Signs denoting Beginning and Ending of speed zones

Started by xonhulu, March 15, 2010, 12:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

This is a common practice in Oregon which annoys me: when leaving a town, there is posted an "END SPEED ZONE" or "END XX SPEED ZONE" sign, when they could just say "SPEED XX" indicating the return to whatever the rural speed limit was prior to the town.   Does this happen in any other states?  And is a local thing, or some state policy here?  I know it's not everywhere in Oregon, but seems pretty frequent.

Scott5114

Oklahoma is unique with regards to speed zones approaching and leaving towns. The new speed limit is phased in (out) in 10 mph increments. So, on southbound SH 24 (65 mph) going into Washington (25 mph), you get speed limits of 65, 55, 45, 35, and finally 25, which are reversed as you leave town.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mapman

I've actually seen both in California, but only in a few locations.  The "END XX SPEED ZONE" signs are rather old signs and are not current Caltrans practice.  I've also seen a stepped-down speed limit on a Caltrans highway -- CA 129 as it enters and exits Watsonville -- although it wasn't as gradual as in Oklahoma.  CA 129 transitions from 55 to 50 to 40 to 25 MPH when entering the city, and 25 to 40 to 50 to 55 MPH when leaving the city.  This highway is a major trucking corridor, so that might be the reason for this type of transition (just speculating).

roadfro

Quote from: xonhulu on March 15, 2010, 12:14:12 AM
This is a common practice in Oregon which annoys me: when leaving a town, there is posted an "END SPEED ZONE" or "END XX SPEED ZONE" sign, when they could just say "SPEED XX" indicating the return to whatever the rural speed limit was prior to the town.   Does this happen in any other states?  And is a local thing, or some state policy here?  I know it's not everywhere in Oregon, but seems pretty frequent.

From a cursory glance of the 2009 MUTCD, I cannot find an "End Speed Zone" sign anywhere. There are "End School Zone", "End School Speed Limit" and "End Fines Higher Zone" signs, though. I think I've seen such a sign before, but am not certain that it was documented in a previous MUTCD.

The use as described doesn't make that much sense to me though. If you've stopped in the town for a long period, it's possible to forget what the speed was before you enter the town. It's just as easy to post a new speed limit sign and remove any ambiguity.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2010, 12:18:00 AM
Oklahoma is unique with regards to speed zones approaching and leaving towns. The new speed limit is phased in (out) in 10 mph increments. So, on southbound SH 24 (65 mph) going into Washington (25 mph), you get speed limits of 65, 55, 45, 35, and finally 25, which are reversed as you leave town.

Oklahoma isn't unique in this regard. Nevada does a similar incremental speed limit reduction when approaching a town on a two-lane highway, then reverses those increments as you leave town. The increments are always 10 mph, going down to the town speed of 25 mph (or the occasional 35 mph).  The exception comes on many of the U.S. routes with rural speed limits of 70, in which the first reduction is to 55 mph then dropping by 10 mph from there.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

corco

QuoteThis is a common practice in Oregon which annoys me: when leaving a town, there is posted an "END SPEED ZONE" or "END XX SPEED ZONE" sign, when they could just say "SPEED XX" indicating the return to whatever the rural speed limit was prior to the town.   Does this happen in any other states?  And is a local thing, or some state policy here?  I know it's not everywhere in Oregon, but seems pretty frequent.

I hate when Oregon does this and they do it a lot- especially when there's a multiple speed speed decline where it goes 55-45-25 then END SPEED ZONE. I always get confused- should I go 45 or 55? Just post a sign, please.

QuoteOklahoma is unique with regards to speed zones approaching and leaving towns. The new speed limit is phased in (out) in 10 mph increments. So, on southbound SH 24 (65 mph) going into Washington (25 mph), you get speed limits of 65, 55, 45, 35, and finally 25, which are reversed as you leave town.

Idaho actually does this on a fairly regular basis- sometimes not perfect 10 MPH, but the same general idea- around where I am on Idaho 55 (this being the non-Interstate I drive on most frequently and therefore have memorized the speed limit patterns), you have (heading northbound)

Horseshoe Bend- 60-35-25-35-55
Cascade- 65-50-35-25-35-50-65
Donnelly- 65-45-35-25-35-45-65
McCall 55-45-35-25-35-45-55
New Meadows 55-45-35-25-35-45-65

Why Cascade gets 50 while the others get 45 is a mystery- I'd guess it's because the zone is roughly 1/3 mile long on each end, whereas it's more like 1/8 in the other towns

papaT10932

This is also common in New York State. A sign will be posted that says "End 35 MPH speed zone". This means a return to the state speed limit of 55. But I notice this only happens on roads when the state speed limit is posted on both sides of the speed zone. In other words, 55-35-55. You would rarely see in New York 40-35-"E.S.Z."- 55.

vdeane

Not quite true.  On US 11 in Potsdam, it goes 30 to 45 and then end 45 mph limit (to 55).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

Pennsylvania has a few similar signs around Pittsburgh, but they are 'end speed limit xx' IIRC.  Never liked them because most of the roads didn't appear fit to be posted at 55.

Truvelo

Does each state have a default limit for each type of road? In NY I've seen plenty of signs on rural 2-lane roads saying STATE SPEED LIMIT 55. Therefore if NY uses end speed signs I would assume it meant the limit from then on is 55.

In the UK and some other countries like France we use to indicate the end of a speed limit. Specifically it means 60mph on undivided and 70 on divided roads in the UK.
Speed limits limit life

74/171FAN

I know in my area there is an "end 45 mile speed" on VA 106 near the courthouse in Prince George and I also remember a few on SR 602 in Chesterfield Co. but I don't know if they're still there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Truvelo on March 15, 2010, 01:06:20 PMDoes each state have a default limit for each type of road? In NY I've seen plenty of signs on rural 2-lane roads saying STATE SPEED LIMIT 55. Therefore if NY uses end speed signs I would assume it meant the limit from then on is 55.

Yes, states do have default limits.  The problem is that the limits vary from state to state and you are typically never given an opportunity to familiarize yourself with them as you cross the state line, unlike the case with most countries on the European continent where you see a sign indicating the default limits as you cross the border (or, in Italy, leave an international airport).  Texas is the only exception that comes to mind.

It is for this reason that the MUTCD encourages agencies to sign a numerical speed limit rather than to use "END SPEED ZONE" signage.  Some states like New York, and Arizona many years ago, split the difference by using signs identifying the default speed limit ("STATE SPEED LIMIT 55," etc.) to indicate the ends of speed zones.

I think "END SPEED ZONE" may have been in the MUTCD at one point, but I cannot recall having seen it in any recent edition.  In addition to "END 35 SPEED" in California, which may still exist as a Caltrans sign spec, Caltrans also has "MAXIMUM SPEED" signs which I think are used for differential speed limits for trucks and autos hauling trailers.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

deathtopumpkins

In Virginia we gradually step down speed limits when entering a town (example that comes to mind is US-60 eastbound at Cape Henry in Virginia Beach, where it rejoins the beach. 55-45-35-25). Once out of the town, however, they just post a standard speed limit sign that states the (generally highest) speed limit encountered before the town.

Also, most state border crossings I've seen have a speed limit sign on each side, sometimes with a plaque that says something like "Unless Otherwise Posted". Virginia does have a state speed limit of 55 though, and we do (WAY out in the middle of nowhere) use "End XX Mile Speed" signs, such as this one in Gloucester County:
but these are so rare that it really isn't important to know the state speed limit. I've never found a situation like this on any primary road.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

myosh_tino

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 15, 2010, 03:18:12 PM
I think "END SPEED ZONE" may have been in the MUTCD at one point, but I cannot recall having seen it in any recent edition.  In addition to "END 35 SPEED" in California, which may still exist as a Caltrans sign spec, Caltrans also has "MAXIMUM SPEED" signs which I think are used for differential speed limits for trucks and autos hauling trailers.
Yes, the "END 35 SPEED LIMIT" sign is still in the Caltrans sign spec.  The "MAXIMUM SPEED XX" sign was deleted a few years ago and replaced with the standard "SPEED LIMIT XX" sign although there are a few "MAXIMUM SPEED" signs still around.

As I understand it, when the NMSL (National Maximum Speed Limit... 55 MPH) was implemented, California state laws regarding speed limits were written in such a way that the limits were defined by the "Basic Speed Law" and was whatever was "reasonable and prudent" for the conditions.  When the NMSL went into effect, Caltrans had to create a new sign (MAXIMUM SPEED) to tell drivers that the "Basic Speed Law" did not apply.

In the latest version of the Caltrans' sign specs, there are speed limit signs for trucks w/3+ axles and for all vehicles when towing.  So when you're driving along a California freeway with a posted limit of 65 MPH or greater, you will normally see three speed limits signs.  The first is the standard "SPEED LIMIT 65" sign followed by the "TRUCKS 3 AXLES OR MORE 55 MAXIMUM" sign followed by the "ALL VEHICLES WHEN TOWING 55 MAXIMUM" sign.

END XX SPEED LIMIT...

Trucks and Towing Limits...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

I get the distinct idea that the MAXIMUM SPEED and SPEED LIMIT signs were not posted in rigorous adherence to the law.  On the Bay Bridge lower deck there is a pair of 50 signs: the left one says SPEED LIMIT, the right one says MAXIMUM SPEED.  Whatever the difference may be there, I do not know.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

joseph1723

Ontario dosen't use the "END SPEED ZONE" signage for a return to a higher spped limit instead we used signs that say "MAXIMUM XX km/h BEGINS" like the one shown.

MAXIMUM XX km/h BEGINS:             Slower speed limit ahead sign:

The speed usually just steps directly from the higher rural limit which is usually 80km/h to the town limit which is usually 50-60km/h and then directly to the rural limit again.

hbelkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 15, 2010, 04:42:10 PM

but these are so rare that it really isn't important to know the state speed limit. I've never found a situation like this on any primary road.

Kentucky uses these; they are typically followed by a 55 mph sign. There are several cases in Kentucky where the speed limit goes from 55 to 35 and vice versa without an intervening 45 limit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mightyace

^^^

I've seen these here in TN.  But, like most other signage, their application is about as consistent as a NASCAR official.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 15, 2010, 12:33:40 PM
Pennsylvania has a few similar signs around Pittsburgh, but they are 'end speed limit xx' IIRC.

The fustercluck of municipalities around here also contributes to unecessary "end speed limit" signs on the smaller roads...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bellevue,+PA&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.176833,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bellevue,+Allegheny,+Pennsylvania&ll=40.495314,-80.028212&spn=0.005809,0.013733&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.495277,-80.028323&panoid=Z-B9aesDXFgkLZ2xUurESw&cbp=12,91.36,,0,3.59

(To get the real effect from that location, you need to "drive" forward a little bit)

That's an example of passing an "END" Speed Limit 25 (where this road leaves Ross Township), a couple of feet later, when entering the City of Pittsburgh, you pass a "Speed Limit 25" sign.
(They're far enough apart they don't show up in the same image with Street View)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Hellfighter

Hellfighter

Apart from the city of Detroit, I have never seen one of these signs anywhere else. When the speed limit changes, the first sign will have at the top, "BEGIN" followed by the speed limit. Do they have these anywhere else, or is this just isolated here? BTW, here's an example of the sign...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=14920+Cavour,+Livonia,+Wayne,+Michigan+48154&layer=c&cbll=42.372252,-83.217094&panoid=v6zwAauCj_GkouDkBd8CTA&cbp=11,127.8,,1,0.77&ll=42.372258,-83.21664&spn=0.002639,0.018024&z=17

Bryant5493

Never seen that. Just've seen the increase or decrease in speed limit.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

rawmustard

"BEGIN" and "END" signs have been used in conjunction with speed limit signs throughout Indiana for as long as I can remember.

Brian556

SSOWorld

merging the begin and end speed signs - were essentially talking the same subject - just on opposite ends ;) :happy:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.