuse???  How is that 'abusing' them?  My wife always uses the front foglamps at night, no matter what size car she's driving.  It gives better illumination to the road without blinding oncoming drivers.

They can be a lot brighter than headlights, and yes, blinding depending on the car. They're only supposed to be used in fog.

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 09:41:24 PM

They can be a lot brighter than headlights, and yes, blinding depending on the car. They're only supposed to be used in fog.

I've never felt like I was being blinded by fog lights, in any vehicle–especially during the daytime.  If someone's fog lights are blinding other drivers, then it's because the lights are out of adjustment:  they're designed to shine under the fog, after all (for some reason, I think they're intended to shine at knee level or lower at a distance of 15 feet).  And, during the rain, I'd rather have as many lights on a vehicle lit up as possible so I can see it better.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2012, 10:43:36 AM
Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 09:41:24 PM

I've never felt like I was being blinded by fog lights, in any vehicle—especially during the daytime.  If someone's fog lights are blinding other drivers, then it's because the lights are out of adjustment:  they're designed to shine under the fog, after all (for some reason, I think they're intended to shine at knee level or lower at a distance of 15 feet).  And, during the rain, I'd rather have as many lights on a vehicle lit up as possible so I can see it better.

I drive a car that's fairly low to the ground, especially compared to SUV's.  They seem to be the worst offenders when I am blinded by their lights during the day or night.  I always thought it was due to the height difference.

The law in OK is that they are not to be used except in "poor visibility". 

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Perfxion

I have that problem with aftermarket HIDs than regular fog and headlamps. Those kits need the ban, no matter where they are on the car.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

kphoger

Quote from: rte66man on November 27, 2012, 12:45:21 PM
I drive a car that's fairly low to the ground, especially compared to SUV's.  They seem to be the worst offenders when I am blinded by their lights during the day or night.  I always thought it was due to the height difference.

But isn't it the headlights that are blinding you rather than the fog lights?
Male pronouns, please.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2012, 06:50:14 PM

Nope, its the lights below the headlights that are a problem.

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

BiggieJohn

Quote from: amroad17 on November 24, 2012, 11:52:05 AM
Could Texas put "runway" (fog) lights on these roads like Virginia has on I-64 on both sides of Afton Mt. through Rockfish Gap?

The power utilities here in TX wont put up streetlights in rural areas unless a HOA pays for it at the entrance to a subdivision. 
Unless someone can be billed for the power use, they wont put in streetlights and have in fact removed many streetlights recently to "conserve power"

kphoger

Quote from: rte66man on November 28, 2012, 11:55:04 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 27, 2012, 06:50:14 PM

Nope, its the lights below the headlights that are a problem.

Then those lights are out of adjustment.  Otherwise they wouldn't be shining in your eyes.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.