News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Thickest mast arms

Started by STLmapboy, July 01, 2020, 11:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Great Lakes Roads

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Just saw this thing driving from northern MN to St Louis. Gives many BGS's a run for their money
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

tchafe1978

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 25, 2020, 01:14:14 PM
Just saw this thing driving from northern MN to St Louis. Gives many BGS's a run for their money

https://goo.gl/maps/3phkgjZanvMSNiay5

That one is similar to this on in Dubuque, IA, though your example is thicker. Iowa sure likes their large signal trusses.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 25, 2020, 01:14:14 PM

Strange that there are 2 green arrows on the rightmost signal

Mccojm

I don't have any pictures and google earth doesn't have street view as these signals are new, but region 10 NYSDOT put up its last 75ft mast arm a few weeks ago. There was a 75ft arm that went up a couple months ago and immediately began to buckle at the elbow. Lay I heard region is moving forward with 65ft max arms now. Also the riser poles for our signal mast arms and overhead BGS are ridiculously massive... designed to withstand cat 5 hurricanes apparently.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

STLmapboy

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 02, 2020, 01:11:32 AM
As far as conventional mast/mast-arms, I've noticed it's just a trend in new traffic-light mast-arm design in many states. 

California:
CA-262 in Fremont
CA-1 in Carmel-By-The-Sea
CA-79 in Temecula

With CA it's not so much the arm itself as the pole on the side. I drove by today on a vacation: examples at 5 & Encinitas Blvd and 5 & Del Mar Heights. The new ramp metering signal at 5 & Manchester is also endowed with tremendous girth, more so than most conventional mast arms.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Revive 755

Quote from: Mccojm on July 26, 2020, 11:28:47 PM
I don't have any pictures and google earth doesn't have street view as these signals are new, but region 10 NYSDOT put up its last 75ft mast arm a few weeks ago. There was a 75ft arm that went up a couple months ago and immediately began to buckle at the elbow. Lay I heard region is moving forward with 65ft max arms now. Also the riser poles for our signal mast arms and overhead BGS are ridiculously massive... designed to withstand cat 5 hurricanes apparently.

So what happens if they need to position signal heads but a mast arm longer than 65 feet would be required:  Do they use a bridge setup (similar to the Iowa example) or switch to span wire?

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: Mccojm on July 26, 2020, 11:28:47 PM

Where exactly is this? That has to be one massive arm.

@Revive: span wires are usually used for bigger intersections. R10 (Long Island) only started using mast arms on state installations relatively recently. Nassau county uses them by default, local agencies in Suffolk sometimes use them now too.

STLmapboy

Well among the non-monotubes this may take the cake for thickest.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ozarkman417

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 01, 2020, 09:46:31 PM
1. I took a single click after looking at the mast, to find out it replaces a span wire.
2. that one is a lot thicker than the rest at the intersection.. must be because that one holds twice the number of signals as the rest.

brad2971

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 07, 2020, 11:06:00 PM
Colo Springs is traditionally a span wire hub, but a newer install has this industrial style mast. Take a look at what's holding the arm to the pole.  :-o

That's been the latest CDOT standard mast for traffic lights for at least the last 15 years, since Powers Blvd is also SH 21. Now, if you go up Fountain Blvd/US 24 from that intersection, you'll see the latest Colorado Springs standard mast.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.81367,-104.7576527,3a,37.5y,176.58h,94.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk_5JOuhgHxUrWXwrN67tPA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en/

STLmapboy

Just a tad bulky...
Nice to see more masts in Tennesse though!
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadman65

Florida has been installing bulky ones a lot. In Lakeland thin mast arms are being replaced with fat ones little by little.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Quote from: roadman65 on August 03, 2020, 11:49:48 PM
Florida has been installing bulky ones a lot. In Lakeland thin mast arms are being replaced with fat ones little by little.

The same trend appears to be happening on the opposite coast.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 01, 2020, 10:20:24 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 01, 2020, 09:46:31 PM
1. I took a single click after looking at the mast, to find out it replaces a span wire.
2. that one is a lot thicker than the rest at the intersection.. must be because that one holds twice the number of signals as the rest.

That's exactly the reason why they're so thick.

Here in the Richmond metro they have been popping up in a few places (but only on VDOT maintained roads, not inside the city).

Besides that US 360 one and the US 250 one listed in the OP, here's a couple more:

US 60 WB just west of VA 150
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VDGF9dyXDzCySrCA7

Further west but this time on the EB side. This one doesn't have as many signals as the others but I suspect it's thick because of how far away the mast is from them
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qeMRSzb2PqwKfDWL7
Newark born, Richmond bred

jdbx

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 04, 2020, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 03, 2020, 11:49:48 PM

The same trend appears to be happening on the opposite coast.

I have also noticed that all of the recent installations or upgrades that I have seen in my area are with much thicker poles of this type.  I wonder if the CalTrans or state design standards have changed?  It seems like that would be the only explanation for such a widespread but rather sudden change in design.

roadman65

Texas though keeps there (from what I have seen as I have not yet visited West Texas yet) and only along IH 20, IH 30, and IH 35 to see what the signals are here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49455356418/in/dateposted-public/

This one at US 271's southern terminus (yes it does not connect to US 69 in the same city) I kind of like over the big fat ones.  Only drawback is that it is too long as they could have used one three feet shorter.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Quote from: roadman65 on August 05, 2020, 08:58:45 AM
Texas though keeps there (from what I have seen as I have not yet visited West Texas yet) and only along IH 20, IH 30, and IH 35 to see what the signals are here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49455356418/in/dateposted-public/

This one at US 271's southern terminus (yes it does not connect to US 69 in the same city) I kind of like over the big fat ones.  Only drawback is that it is too long as they could have used one three feet shorter.

I guess it looks a bit flimsy to me. For new installs I like stuff like this (also in Tyler).
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

MCRoads

This one in Boston is pretty large for its size. And a similar mast arm is not nearly as thick.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadman65

Quote from: MCRoads on August 05, 2020, 09:35:30 PM
This one in Boston is pretty large for its size. And a similar mast arm is not nearly as thick.
Considering Boston copied New Jersey in their truss style mast arms, this is a big change for them.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.