News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Thickest mast arms

Started by STLmapboy, July 01, 2020, 11:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Although lots of people regard them as monstrosities, I kind of like the sturdy look.
But here, I'm talking a notch above. Not just standard thickness in newer installs but a cut above, like this, this, or this (though the last example isn't great, there are better ones from TX). Any one else have examples?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

EpicRoadways

Minnesota isn't exactly known for having the thickest or most sturdy-looking mast arms around, but I think this one might just barely edge out the OP's example.

These behemoths along Cedar Ave. in Apple Valley were installed maybe eight years ago (compare them to the MN standard width on the cross-street at the same intersection). What's funny is that despite the width the cross-arm still has the distinct Minnesota-style truss that most signals across the state use. Surely a monotube would've been less expensive...

(Also, the standard-sized light attachment makes it all the more strange looking and REALLY shows how fat those masts are :-D)

STLmapboy

Quote from: EpicRoadways on July 01, 2020, 11:36:02 PM
Minnesota isn't exactly known for having the thickest or most sturdy-looking mast arms around, but I think this one might just barely edge out the OP's example.

These behemoths along Cedar Ave. in Apple Valley were installed maybe eight years ago (compare them to the MN standard width on the cross-street at the same intersection). What's funny is that despite the width the cross-arm still has the distinct Minnesota-style truss that most signals across the state use. Surely a monotube would've been less expensive...

(Also, the standard-sized light attachment makes it all the more strange looking and REALLY shows how fat those masts are :-D)

I love how they still managed the MN truss with it. I'm oddly partial to MN's design, which seems to pop up in ND a lot also.
But yeah, good example.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

KEK Inc.

Not sure if we're counting mono-tubes (often used diagonally across interchanges that used to be span-wire or SPUI) 

Washington:
SR-9 in Turner's Corner
US-2 in East Wenatchee
SR-96 in Mill Creek
SR-509 in Kent

As far as conventional mast/mast-arms, I've noticed it's just a trend in new traffic-light mast-arm design in many states. 

California:
CA-262 in Fremont
CA-1 in Carmel-By-The-Sea
CA-79 in Temecula

Oregon:
OR-99E in Portland (ODOT; not Portland DOT's signature curved mast-arm)
US-97 in Brigg's Jct

Nevada:
NV-160 in Enterprise

Washington:
23rd Ave in Seattle (SDOT)
NE 139th St in Clark County

Florida (has the thickest from what I've seen):
FL-64 in Bradenton
FL-70 in Bradenton
DDI in Bradenton
FL-907 in Miami Beach

My guess is that thick masts are used since some DOTs are also adding cameras and microwave sensors to actuate signals (rather than inductive loop sensors) on the installation.  The added circumference might decrease the impact of high wind to stabilize the structure, especially with more sensors placed on the mast and mast-arm. 

Take the road less traveled.

Ned Weasel

Does it count if they're supported by a pole at both ends?  If so, I've always been fond of this one in Atchison, Kansas (not to mention how much I love the classic-style backlit signs): https://goo.gl/maps/dxMw8A3q43okSSXD7

And when that's not enough, you can always use a full gantry:
https://goo.gl/maps/khamKdoc3sFYW4Qi9
https://goo.gl/maps/4fTYZHqW42CKkgti8
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

steviep24

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Great Lakes Roads

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

paulthemapguy

Brandon basically said what I was going to say.  Wisconsin's mast arms look morbidly obese, even when they're just 20-30 feet long.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

STLmapboy

Unusually thick Michigan mast arm outside a golf club near Petoskey. Dates from before 2007 too.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

EpicRoadways

Well if we're counting mast arms supported by two poles, I have something waayyy better than my original submission for MN. This thing is so insane it's actually featured on the Millerbernd Manufacturing website

STLmapboy

Quote from: EpicRoadways on July 06, 2020, 11:29:11 PM
Well if we're counting mast arms supported by two poles, I have something waayyy better than my original submission for MN. This thing is so insane it's actually featured on the Millerbernd Manufacturing website.

Sexy! I like this little detail as well.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

MCRoads

Well if we're counting mast arms supported by two poles, I have something waayyy better than my original submission for MN. This thing is so insane it's actually featured on the Millerbernd Manufacturing website.

Is the reason it's like that because of the RR Xing?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

EpicRoadways

Quote from: MCRoads on July 07, 2020, 11:16:28 AM

Yup. Since the RR crosses at a diagonal, normal mast arms would interfere with the gates on two of the four approaches. Having the signal at a diagonal also helps with visibility since they're mounted closer to what is otherwise an extremely set-back stop line. It's actually really impressive that they managed to accomplish this without using any supplemental masts.

STLmapboy

Colo Springs is traditionally a span wire hub, but a newer install has this industrial style mast. Take a look at what's holding the arm to the pole.  :-o
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: EpicRoadways on July 07, 2020, 10:48:54 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on July 07, 2020, 11:16:28 AM

Yup. Since the RR crosses at a diagonal, normal mast arms would interfere with the gates on two of the four approaches. Having the signal at a diagonal also helps with visibility since they're mounted closer to what is otherwise an extremely set-back stop line. It's actually really impressive that they managed to accomplish this without using any supplemental masts.

Ath this point why not just use a span wire setup?

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

MCRoads

This intersection in Tampa that could've used a monotube... but didn't!

https://goo.gl/maps/HngZFCXCrmsTNcCz9
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.