News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Found a New York-named shield along the LIE a few weeks ago...it's not the nicest example, though.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: doofy103 on July 16, 2014, 08:41:40 PM

I like that fallout shelter sign beneath it!

Here are some for I-565 here in Huntsville, AL:

I-565 sheild by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I have more on my external hard drive somewhere, so I'll have to find them. These were the ones I knew about off of the top of my head. I'll also probably have my drivers license soon, so I should be able to go and get some more pictures.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on July 16, 2014, 09:30:43 PM
What remains in New York is concentrated in certain parts of the state. There are certainly more, but here's what I have seen personally:

I-81: A few on the mainline north of Syracuse. Likely more.

I-87: Do not know of any on the mainline. There are quite a few on local roads surrounding the interstate. Many near Albany, probably a few in The Bronx.

I-88: Seen a few along the route, probably quite a few more

I-90: One on US 20 in Silver Creek at Exit 58. Were quite a few in Albany a while ago, many of which are likely gone due to Exit 2 reconstruction.

I-95: Were quite a few

As for the 3dis:

I-490 had some on the mainline. I-390 and 490 have quite a few off the road. There is/was an I-787 shield on the Collar City Bridge in Troy, along with a few in Albany.

Speaking of...are the 1950s-60s spec I-95 state-named shields still around on Broadway US-9 and 179th St?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

rickmastfan67

I-90: One on US 20 in Silver Creek at Exit 58.

Looks like that one bit the dust per StreetView. :(  I remember it being the 'JCT' shield going WB on US-20/NY-5.  Per StreetView, it was gone no later than 08/2013.

freebrickproductions

Here's another I-565 one in Huntsville. This one's along AL 255, IIRC.

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cl94

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 16, 2014, 10:48:27 PM

Looks like that one bit the dust per StreetView. :(  I remember it being the 'JCT' shield going WB on US-20/NY-5.  Per StreetView, it was gone no later than 08/2013.

Eastbound was still there a month ago. Right in front of Burger King. May be last one in Region 5.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

And here's an I-65 shield with the state name on it in Huntsville, AL. This is on Governors Drive.

I-65 Sheild by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I don't think I have anymore pictures of state-name interstate shields.

(They/Them)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cl94 on July 16, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 16, 2014, 10:48:27 PM

Eastbound was still there a month ago. Right in front of Burger King. May be last one in Region 5.

That would explain why I didn't remember that one.  Rarely was I ever going EB on that segment of highway on that side of the I-90 interchange.

hbelkins

There's a state-named I-684 southbound. Saw it last year and got a photo.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on July 17, 2014, 12:45:04 PM
There's a state-named I-684 southbound. Saw it last year and got a photo.

There are a few of those around and they're disappearing quickly. Downstate has a ton. I *think* every signed downstate interstate has one somewhere, I just don't know the exact locations.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mergingtraffic

The thread on the general forum: any regional state named interstate shield around?

Someone alluded to alot downstate in NY.

I remember some old I-95 shields by 179th and Broadway.

There's an I-678 by Home Depot in the Bronx.

KEVIN_224

Do you mean something like this in Portland, ME on July 17th? This was close to the Concord Coach bus terminal.

NJRoadfan

NJ is posting new state name shields, so you'll see plenty around here.

southshore720

In Rhode Island, at the reconstructed George St. bridge and on/off ramp for Exit 27 (before the reconstructed Pawtucket River Bridge), there are some brand-new **rare** Rhode Island state-named shields for I-95.  Clearly this was a contractor decision as RIDOT does not usually fabricate state-named shields.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 18, 2014, 11:07:12 PM
Do you mean something like this in Portland, ME on July 17th? This was close to the Concord Coach bus terminal.

Yes, or like this...

Ian

Quote from: southshore720 on July 19, 2014, 09:48:19 AM
In Rhode Island, at the reconstructed George St. bridge and on/off ramp for Exit 27 (before the reconstructed Pawtucket River Bridge), there are some brand-new **rare** Rhode Island state-named shields for I-95.  Clearly this was a contractor decision as RIDOT does not usually fabricate state-named shields.

Can you get photos of these by any chance?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jp the roadgeek

Just drove I-10 from New Orleans to Biloxi the other day.  In LA, did not see one state Interstate shield for 10, 510, 610, 12, or 59.  But in Mississippi, every I-10 and I-110 sign was a state sign, including on the BGS's.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

One of the Lexington TV stations went to Detroit to do a story on the Detroit-to-Kentucky heroin connection that is linked to a crime outbreak in Lexington this summer. They showed a state-named I-75 Michigan sign. Not sure where it was located. I will look at the story online and see if I can get a screen shot of it.

hbelkins

Got a screen shot and left most of the background in, just in case anyone recognizes the location:

agentsteel53

Frank Gillon photo, 2007

that said, I don't know where it is either.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mapmikey

Rainking75

Sadly, I don't think I've seen any state named shields in NC along I-77, I-85 or I-40. I did see some SC shields on I-95 and I-26 coming back from HHI last week...

ctsignguy

Quote from: Rainking75 on July 24, 2014, 09:52:42 PM
Sadly, I don't think I've seen any state named shields in NC along I-77, I-85 or I-40. I did see some SC shields on I-95 and I-26 coming back from HHI last week...

When i was in North Carolina a few years back, i saw ONE state-named I-shield....that was an I-40 in the middle of a construction zone, so it is likely a goner by now
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Arkansastravelguy

Probably the only one in the state.

iPhone

Arkansastravelguy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.