News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

life on the road with carona?

Started by allniter89, March 26, 2020, 11:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

Drivers  is it hard to find an open restraunt for meals? Are most trk stop restraunts open? Reduced hours? Seating 6' apart? Take out only? Showers?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: allniter89 on March 26, 2020, 11:41:39 PM
Drivers  is it hard to find an open restraunt for meals? Are most trk stop restraunts open? Reduced hours? Seating 6' apart? Take out only? Showers?

Depends where you are in the country. Much of the mid-Atlantic is either on mandated or effective lockdown. Other areas are more wide open.

Flint1979

Quote from: allniter89 on March 26, 2020, 11:41:39 PM
I'm about to find out tomorrow I have to go from Florida to Michigan hauling a trailer.

Max Rockatansky

Considering finding food on the back roads out in California doesn't really happen I doubt I'll notice much of a difference.  Around town almost every place is open provided you are willing to take out.

gonealookin

The thing that bugs me most about take-out food is the lousy plastic "silverware".  For a road trip right now I'd definitely pack some real forks and knives and dish soap.  Availability of restaurant food, if you don't mind eating from a plate sitting on the hood of your car, is not an issue.

Flint1979

I have been in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee today and everywhere in these three States is take out only. Lots of traffic in Florida and Georgia but starting to thin out in Tennessee. I'm staying in Lenoir City currently. Going through Atlanta wasn't bad at all.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 27, 2020, 10:18:19 PM
I have been in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee today and everywhere in these three States is take out only. Lots of traffic in Florida and Georgia but starting to thin out in Tennessee. I'm staying in Lenoir City currently. Going through Atlanta wasn't bad at all.
I think all 50 states are take out only now (if not all 50, then a vast majority of them)

webny99

Not sure if the misspelling in the thread title is intentional or not (attempt at a pun??) but it is going to bug me to no end regardless.  :paranoid:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 27, 2020, 10:33:39 PM
Not sure if the misspelling in the thread title is intentional or not (attempt at a pun??) but it is going to bug me to no end regardless.  :paranoid:

It's probably a mistake but my wife and many others have been intentionally saying it that way. 

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 27, 2020, 11:20:57 PM
It's probably a mistake but my wife and many others have been intentionally saying it that way.

For any reason in particular?
I actually pronounce it more like "crona", basically eliminating the first "o" so it's more like two syllables instead of three.

Scott5114

If you remove the last A, "Life on the road with caron" would be a decent thread title for someone trying to interpret diacritics on Norwegian road signs with Sami place names.

This guy seems very uncertain about life on the road with caron.

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2020, 12:35:11 AM
I actually pronounce it more like "crona", basically eliminating the first "o" so it's more like two syllables instead of three.

My preferred usage is "the covid", which is shorter and more accurate than "the coronavirus" (cause the common cold and flu are both coronaviruses). It is also linguistically correct (since it expands to "the coronavirus disease") and mirrors the usage "the plague" or "the flu".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Most people I interact pronounce "corona"  as ""ca-rona"  and pretty do the same with the beer of the same name.  What I tend to be noticing is the "ca"  part of it seems to be sarcastically being really emphasized.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 28, 2020, 01:00:15 AM

Most people I interact pronounce "corona"  as ""ca-rona"  and pretty do the same with the beer of the same name.  What I tend to be noticing is the "ca"  part of it seems to be sarcastically being really emphasized.

Trump misspelled it that way in a tweet.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on March 27, 2020, 10:32:00 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 27, 2020, 10:18:19 PM
I think all 50 states are take out only now (if not all 50, then a vast majority of them)
I heard here that the local Cracker Barrel just went to take out only. They had been just limiting the number of people in the dining room at one time.

GaryV

^^

They should have been takeout only as of Tuesday, per the governor's orders.

renegade

I just refer to it as C-19.  Just seems easier that way.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hotdogPi

Quote from: renegade on March 28, 2020, 11:17:23 AM

Carbon-19 has a half-life of 46 ms. COVID-19 has a half-life of about 2 days (depending on what surface it's on).

Krona is a currency; it comes from the same root of "crown" that "corona" does.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 28, 2020, 06:50:39 AM

Thank you for clarifying! I was not aware of that, so I would have been even more confused by Max's reply.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2020, 02:55:28 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 28, 2020, 06:50:39 AM

Thank you for clarifying! I was not aware of that, so I would have been even more confused by Max's reply.

I wasn't even aware that was a thing.  Then again, I've never used Twitter.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on March 28, 2020, 08:19:38 AM
^^

They should have been takeout only as of Tuesday, per the governor's orders.
That's probably the day they went to take out only. This was in Tennessee.

US71

Quote from: 1 on March 28, 2020, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: renegade on March 28, 2020, 11:17:23 AM

Carbon-19 has a half-life of 46 ms. COVID-19 has a half-life of about 2 days (depending on what surface it's on).

Krona is a currency; it comes from the same root of "crown" that "corona" does.

Krona was also the name of a bad guy in Green Lantern comics ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

My youngest two sons have finally gotten it through their heads that it isn't "corono-virus".

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 28, 2020, 12:47:05 AM
My preferred usage is "the covid", which is shorter and more accurate than "the coronavirus" (cause the common cold and flu are both coronaviruses). It is also linguistically correct (since it expands to "the coronavirus disease") and mirrors the usage "the plague" or "the flu".

Most colds are caused by a rhinovirus, not a coronavirus.  Generally, if your symptoms are somewhat mild, then you probably just have a rhinovirus and not a coronavirus.  As far as I know, influenza is not caused by a coronavirus.

Literally speaking, "COVID" isn't really any more specific than "coronavirus", considering it just stands for COronaVIrus DIsease.  However, I'm not aware of any other outbreak being referred to by the same acronym, so it still gets the job done of referring to a specific one.

I've started referring to it as just plain "the virus".  I mean, really, who's talking about any other virus right now?  I started doing this while I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, because for the first couple of days I wasn't sure what people there were calling it, and it just kind of stuck with me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

We have people working for us on the road still.  It's been an adjustment for them.  They're using extended stay hotels so they have kitchen facilities instead of relying on restaurants/drivethrus/delivery/etc.  There's a lot more wizzin' in the bushes instead of making pit stops at gas stations. :-D
It's a lot less fun for them since there's nothing to do after hours but sit around the hotel.  Some outdoor activities are still viable like hiking or jogging.

All things considered, they're handling it pretty well.  The crews are all in more rural areas, so there's not the same concern as there would be in large metros.  Though I must say the lack of traffic actually makes it appealing, on one level, to do work in a city.  We're not going to expose our people to unnecessary risk, but flicking on the traffic layer in Google Maps and panning around, say, Chicago right now; it's tempting.  Our teams of two don't need to do much outside their vehicles, so if all goes well, they aren't really exposing much by just driving thru places.
We're saving a ton on gas at least. :-/
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.