News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which states' signals most closely represent your own?

Started by STLmapboy, August 29, 2020, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

I live in Missouri, which has 90% mast arms, black (sometimes yellow-backed) Durasigs and some Econolite poly buttonbacks, and a healthy amount of FYAs. I think the states of Kansas and Iowa most closely represent Missouri installs; they are both also 90% mast arm and use a lot of black and yellow-backed Durasigs (the latter common throughout the Midwest).

Which state is closest to yours in terms of signalization?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 29, 2020, 01:21:18 PM
I live in Missouri, which has 90% mast arms, black (sometimes yellow-backed) Durasigs and some Econolite poly buttonbacks, and a healthy amount of FYAs. I think the states of Kansas and Iowa most closely represent Missouri installs; they are both also 90% mast arm and use a lot of black and yellow-backed Durasigs (the latter common throughout the Midwest).

let me see if i'm on this right..

co state roads used to use this imo really ugly vertical - 45 degrees - horizontal things.. like:

______
    /
  /
/
|
|

co springs does a lot of span wires, which i find aesthetically ugly.. but there may be reasons beyond what i know.. most state roads are now span arms, at least in the places i go.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

STLmapboy

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 29, 2020, 01:31:31 PM

co state roads used to use this imo really ugly vertical - 45 degrees - horizontal things.. like:

______
    /
  /
/
|
|

co springs does a lot of span wires, which i find aesthetically ugly.. but there may be reasons beyond what i know.. most state roads are now span arms, at least in the places i go.

I've never seen that 45 degree design; do you have a link or a picture?

Also, the question for you would basically be what state's signals look the most like Colorado's.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US 89

From what I've observed, Colorado's traffic signals are quite similar to Nevada's both in terms of mast arm design and signal placement.

RoadsByArco

I don't think any state uses our signature horizontal signals... But I saw on some website that Tampa, FL did for their downtown, don't have a picture for it

Pink Jazz

Some areas of California use signals similar to Arizona.

roadman65

Quote from: radDFW on August 29, 2020, 10:41:25 PM
I don't think any state uses our signature horizontal signals... But I saw on some website that Tampa, FL did for their downtown, don't have a picture for it

New Mexico does.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

This used to be the norm in urban New Jersey but vertical signals seem to be more common in new installations

US 89

They're quite common in many parts of Florida, as well as in a few other states like Nebraska and Wisconsin. Oklahoma even has a few horizontal signals in downtown OKC.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on August 29, 2020, 10:18:49 PM
From what I've observed, Colorado's traffic signals are quite similar to Nevada's both in terms of mast arm design and signal placement.

One major difference is that Colorado has a lot more yellow signals, and they don't use backplates for pole or mast installs. Nevada is all black and uses backplates for all signals (or they do now...maybe not always).

The closest state to Colorado is probably Wyoming. They have a similar mix of black and yellow signals, backplates are only use overhead, and placement is always left and right sides (with some exceptions). But Colorado is more liberal with permissive phasing.

Quote from: US 89 on September 11, 2020, 04:56:38 PM

They're quite common in many parts of Florida, as well as in a few other states like Nebraska and Wisconsin. Oklahoma even has a few horizontal signals in downtown OKC.

Also very much the norm in the rarely-mentioned New Mexico.

jakeroot

This is my assessment of Washington. The state has fairly minimal requirements for signal placement and design, so individual cities are free to expand a bit beyond this. Ergo, I've touched on some cities and whatever states they might be closest to.

WSDOT: probably Oregon. Both tend to use either black or dark green signals, put all signals overhead, and tend to use a lot of protected phasing a bit needlessly. However, Oregon's new signal lenses are clear when not lit, whereas WSDOT uses colored lenses. Small but noticeable. Oregon was also slower to adopt the retroreflective border, but does use it now.

Spokane: Probably Colorado or Wyoming. Backplates only used overhead, generally black signals, and requirement for signals on the left and right sides for all approaches (with exceptions for T-junctions, for the "left" approach of the "T").
Federal Way: Nevada. Signal per lane, near-side signals on wider approaches, left and right-side signals for all approaches (except "yield on green" approaches), backplates on all signals, yellow retroreflective borders, etc, etc.
Bellevue: Any state that requires backplates for all signals but only a supplemental signal for left turn signals. Not sure if there is one.
Ellensburg: California, but only because of their propensity for curved mast arms and single overhead signals.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2020, 08:26:48 PM

One major difference is that Colorado has a lot more yellow signals, and they don't use backplates for pole or mast installs. Nevada is all black and uses backplates for all signals (or they do now...maybe not always).

The closest state to Colorado is probably Wyoming. They have a similar mix of black and yellow signals, backplates are only use overhead, and placement is always left and right sides (with some exceptions). But Colorado is more liberal with permissive phasing.

Wyoming is also big into curved mast arms though, which aren’t all that common in Colorado (I’ve only seen them in a few Denver suburb areas). This is probably just a difference in opinion, but I feel like the shape of the mast arm contributes more to what a signal looks like overall than whether the side mounts have backplates. Just my 2¢.

Quote from: US 89 on September 11, 2020, 04:56:38 PM

Also very much the norm in the rarely-mentioned New Mexico.

Would have mentioned it if roadman65 hadn’t already. Believe it or not, that’s actually the primary state I associate horizontal signals with - I have family down in ABQ and we’d visit them fairly often when I was younger, so I noticed the “weird sideways lights” there from an early age. Even today I think the standard ABQ signal is my all-time favorite design.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on September 12, 2020, 10:18:44 AM

Wyoming is also big into curved mast arms though, which aren't all that common in Colorado (I've only seen them in a few Denver suburb areas). This is probably just a difference in opinion, but I feel like the shape of the mast arm contributes more to what a signal looks like overall than whether the side mounts have backplates. Just my 2¢.

Everything plays a role. I don't think there's one thing over another. To me, the signals and their placement are the big differentiators, but that may not be the case for everyone.

Colorado Springs uses curved mast arms exclusively (assuming wire span isn't used).

Quote from: US 89 on September 12, 2020, 10:18:44 AM
Would have mentioned it if roadman65 hadn't already. Believe it or not, that's actually the primary state I associate horizontal signals with - I have family down in ABQ and we'd visit them fairly often when I was younger, so I noticed the "weird sideways lights"  there from an early age. Even today I think the standard ABQ signal is my all-time favorite design.

I've always thought NM had some very clean installs. Their placement is overall quite good, and they seem to use good phasing at most intersections. The signals themselves seem quite clean too (no or few messy installs or mismatched signals).

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 29, 2020, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 29, 2020, 01:31:31 PM

______
    /
  /
/
|
|

I've never seen that 45 degree design; do you have a link or a picture?

Also, the question for you would basically be what state's signals look the most like Colorado's.

might have to zoom in a smidge to see it. this is longmont co
https://goo.gl/maps/UoNjxM6KyZQtnmoe6
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

EpicRoadways

Going solely off of signal design, North Dakota signals were historically carbon copies of Minnesota signals up until about the 1980s. Nowadays North Dakota has a more typical monotube mast-arm design more in-line with what states like Illinois and Wisconsin are installing.

ND Example
MN Example

One other fun example of "carbon copy" signal designs involves the city of Cedar Rapids, IA, which has signal trusses that are clearly identical to many modern Minnesota signals.
Cedar Rapids, IA Example (NOT statewide practice, just thought I'd point it out)
MN Example

roadman65

Florida is very ambiguous now as different parts of the state have their own style of either mast arms or span wires.

Puerto Rico, though not an official state, but for the sake of this thread might as well be, has some installations similar to the traditional Florida signals were prior to 2000. PR uses concrete strain poles with black signal heads like the classic assemblies that used to be the norm in the late 20th Century.

Back in 1976 though, Puerto Rico then had signals similar to NJ with many truss style arms the same way as most of the Garden State had in that decade.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.