News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Where are there still pedestrian signals with words instead of pictograms?

Started by KCRoadFan, August 20, 2020, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

When I was growing up (early to mid-aughts), I used to see a lot of pedestrian signals with the words "WALK/DONT WALK"  (no apostrophe, of course). Nowadays, they are practically an endangered species, having been replaced in almost all cases by the "orange hand"  and "silver walking figure"  pictograms. This started happening around 2006, I remember.

Yet, if you look long and hard enough, you'll still see some with the words. I've seen several throughout the KC area, especially along State Avenue in downtown/inner city KCK. (My understanding is that the signals are replaced on an as-needed basis, so the ones that still have the words tend to be older and relatively low-maintenance, often in low-income areas.)

Where are some other intersections around the country where, in 2020, they still had pedestrian signals with words as opposed to pictograms? I'm sure there are plenty around - you just may have to look a little harder for them.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Big John

Ashwaubenon, WI still uses the words on signals installed just before the 2000 MUTCD.

1995hoo

Downtown DC has some, such as the ones at New York & H NW. (I don't mean to suggest these are the only ones DC has. They're just the ones that readily come to mind because I used to walk past there every day on my way to the Metro.) Here's a clearer image of another one half a block away at 13th & New York NW: https://goo.gl/maps/Nt66yTxXmrukYhzu9
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 20, 2020, 12:27:41 PM
My understanding is that the signals are replaced on an as-needed basis, so the ones that still have the words tend to be older...

I think you just answered your own question.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
My understanding is that the signals are replaced on an as-needed basis, so the ones that still have the words tend to be older...

I know. I'm more asking about specific places where people have actually seen them in use.

roadman

Albion Street and Broadway in Wakefield Massachusetts still has word ped signals instead of pictographs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 20, 2020, 01:31:05 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2020, 01:29:23 PM

I know. I'm more asking about specific places where people have actually seen them in use.

Totally misread the topic.  I thought it was "Why..." not "Where..."

Apologies.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mr. Matté

machias

They're still sporadically around Chicago, I can think of four intersections within 8 blocks of our home on the North Side that still have them. Some intersections have a mix of worded messages and LED pictograms on the same intersection.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: machias on August 20, 2020, 08:02:01 PM
They're still sporadically around Chicago, I can think of four intersections within 8 blocks of our home on the North Side that still have them. Some intersections have a mix of worded messages and LED pictograms on the same intersection.

What are the cross streets? I thought about looking at them on Street View.

Revive 755

EpicRoadways

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 20, 2020, 10:53:48 PM
Might still be some left in Burlington, Iowa

Evanston, Illinois still has a few.

Probably a few still in some of the other Chicago suburbs.
What's with the 'LEAVE CURB' wording in the first example? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

machias

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 20, 2020, 08:08:52 PM

Roscoe/Lincoln/Paulina is one intersection that has them. The WALK/DONT WALK is on the SE corner of Roscoe and Lincoln

Henry

Quote from: machias on August 23, 2020, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 20, 2020, 08:08:52 PM

Roscoe/Lincoln/Paulina is one intersection that has them. The WALK/DONT WALK is on the SE corner of Roscoe and Lincoln

Found it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ErmineNotyours

I-5 and N. 45th Street, Seattle.  Bonus: they're 3M louvered.  Since replaced with pictorial.

Flint1979

I'm sure Flint has some because I know of several extremely old traffic signals in Flint that I'm pretty sure include them.

Pink Jazz

Somewhat off-topic, but I actually remember when on airplanes the No Smoking/Fasten Seat Belt signs were words; I remember seeing them on Boeing 727s and Lockheed L-1011s.  I think America West/US Airways even had a few Boeing 757s with worded signs (although the vast majority of 757s have pictograms, and I have never seen a 767 or 777 with worded No Smoking/Fasten Seat Belt signs).  The illuminated lavatory signs made the switch later, with Airbus I think being the first to use pictograms for lavatory signs and Boeing later to follow suit.

STLmapboy

Watertown, CT has some. CT in general tends to have old signals.

10 minutes from my house, the main thoroughfare of Kirkwood had some, with really old/dim signals to boot. GSV doesn't show it yet, but they were upgraded in the past few months with black vertical TX-style signals on black poles with white electronic street signs.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

KCRoadFan

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 26, 2020, 05:23:48 PM

As far as the signals with the words go, I like the single-housing, three-line variant that's shown in the link above (the one with orange "DONT WALK" on the first two lines, and white "WALK" on the bottom line). I read somewhere that NYC used to have that model of signal from the mid-1980's up until about 2003; however, when we visited the city in 2004, I didn't see any of them, as the pictogram signals had taken over by then.

I also remember seeing that same signal in widespread use on a 2003 visit to Columbus, OH. (Looking at Street View recently, I can say that most of those are gone now in that city.)

What is the model/manufacturer name for that particular unit?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 27, 2020, 10:25:26 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 26, 2020, 05:23:48 PM

As far as the signals with the words go, I like the single-housing, three-line variant that's shown in the link above (the one with orange "DONT WALK" on the first two lines, and white "WALK" on the bottom line). I read somewhere that NYC used to have that model of signal from the mid-1980's up until about 2003; however, when we visited the city in 2004, I didn't see any of them, as the pictogram signals had taken over by then.

I also remember seeing that same signal in widespread use on a 2003 visit to Columbus, OH. (Looking at Street View recently, I can say that most of those are gone now in that city.)

What is the model/manufacturer name for that particular unit?

These were made by Winko-Matic.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 24, 2020, 08:23:38 PM
I-5 and N. 45th Street, Seattle.  Bonus: they're 3M louvered.  Since replaced with pictorial.

Ah yes, the person in the sidewalk is very reminscent of the scene that's growing in Seattle.  I live within a mile and a half of that intersection.
Take the road less traveled.

JoePCool14

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 26, 2020, 05:23:48 PMmain thoroughfare of Kirkwood had some, with really old/dim signals to boot. GSV doesn't show it yet, but they were upgraded in the past few months with black vertical TX-style signals on black poles with white electronic street signs.

Shortest ever mast arm?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadfro

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 01, 2020, 03:30:50 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 26, 2020, 05:23:48 PMmain thoroughfare of Kirkwood had some, with really old/dim signals to boot. GSV doesn't show it yet, but they were upgraded in the past few months with black vertical TX-style signals on black poles with white electronic street signs.

Shortest ever mast arm?

The eastbound direction of Jefferson Ave there previously had a similar small mast arm in August 2018, but by May 2019 that had been replaced with a single post-mounted signal. I'm guessing something happened to the original mast, but their replacement is an MUTCD violation since it's a through movement with only one signal head.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ari-s-drives

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.