News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Speed Traps...

Started by Tomahawkin, August 02, 2009, 01:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

When I lived there, police weren't allowed to use unmarked cars and had to be "in plain sight."

Of course, there's ways around everything.  The Boston Stranglers (Boston Heights, OH) would park a cruiser on the embankment of OH 8 North, just in front of a pedestrian bridge.  You couldn't see them until you crested a rise in the freeway and by the time you saw them, you'd be busted.  Plus, the site was near an ODOT maintenance depot with microwave relays.  The relays would set off false alarms on a radar detector about the same place that the Boston Stranglers lurked!  :ded:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

BigMattFromTexas

Interstate 20 between Abilene and Weatherford, Tx. One time in this stretch of highway i saw maybe 10-15 people pulled over, no joke, 100% serious

SSOWorld

hence why they have the pre-repeal 55-mph zones.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2009, 07:46:25 PM
Pennsylvania Turnpike has a lot of speed traps and all the cops have pretty good hiding places.

I can agree with that.  Though since at least 95% of it is narrow enough to have the median barrier, you don't have to worry about them being in between the carriageways.

Pittsburgh city cops take advantage of a perfect hiding area on Rt. 65 (Ohio River Blvd) Northbound right next to the West End Bridge (where the highway is posted at an unnecessarily low 40mph).  From the W.E. Bridge to the next exit (Marshall Ave) there are 3 northbound lanes, where they can stage mass pull-overs.
They also use the area for random various safety-checks (especially commercial vehicles), and the occasional DUI checkpoint.

I've also observed lately state cops watching the Parkway East sitting off to the side in the middle of the Forest Hills / Wilkinsburg interchange complex.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Duke87

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2009, 07:46:25 PM
New Jersey Turnpike is a place with a lot of cops.

And, as signs advise motorists, they double the fines in a 65 mph zone... can you say "ca-ching"?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Tarkus

The entire state of Oregon.  65 max on the Interstates, 55 max everywhere else.  It's like the infernal NMSL is still around.

-Alex (Tarkus)

allniter89

Yea, Smokie is always on US 58 somewhere shooting radar!  :no: in Emporia, VA.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

allniter89

Those d@mn Madison cops sat out on I 10 too, you could just about count on seeing him somewhere in the median of 10! :angry:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 03, 2009, 09:21:11 AMI can agree with that.  Though since at least 95% of it is narrow enough to have the median barrier, you don't have to worry about them being in between the carriageways.

They'll stick with areas where hillsides end or one of the nooks and/or cranies I mentioned earlier on 76 eastbound just beyond Exit 57.

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 03, 2009, 09:21:11 AMI've also observed lately state cops watching the Parkway East sitting off to the side in the middle of the Forest Hills / Wilkinsburg interchange complex.

I used to see them parked in the emergency pull-offs on the Parkway Central.  They also sit on the bottom of the hill approaching Exit 14.

Scott5114

QuoteThose d@mn Madison cops sat out on I 10 too, you could just about count on seeing him somewhere in the median of 10!

Madison of what state? I-10 doesn't go anywhere near Wisconsin...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Yes... why is there an SR-10 paralleling I-10? Isn't that confusing?

(of course ODOT has an OK-270 paralleling I-40/US-270...)

allniter89

QuoteMadison of what state? I-10 doesn't go anywhere near Wisconsin...
. Sorry bout that, I'm new to the forum and thought the quote from the post I was responding to would show in my post. I see MasterSon posted a google map for reference, remember where MAdison FL is cuz those county mounties dont play!
QuoteYes... why is there an SR-10 paralleling I-10? Isn't that confusing?
. No confusion cuz SR10 is signed and known as US90. All Interstate Hwys in FL also have a SR #, I 10 is SR8 but the onlly place I;ve seen it referred to as 8 is on FHP reports, I dont know why they do it?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

agentsteel53

Is OK-270 an old US-270 alignment at least?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

okroads

QuoteIs OK-270 an old US-270 alignment at least?

Yes, OK 270 is an old alignment of U.S. 270. Funny thing is...the state highway's western terminus in Harrah has an error "END US 270" assembly...

Revive 755

Regarding US 77 in Nebraska south of I-80 (unless it's changed in the past two weeks):

* I-80 to just south of L55W:  55mph.  Between I-80 and the stoplight at Pioneers Blvd is a full freeway that really should post at 60.  Usually a Lancaster County sheriff patrolling this section.

* Just south of L55W to north of Satillo Rd:  65 mph.

* Around the Satillo Rd stoplight:  50 mph.

* From south of Satillo to Princeton:  65 mph.

* Through Princeton:  55 mph?

* Between Princeton and Cortland:  65 mph.

* Through Cortland:  45 mph? (this was the slower town on the expressway section).

* South of Cortland to around Beatrice:  65 mph.

Hellfighter

deathtopumpkins

US-17/258 coming northbound off of the James River Bridge in Newport News, VA is a big one. Drops from 55 to 35 (the 35 stretch is brief before it goes back up to 45), and after going arrow straight for several miles its hard to keep it under 70, so there are many times I've seen a cop in the median after the bridge catching lazy drivers who don't notice the drop at first.
I think they should give the "Speed Limit 35 Ahead" signs flashers.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

QuoteYes, OK 270 is an old alignment of U.S. 270. Funny thing is...the state highway's western terminus in Harrah has an error "END US 270" assembly...

Not anymore...

The Dale terminus might still have a U.S. shield; I don't know for sure, but it did have one at some point. But when they went through and cleaverized things, a lot of the U.S.-for-state errors were fixed.

Roadgeek Adam

Middlesex CR 692, which runs on the western side of town, is a speed trap for its entire length. All 0.55 miles of it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Revive 755

More Nebraska speed traps

* NE 2 around Nebraska City:  I can kind of see having the speed limit drop between US 75 and the Missouri River bridge, but it stays at 55 too far west of the eastern US 75 intersection.  Definitely no reason for a reduction west of the western US 75 interchange.

* Most of I-80 and I-680 around Omaha:  No good reason to have most of these at 60 - set by state law.

* I-480:  For as empty as this one is during the PM rush, it needs to be higher than 50.

* Several rural US routes:  Need to be 65 instead of 60.

Missouri
* MO 141 between Heterich Connector (up the hill from Valley Park) and Rte HH:  Should be at least 50, and would be if MoDOT didn't need city ordinances to set speed limits.  Usually used to be a Manchester cop near the MO 100 interchange, and a county cop hiding on the NB shoulder just beyond the Big Bend SPUI.

* Most of US 40 west of MO 340:  Except for the WB Missouri River Bridge and the under construction section near Prospect Road, this one should be 65.

* US 61 between I-70 and somewhere north of Troy:  MoDOT dropped the speed limit from 65 to 60 instead of trying to enforce it (supposedly most drivers were going 70).

* I-70 somewhere between US 61 and MO 370:  stays at 60 way too long.

* I-44 from the St. Louis County line to at least MO 141:  should be 70 instead of having been reduced to 65 due to accidents near Six Flags - and after another crash out there, there were people on TV wanting it reduced to 55.  Inside MO 141 most of I-44 could probably be 65 when it is back in its four lane each way configuration.

* Rte JJ west of Stoutland:  Drops to 25 for at least one rural mile with limited driveways outside of the city.

* I-44 at Rolla:  should be at least 65 instead of 60.  The western edge of this speed trap seems to have shifted farther west of the town to encompass the climb up to the western exit.

Illinois
* IL 3 between IL 158 and the northern edge of Waterloo:  Should have stayed at 65 instead of being dropped after a highly publicized crash to 55 'because people are speeding' in the words of an IDOT engineer.

wandering drive

Moving from Minnesota-nice Minneapolis to Madison, Wisconsin, it took me a few months to get used to all the cops hiding out on I-94 and on the Beltline.  For the most part, they're pretty lenient and visible, so they only get people who deserve it, i.e., people who aren't paying attention.  Must be a lot of inattentive people down here, though...

Bryant5493

What I found odd on I-285, when construction is going on, sometimes there are reduced speed limit signs -- and the reduced speed limit is 55; however, 285's speed limit's already 55. :rolleyes: :D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

BigMattFromTexas

theres plenty of em' near SA but since no one comes to San Angelo im not gonna waist my time namin' em'
BigMatt

Tom

Years ago, my sister, who lives in Jackson, Michigan, said there was a speed trap on US-27 (now BUS US-127) on the northern edge of St. Johns, Michigan, where the speed limit going southbound  would drop from 50 to 35 m.p.h. :coffee:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.