News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Dutch Bike Signals

Started by US71, May 20, 2011, 08:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Cyclist tunnels in the Netherlands generally have a 15 ft wide roadway plus a sidewalk, making the entire tunnel 20 - 25 feet wide easily. They are usually also well-lit and have long ramps.

examples;

realjd

Americans are afraid of pedestrian and bike tunnels in my experience. People will often call them "rape tunnels". They almost ripped out the new one in Viera, FL near the high school to allow students to cross the busy street because parents thought it would attract kidnappers. Talk about poor risk assessment. They're more worried about their teenagers being kidnapped in the short tunnel right in front of the school than they are about them getting hit by a car crossing the street.

Chris

Social safety in tunnels is a major issue in the Netherlands as well. It all begins with the proper design; you need to be able to look through the entire tunnel from the beginning, the tunnel section must not be too long, nor in a long curve (my first one is a bad example), well-lit and also the cladding must be bright. It helps if the police does occasional surveillance as well, I often see motorcycle cops driving through cyclist tunnels at night.

Duke87

If a tunnel is too much of a hideout for sketchy characters, how about a bridge instead?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Bridges are known to be home to trolls. (They're also less convenient, since you go up then down; in a tunnel you get the speed boost first. And they need to be higher than a tunnel is low to clear trucks.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zmapper

One of the small things I noticed when I was looking around the Netherlands with Google Streetview is that if a road goes into a tunnel and there is a cycle path next to it, the cycle path doesn't make such a vertical change. So if the road needs 16' of clearance and the cycle path needs 10', the road goes down 16' feet and the path only makes a vertical change of 10'. Make sense?

NE2

I've seen this on some older railroad grade separations in the US - the sidewalk will not go down as much as the road. Here's one in Jacksonville where the sidewalk stays with the road but an old streetcar route in the middle is higher: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.329356,-81.676628&spn=0.00401,0.0103&z=18&layer=c&cbll=30.329455,-81.676608&panoid=dJGttQPFrFM1bW-yajWwNQ&cbp=12,172.48,,0,-5.44
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

Quote from: Zmapper on May 25, 2011, 12:41:47 AM
One of the small things I noticed when I was looking around the Netherlands with Google Streetview is that if a road goes into a tunnel and there is a cycle path next to it, the cycle path doesn't make such a vertical change. So if the road needs 16' of clearance and the cycle path needs 10', the road goes down 16' feet and the path only makes a vertical change of 10'. Make sense?

Yep!

N36-25 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

roadfro

^ That seems kinda odd to me. Ultimately, though, I imagine it helps to maintain the vehicle/bicycle separation. It also means possibly means less earthwork during construction (but also more in retaining walls). Any particular reason why the paths are constructed this way?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Also less effort for bicyclists to go up a hill on the way out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

I imagine it's two-part....vehicles (especially small trucks) need more clearance, and as Scott indicated, bicyclists are more sensitive to grade changes.

Chris

Yep, the main reason is that cyclists will need less effort to scale the grades in these tunnels. It's more comfortable. There are guidelines in the Netherlands about how long a cyclist ramp may be and what grades it should have. If it's too long, they need to include a flat section before the second climb commences, though you won't find that many of those. Keep in mind there are also numerous young children and senior citizens using a bicycle in the Netherlands, that's why you cannot just design such things for fit adults only.

Here's an example of such a grade broken into two sections:

N302-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.