News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Intersections that have signals that should not.

Started by roadman65, October 22, 2011, 09:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

How about naming an intersection that is signalized that you think should not be, but is.  One that could be turned into a right in and right out if it is a small side street, or simply reconfiguring an intersection or something else.  Even, for political reasoning where you feel that the light was unjustly placed.

In Orlando, FL John Young Parkway and Clear Way the signal is definetly not needed there.  There is not enough traffic here to warrant its existence. Clear Way is a small side street off of John Young Parkwaylocated just feet away from the major intersection of John Young Parkway and LB McCleod Road.  Clear Way serves a subdivision that also has access to and from LB McCleod as well around the corner from John Young Parkway.  There is hardly enough traffic entering or leaving this development.  It could be turned into a right in and out. Traffic from that neighborhood  for SB John Young could exit onto LB McCleod  or turn NB on John Young and U Turn a little ways up as well.  SB John Young to Clear Way could either U Turn  at LB McCleod and return 100 feet or turn left on LB McCleod and enter from the other side. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rick1962

Sheridan Rd. & Skelly Dr. in Tulsa. Sheridan is a N-S arterial, and Skelly Dr. is the frontage road for I-44, which crosses Sheridan diagonally. The frontage road runs one-way southwest from Sheridan along the north side of I-44, and does not extend east of Sheridan at this point. Why the city felt the need to put a traffic signal, with left turn arrow on northbound Sheridan, is beyond me, as very little traffic turns left there.

roadfro

I know of one in Reno that I'm still baffled by. Summit Ridge Dr & Sky Mountain Dr. Despite the look from the aerial photo, this intersection is isolated from much of surroundings as it is atop a hilly area (McCarran Blvd/SR 659 to the west is running downhill at 6% grade in this area). The intersection I believe had a 4-way stop as much as 8 years ago. Given the traffic volumes, I think a roundabout would've been a better solution. The only reason I think they didn't put one in is that there are commercial properties nearby that would use this intersection (a Home Depot to the west, a 24-Hour Fitness to the north, and a now-closed Super K-Mart right at the corner) that it may not have been possible to design a roundabout that could easily accommodate trucks within the existing right of way.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

NW side of Columbus: intersection of Dublin Rd, Scioto Darby Creek Rd*, and Dinsmore Castle Dr.  Dublin Rd is the main through road, occupying the east and south legs of the intersection**. Scioto Darby Creek Rd occupies the west leg of the intersection, leading to Hilliard.  Dinsmore Castle Dr is the main entrance to a residential subdivision, occupying the north leg.

The intersection is signalized.  When traffic is light, the signal stays red in all directions until a car comes to trigger a green for one leg.  When traffic is moderate, the intersection functions adequately. 

I think this location would be perfect for a roundabout.  At the levels of traffic involved, it would function at least as well as a signal in peak (moderate) traffic, and much better than a signal when there's very little traffic.  Plus, lower operating costs for the city, and no colored light shining at people's bedroom windows all night.

* Signed as Scioto & Darby Creek Rd by Franklin County, Scioto Darby Rd by City of Hilliard, and Scioto Darby Creek Rd by City of Columbus.

** Actually, the east leg of the intersection is Scioto Darby Creek Rd for about ¼ mile, then resumes Dublin Rd.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ftballfan

60th Ave and Wing St in Kentwood. Wing St dead ends to the south and is very lightly used to the north. Maybe there are long-range plans for an M-6 interchange there?? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.854445,-85.590684&spn=0.002863,0.006866&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

flowmotion

I grew up in Minneapolis, and I could have named 50 different signals in that town which were completely pointless.

When I was a kid, my parents even requested that a signal be installed at a minor intersection nearby our house. No problem, the city said. Years later, when I got my drivers license, I would curse them every time I got stuck at that stupid red light with not a car for blocks.

Zmapper

In Fort Collins, Shields and Willox didn't really need a signal. A gap in traffic is easy enough to find at that intersection.

Brandon

Most every f-ing shopping center entrance out there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2011, 02:15:20 PM

I don't know.  While I might be able to think of a couple of shopping centers that have unnecessary signals, the majority of shopping centers I've seen should probably have the signals they do...
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

formulanone

After Hurricane Wilma knocked out power and traffic signals in South Florida for about 10 days, I was amazed how many normally busy intersections operated more smoothly and had less traffic back-up all around when they became four-way stops.

The problem is that many people get impatient at four-way stops with lots of traffic, and take on a "me first" attitude, instead of yielding to the right.

That, and most city folk had never dealt with a flashing yellow light.

roadman65

Orange Blossom Trail and the Berkshire Club Apartments near Orlando, FL has one now that was erected a few weeks ago.  To me, it screws up traffic more than ever on OBT as its timing is very off.  A simple right in and out would do, but Florida loves to install signals at close intervals and with Wal Mart flipping the bill (a new Wal Mart Neighborhood Store opened on the corner there) who could refuse.  Orange County needs to adjust this new signal a little more if its going to stay. 

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Wilson Ave (M-11) and Burton St in Walker, MI. Burton is a dead end to the east and a 25 mph curvy residential street to the west. Between I-196 and M-45, if there is an intersection on Wilson that deserves a light, it would be O'Brien Rd, being as O'Brien is often used as a shortcut to downtown Grand Rapids and has a decent speed limit (45 mph IIRC)

Chicagosuburban

The entrances of the government buildings off of County Farm Rd in Wheaton, IL.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

kphoger

Quote from: Chicagosuburban on December 18, 2011, 04:55:54 PM
The entrances of the government buildings off of County Farm Rd in Wheaton, IL.

I used to work at that Target - my first job, in fact.  Thanks for bringing back memories, and of catching the bus from the government offices in a snowstorm after work!

While I'm thinking back on the Chicago area, I have an intersection that totally doesn't need a stoplight:  Thatcher Ave & Chicago Ave in River Forest.  One of the few red lights I've ever run on purpose, and regularly.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

WillWeaverRVA

The first intersection one encounters on US 301 crossing into Virginia from North Carolina is signalized. It's for a dead end road.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

realjd

In much of the country, there will be full stop lights at entrances/exits to shopping centers, often just past a main intersection. This will result in an unnecessary cluster of up to 5 signals, two on either side of the intersection. It always seem to really knot up traffic. I like the fact that where I live now, they usually don't do that. They block direct left turns out of the shopping centers and make left turning traffic turn right, then make a U turn either at the light at the intersection or in supplementary U-turn/left turn lanes prior to the intersection. Traffic seems to flow much better with this design.

74/171FAN

Bollingbrook St and 3rd St in Petersburg(where you could probably debate that there are more but this is the most obvious).  It made sense before Adams St was constructed to cut through to Washington and Wythe Streets as part of the new MLK bridge years ago but now the only traffic at that intersection on 3rd St comes from Pocahontas Island, which due to the 2-lane connection to US1/301 is not very much.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Yeah, and it's timed at that. If I go through town on my way home from work at night (something I did a lot recently when I-95 was being repaved) the light will turn red from Bollingbrook and no traffic will come from 3rd. Now that Bank has been two-wayed I usually take it if I go that way.

Another Petersburg light I could make a decent case for removing: Sycamore St and Graham Rd. Now that the hospital is no longer at that intersection, there's not much traffic there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Now that I think about it VA 36(Washington St) and Lakemont Dr should not have a traffic light.  I never see any traffic coming from Lakemont.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Also Crater (US 301) and Myrick Ave/Toll Gate Lane. This is based off the Crater/Graham signal about 1/10 mile north. When the Crater/Graham cycle is on the green arrow for Crater northbound, the Crater/Toll Gate/Myrick signal is green on the side streets, which, like Lakemont, rarely have traffic. It's frustrating, especially since it's part of my commute to and from work, so it snags me nearly every day. One time I ran it with a Petersburg cop sitting in the other direction (I didn't realize either circumstance until I was through the intersection) and he didn't come after me. Granted, this was when I drove a pickup truck and not a sports car, so I doubt I'd be so lucky again.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2011, 02:15:20 PM

That is how it is in Florida.  Yet, an intersection that is in dyer need of a signal will not get one until a series of fatal accidents occur.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.