Extremely annoying things about roads and idiots driving on them

Started by texaskdog, July 29, 2019, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Things that have happened in the last week for me:

Being on a bike in a sharrow lane but getting all sorts of honking from drivers who are very eager to move 100 feet to sit at the next stoplight in gridlocked traffic. One threatened to run me over and instead got a nice talking to from the police (for a good 30 minutes).

A dozen cars passed through a marked crosswalk without stopping for myself and an elderly person, despite plenty of signs professing that it's the law (and it takes all of 20 seconds). Most were predictably going over the speed limit to save a few seconds of time while passing through a pedestrian-heavy area where an extra few mph could mean the difference between an injured pedestrian and a mangled corpse.

Drivers who take turns in parking lots at speed and get very close to hitting people who are just trying to walk from the street to their grocery store.

Plenty of illegal passes and ignorance around buses that I ride. Drivers love to cross into oncoming traffic to get around a bus that is already starting to move from an in-lane stop. They also love to ignore the clearly marked yield sign on buses who are coming out of a pullout stop (hence why pullout stops should be phased out in favor of in-lane, curb-out stops to prevent unnecessary bus delays).

Rothman

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 29, 2019, 09:23:47 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 29, 2019, 09:22:02 PM
I don't use the horn very much - and very rarely is it  because someone didn't take off immediately from a stoplight. I don't find it necessary to honk in that situation. My two main uses of the horn are:

(1) when someone pulls out in front of me and I have to brake to avoid rear-ending them. I have also been known to accelerate and pass them, even when there's a double solid line as long as visibility is good enough.
(2) when someone goes blowing past a visible queue and attempts to cut in at the last second. I recall a few cases where I have counted to 15 while honking. It is satisfying, but not near so much as blocking them out, or, better yet, forcing them down an alternate route.

In both cases your honks do nothing. In situation (1), it's already too late - you need to be honking the moment you see the indicator light come on/his head turn/his wheels turn/his car drifts.

For (2), once they blow by you, it's too late also. They know they're breaking the rules, and an angry honk isn't going to deter them.

Honking should be defensive, not therapeutic.
Respecting the zipper is not breaking the rules.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

texaskdog

Quote from: Bruce on July 29, 2019, 10:29:06 PM
Things that have happened in the last week for me:

Being on a bike in a sharrow lane but getting all sorts of honking from drivers who are very eager to move 100 feet to sit at the next stoplight in gridlocked traffic. One threatened to run me over and instead got a nice talking to from the police (for a good 30 minutes).

Drivers who take turns in parking lots at speed and get very close to hitting people who are just trying to walk from the street to their grocery store.

True but a lot of people walk in parking lots and don't even look.  Having the right of way does not excuse trying to be safe.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2019, 10:32:57 PM
(2) when someone goes blowing past a visible queue and attempts to cut in at the last second. I recall a few cases where I have counted to 15 while honking. It is satisfying, but not near so much as blocking them out, or, better yet, forcing them down an alternate route.
For (2), once they blow by you, it's too late also. They know they're breaking the rules

As I have noted multiple times in various threads, the zipper (which I am an advocate of) applies to merges only. It does not apply to exit ramps.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2019, 12:29:09 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2019, 10:32:57 PM
For (2), once they blow by you, it's too late also. They know they're breaking the rules

As I have noted multiple times in various threads, the zipper (which I am an advocate of) applies to merges only. It does not apply to exit ramps.

What, people blowing by you on the shoulder of an exit ramp?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

-People that brake, when approaching a green traffic signal with no one in front of them. Why!?!?
I understand you do have to brake and/or stop here the other 99 out of 100 times, but on this rare occasion can't you accelerate and allow those of us behind you to benefit from this rare opportunity as well?

-People that use mobile devices while driving. Not because it's illegal, but because you're not paying attention when you're distracted, and thus are prone to being unresponsive to situations that arise and/or doing something stupid. Besides, it is just not necessary. You're on the road - enjoy it! Your text messages can wait!

-People that pass at a snail's pace, and then speed up once they're finished passing, especially when they're hogging the left lane the whole time. Their speed up-slow down cycles are detrimental to the operations of the entire freeway, because no one can get ahead of them. I don't even have a chance to pass on the right when they're either passing at 65 mph, or doing 90 mph on the clear stretches. Frustrating to no end! Fortunately, I don't encounter it too often.

-People that don't discriminate between acceptable and unacceptable speed limits, and abide by them all, all the time. Obviously, this does not apply to roads with four or more lanes. Sometimes, the DOT or local jurisdiction sets a limit that just doesn't even make sense in the context of the system as a whole. I know that sign there says 35, but they actually meant 55, given that everyone on this road has many miles to travel. It's OK; you can speed up, no need to hold this ridiculously low speed until the line behind you is several hundred cars in length.

-I know this one is going to require popcorn: roundabouts in general. They're actually preferred to four way stops, but American drivers don't know how to use them; usually stopping instead of yielding upon entry, and often waiting for theoretical cars that never end up crossing their path.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on July 30, 2019, 12:47:03 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2019, 12:29:09 PM
What, people blowing by you on the shoulder of an exit ramp?

No, people using the through lanes until the last second and then cutting in at the gore point, instead of joining the end of the existing line in the exit only lane.

corco

How about people who don't know what to do at two way stops?

Unlike at a four way stop it has absolutely nothing to do with who got there first but people in Idaho at least seem to have no clue about this. Left turning traffic is supposed to yield to everybody else at a two way stop in all fifty states as far as I know.

jbnv

My office is a left turn from a road just past an intersection on the right. In fact this GSMV just so happens to have a vehicle making a left turn from the oncoming lane right where I need to stop to make my left turn. I get honked quite a few times by people who apparently don't understand how double lines work. In fact, there's usually oncoming traffic, so I have to slow down or stop and wait for a hole in the oncoming traffic. And to make it richer, sometimes someone else who works in this complex will breach the center lane and pull up alongside me on the left to make their turn. This is an accident waiting to happen.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SidS1045

Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2019, 01:00:08 PM
-People that use mobile devices while driving. Not because it's illegal, but because you're not paying attention when you're distracted, and thus are prone to being unresponsive to situations that arise and/or doing something stupid. Besides, it is just not necessary. You're on the road - enjoy it! Your text messages can wait!

...and its thoroughly annoying corollary:  People who use mobile devices while stopped at a traffic signal...and therefore stop paying attention to the light.  They end up sitting there after the light turns green, inviting a chorus of horns.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kphoger

People who don't know what to do at an uncontrolled intersection.  Dude, we got there at around the same time, and you're on the right, so I will yield to you–and I'll just park it right here until you figure that out.

Quote from: Brandon on July 29, 2019, 08:36:54 PM
People who have no clue that the freeway entrance ramp is the acceleration lane and that they're supposed to be up to freeway speed prior to merging into traffic.  Jackasses around here tend to enter the freeway at 40-45 mph while traffic is moving at 60-75 mph.

I aim for about 5 to 10 mph below the speed limit when merging onto a highway.  Several reasons for this:

1.  I try to conserve gas during my acceleration.  Accelerating more quickly at on-ramps significantly affects my gas mileage.

2.  At least at typical interchanges, merging happens in the slow lane.  If traffic is at all heavy, especially in the city, that lane rarely gets above the speed limit or 5 over at most (around here anyway).

3.  Aiming for under the speed limit allows me two easy options to merge into a line of cars if I find myself immediately next to one at the merge point:  (a) easily drift back behind the car and merge in behind it, or (b) speed up to the speed limit and merge in front of it.  It's when I'm going the same speed as everyone else that merging becomes a battle, not when I'm slightly slower than everyone else.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 30, 2019, 02:25:59 PM

...and its thoroughly annoying corollary:  People who use mobile devices while stopped at a traffic signal...and therefore stop paying attention to the light.  They end up sitting there after the light turns green, inviting a chorus of horns.

But around here, a lot of people don't honk when that happens. I'll be fifth on line and I'll be the only person to honk. Makes me think all the other people are playing with their phones too.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

corco

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2019, 03:18:35 PM

But around here, a lot of people don't honk when that happens. I'll be fifth on line and I'll be the only person to honk. Makes me think all the other people are playing with their phones too.

This happens in Boise all the time too. I feel like I'm the only person in this city willing to use their horn sometimes

sprjus4

I'll do it occasionally, however at the same time I'm watching the light. I don't put all of my attention in my phone though like the people who don't realize the light turned green do, and when I do use my phone, it's usually quick like checking routing, etc. not sending a text message.

TheHighwayMan3561

Anyone who I have the misfortune of driving nearby when there's a cop anywhere within 5 miles.

The random braking for a cop in the median, even if they're not speeding. They drive 10 under past the cop. Then they refuse to accelerate again until the cop is out of sight. I want to nuke all these people from orbit.

Hell, there are idiots who slam on their brakes for a cop engaged in a traffic stop on the other side of the road. Good lord. He's not going to stop what he's doing to come get you.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

I experienced the other way on this.  I once got nailed at a light in Orlando and saw a cop next to me so I made sure I did not go over the stop line to receive a ticket (which he could give me if he wants).  I actually did so, however the guy in the third lane went 10 feet over the stop line and believe it or not, the cop did nothing.  I do not think he gave a rats ass about the formality of the situation.

Then a semi almost side swiped me with an Orange County Deputy behind us, who did nothing as he saw he carelessly was driving and could have injured me and damaged my car.  That one really pissed me off that he did nothing either.

So therefore cops in my state are not feared as much as other places.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2019, 09:38:37 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 29, 2019, 08:26:53 PM
People who drive way over the speed limit but some how take forever to accelerate from a stop sign/light. 

That's me, actually.  It's the #1 contributor to good gas mileage.  Whenever possible, I try to keep the tach needle below 2200 rpm when accelerating, yet my top speed is almost always at least 5 mph over the limit.

The opposite annoy me:  those who accelerate super fast and loud with a plume of diesel exhaust, and then end up going slower than me.

I take the opposite approach and find I get rather good mileage, accelerate quickly through the gears to the highest one you need for the speed you're going, i.e. 4th at 30 mph, 5th at 40 mph, 6th at 50 mph.  That way, I waste less time and fuel in the more wasteful 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on July 30, 2019, 04:55:42 PM

People who drive way over the speed limit but some how take forever to accelerate from a stop sign/light. 

That's me, actually.  It's the #1 contributor to good gas mileage.  Whenever possible, I try to keep the tach needle below 2200 rpm when accelerating, yet my top speed is almost always at least 5 mph over the limit.

The opposite annoy me:  those who accelerate super fast and loud with a plume of diesel exhaust, and then end up going slower than me.

I take the opposite approach and find I get rather good mileage, accelerate quickly through the gears to the highest one you need for the speed you're going, i.e. 4th at 30 mph, 5th at 40 mph, 6th at 50 mph.  That way, I waste less time and fuel in the more wasteful 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears.

You're making me miss having a manual transmission.   :-(
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TEG24601

Quote from: Brandon on July 30, 2019, 04:55:42 PM

You know, I had someone suggested that when gas was near $5/gal after Katrina, and it actually worked, for me.  I had an automatic, and I would just accelerate to causing speed faster than I used to, and actually raised my city MPG from 19-20 to 23-24.  Once the fuel prices dropped back below $4, I stopped.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

kphoger

Nope, not me.  The rate of acceleration is the #1 or #2 contributor to fuel economy, in my experience.  The other is weather:  fuel economy stinks in the winter no matter what, and the constant a/c use in the heat of summer also negatively affects fuel economy.  Those two items affect it more than either top cruising speed (with the exception of speeds above 70-75 mph) or tire inflation.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Honestly...  Having driven probably 7000 or so total miles in Mexico over the years, not much really phases me on the road.  Down there, I've encountered turnpike doubles going 20 mph or less up a long hill on a tollway, horse carts on the shoulder, BMWs and Porsches going 100 mph, trucks and buses passing on blind hills and curves, unpainted speed bumps on the highway, pot holes, missing drain covers, burnt-out stoplights, drivers running red lights, drivers going on the wrong side of a divided highway, cars with no brake lights, disabled vehicles left in the travel lane, dead bloated animals on the shoulder, police and military checkpoints, livestock on the road...  Stuff that used to annoy me just doesn't really phase me at all anymore.

But probably the one thing that still annoys me to no end is people who tailgate really close on the highway.  Especially truckers who do that.  It makes me really uneasy.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on July 31, 2019, 02:33:21 PM
Honestly...  Having driven probably 7000 or so total miles in Mexico over the years, not much really phases me on the road.  Down there, I've encountered turnpike doubles going 20 mph or less up a long hill on a tollway, horse carts on the shoulder, BMWs and Porsches going 100 mph, trucks and buses passing on blind hills and curves, unpainted speed bumps on the highway, pot holes, missing drain covers, burnt-out stoplights, drivers running red lights, drivers going on the wrong side of a divided highway, cars with no brake lights, disabled vehicles left in the travel lane, dead bloated animals on the shoulder, police and military checkpoints, livestock on the road...  Stuff that used to annoy me just doesn't really phase me at all anymore.

I've been in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic a few times.

Ditto.

Here's the thing - they have some extremely-high tech traffic lights.  Significant structures holding the lights.   The walk sign is an animated person walking.  Numerous lights each direction at the intersection...overhead and side mounted.  Countdown timers.  That said, they're high-tech when they work.  Repairs can take a while when they don't.

On the other hand, they have speed bumps or something similar to our Botts Dots across their main roads.  People driving at all speeds - very slow to very fast - on anything that resembles pavement, regardless of the lines.   Our taxi driver on our first trip avoided a right light by turning right, making a u-ey between cars, then turning back onto the main road.  People and animals piled in trucks and buses as best as they could fit.

Their route shields are similar to the US shield, which are red and blue with a similar shape.  And they have at least 1 'roundabout' that is about double the size of a traditional Jersey traffic circle, with about a 750 foot circumference!

Interesting place!

webny99

Sometimes, I wish the SOP of "anything goes / whatever works" in other countries applied more in the US, as well, rather than everything being so regulated. If there are safety concerns, make it tougher to get a license, not harder to have fun and be efficient as you see fit on the road.

Some things that we could abandon entirely that I would not miss are: four-way stops, speed limits, double solid yellow lines.

byoungblood

Quote from: texaskdog on July 29, 2019, 05:45:25 PM
The one I hate is the right turn lane that also goes straight, and people insist on parking it there so people can't right turn.

Town I moved out of in Mississippi actually got rid of the dedicated right turn lanes at a few heavy traffic intersections when they "improved" them a couple of years ago...guess what, they get backed up from people just trying to make a right turn because of ONE car!

QuoteAlso the red left turn arrow when you can see no one is coming.  Finally most of those are going to the blinking yellow.

I'm going to go to hell for this, but if I don't see LEOs around, I just run them (when there is no traffic, of course) where the DOT hasn't gotten with the program and the timing on the lights is ridiculous. I'm not going to sit around and wait for lights to go through a full cycle just to make a left turn across no traffic. Light to the road I live on in VA has one, and at least someone had half a brain and set it up to stop the opposing lanes to give a green to left turns without going through a complete cycle first. But those seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2019, 03:21:21 PM
Our taxi driver on our first trip avoided a right light by turning right, making a u-ey between cars, then turning back onto the main road.

Which seems crazy, until you realize it's only about two steps away from a Michigan Left.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.