News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Passing Lane......Who has the Right Of Way

Started by ghYHZ, October 30, 2011, 09:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Here (Nova Scotia) the right lane is the travel lane and you "Keep Right Except To Pass" . If passing, you are supposed to be able to complete your pass before the passing lane ends (the last 100M or so is a solid line) as traffic in the travel lane has the right of way. In other jurisdictions.......it's "Slower Traffic Keep Right"  so who has the right of way there at the end of a passing lane?

Newfoundland even carries this further by painting "Yield"  across the end of the passing lane.

Duke87

Odd. I always thought that at any case where you had two lanes merging into one, whichever car is further forward had the right of way.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Duke87 on October 30, 2011, 10:04:30 AM
Odd. I always thought that at any case where you had two lanes merging into one, whichever car is further forward had the right of way.

And that's the way it "should"  work here too........just complete your pass before the lane ends as you are passing on a solid line and you are the car further forward. 

corco

It's which ever lane ends on the lane ends fork sign- usually in the US (at least where I've driven), the right lane ends, so the passing lane has the right of way.

Sometimes the left lane ends, so the travel lane has right of way,  but I've noticed that tends to only occur when passing lanes end at or near a right curve.

Interesting that in NS the travel lane still has right of way even though that's the lane that's ending.

I believe per the US MUTCD "Keep right except to pass" and "Slower traffic keep right" are allowed to be used interchangeably and have exactly the same meaning.

hbelkins

Kentucky uses both "KRETP" and "STKR" and in my interpretation, they have different meanings.

"KRETP" means  you must (shall) stay in the right lane unless you are overtaking and passing another vehicle.

"STKR" means that you must (shall) move to the right lane if you are in the left lane and a faster vehicle is coming up behind you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: corco on October 30, 2011, 10:31:46 AM
Sometimes the left lane ends, so the travel lane has right of way,  but I've noticed that tends to only occur when passing lanes end at or near a right curve.

US 1 has an alternating 3-lane section between Petersburg, and South Hill, VA where a left lane will be used northbound for a ways, then southbound, and back and forth. Each time the left lane ends but I believe has the right of way. I'll check it out in the field sometime this week.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

Assuming there aren't any obscure state laws that mention otherwise out there, typically the lane that does NOT end is the one that has the right-of-way.

Takumi

Now that I think about it, you're right. I remember being in the left lane where it ended and waiting for vehicles to go by so I could keep going.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: froggie on October 30, 2011, 10:47:43 AM
Assuming there aren't any obscure state laws that mention otherwise out there, typically the lane that does NOT end is the one that has the right-of-way.

Unless the guy in the other lane floors it  :-|
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

corco

QuoteUnless the guy in the other lane floors it  

If I'm in the right lane and I see somebody coming up behind in the left lane as the lane is ending (where a pass is impossible before the lane ends without me slamming my brakes)- I'll always throw on my left blinker and start to move left. 90% of the time they get the hint

I'd advise against doing that in certain foreign countries- namely Mexico, as a left blinker can be an invitation to pass, but in the US people tend to think of it as "I'm moving over, don't even think about passing me"

Brandon

Quote from: corco on October 31, 2011, 01:46:32 AM

If I'm in the right lane and I see somebody coming up behind in the left lane as the lane is ending (where a pass is impossible before the lane ends without me slamming my brakes)- I'll always throw on my left blinker and start to move left. 90% of the time they get the hint

I'd advise against doing that in certain foreign countries- namely Mexico Chicago, as a left blinker can be an invitation to pass, but in the US people tend to think of it as "I'm moving over, don't even think about passing me"

Fixed it for you.  Here, they take a left blinker as an invitation to cut you off.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

The laws of inertia are not always in line with case law.

corco

Quote from: Brandon on October 31, 2011, 06:56:48 AM

I'd advise against doing that in certain foreign countries- namely Mexico Chicago, as a left blinker can be an invitation to pass, but in the US people tend to think of it as "I'm moving over, don't even think about passing me"

Fixed it for you.  Here, they take a left blinker as an invitation to cut you off.
How many rural passing lanes are there in Chicago? I feel like people tend to drive more civilly once they get out of the city.

Brandon

Quote from: corco on October 31, 2011, 08:39:24 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 31, 2011, 06:56:48 AM

Fixed it for you.  Here, they take a left blinker as an invitation to cut you off.
How many rural passing lanes are there in Chicago? I feel like people tend to drive more civilly once they get out of the city.

There's enough lane drops as it is.  Then there's the terms "Chicago driver" and "FIB"* when you get out of Chicago to describe them.

*Fucking Illinois Bastard.  Term used by Cheeseheads to describe Chicago driving.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

A bigger right-of-way question for passing lanes:

Imagine you're on a downhill section.  Your direction of travel has one lane, bounded by a broken yellow line.  The opposing direction of travel has an additional passign lane, bounded by a solid yellow line.  It is therfore permitted that traffic from either direction may use the center lane, but that traffic in your direction of travel must do so only if there is no oncoming traffic.

So let's say you are behind a slow vehicle and want to pass.  There is a car coming toward you, but he is politely staying in the far right lane.  So the center lane is free of oncoming traffic.  Is it OK to pass down the middle?  Technically there is oncoming traffic, but not in the lane you intend to use.

I encouter this situation every so often while driving US-400 from Wichita to Missouri.  I have no problem going down the center lane, even if it means I pass a car going the other way.  My wife, OTOH, freaks out.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2011, 12:10:59 PMIs it OK to pass down the middle?  Technically there is oncoming traffic, but not in the lane you intend to use.

I encouter this situation every so often while driving US-400 from Wichita to Missouri.  I have no problem going down the center lane, even if it means I pass a car going the other way.  My wife, OTOH, freaks out.

I do that on occasion.  I had thought that I had to give right-of-way only when the oncoming traffic is in the middle lane.

what's really fun is when someone moves into the middle lane to pass... and then a third vehicle moves into the left lane (the right climbing lane for opposing vehicles) to pass both!  

I have no idea if that is legal or not.  I tend to think to myself "that can't possibly be legal!" but I actually do not know for sure. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2011, 12:10:59 PM
So let's say you are behind a slow vehicle and want to pass.  There is a car coming toward you, but he is politely staying in the far right lane.  So the center lane is free of oncoming traffic.  Is it OK to pass down the middle?  Technically there is oncoming traffic, but not in the lane you intend to use.

In Kansas (and other UVC states) this appears to be illegal:
Quote from: http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/statute/008_000_0000_chapter/008_015_0000_article/008_015_0018_section/008_015_0018_k/unless such left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic
Not unless the lane you're entering is free of oncoming traffic, but unless the entire left side is.

As for Mr. Steel's situation, this seems to be legal.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

surferdude

Per PA Regs:

§ 3301. Driving on right side of roadway.
(a) General rule.--Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a
vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway
except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle
proceeding in the same direction where permitted by the rules
governing such movement.
(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to
drive to the left of the center of the roadway, provided the
driver yields the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in
the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the
roadway within such distance as to constitute a hazard.
(3) When and where official traffic-control devices are
in place designating a lane or lanes to the left side of the
center of the roadway for the movement indicated by the
devices.
(4) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(5) When making a left turn as provided in sections 3322
(relating to vehicle turning left) and 3331 (relating to
required position and method of turning).
(b) Vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed.--Upon all
roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of
traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then
existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available
for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb
or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when
preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into an alley,
private road or driveway. This subsection does not apply to a
driver who must necessarily drive in a lane other than the
right-hand lane to continue on his intended route.
Cross References. Section 3301 is referred to in sections
3306, 3307, 3505 of this title.
§ 3302. Meeting vehicle proceeding in opposite direction.
Drivers of vehicles proceeding in opposite directions shall
pass each other to the right and, upon roadways having width for
not more than one line of traffic in each direction, each driver
shall give to the other at least one-half of the main-traveled
portion of the roadway as nearly as possible.
Cross References. Section 3302 is referred to in sections
1535, 3326, 3327 of this title.
§ 3303. Overtaking vehicle on the left.
(a) General rule.--The following rules shall govern the
overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same
direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions and special
rules stated in this chapter:
(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle
proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of
the other vehicle at a safe distance and shall stay to the
left of the other vehicle until safely clear of the overtaken
vehicle.
(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is
permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall not
increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by
the overtaking vehicle and shall give way to the right in
favor of the overtaking vehicle on suitable signal.
(b) Suitable signal defined.--Suitable signal for purposes
of subsection (a)(2) shall be as follows:
(1) At all times when head lamps are required to be
lighted according to section 4302 (relating to the period for
requiring lighted lamps), an audible signal or the
intermittent flashing of low and high beams except that the
use of high beams shall not be permitted when a vehicle is
approaching from the opposite direction within 500 feet.
(2) At all other times, an audible signal.
Cross References. Section 3303 is referred to in sections
§ 3304. Overtaking vehicle on the right.
(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and
pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the
following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to
make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made
by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.
(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of
sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving
lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken
vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by
driving off the roadway.
(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section
shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.
Cross References. Section 3304 is referred to in sections
§ 3305. Limitations on overtaking on the left.
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center or
marked center line of the roadway in overtaking and passing
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left
side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a
sufficient distance ahead to permit the overtaking and passing
to be completely made without interfering with the operation of
any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any
vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must
return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable
and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a
lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite
direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching
vehicle.
Cross References. Section 3305 is referred to in sections
1535, 1603, 3326, 3327 of this title.
§ 3306. Limitations on driving on left side of roadway.
(a) General rule.--No vehicle shall be driven on the left
side of the roadway under any of the following conditions:
(1) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a
curve in the highway where the driver's view is obstructed
within such distance as to create a hazard in the event
another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.
(2) When approaching within 100 feet of or traversing
any intersection or railroad grade crossing, unless otherwise
indicated by official traffic-control devices.
(3) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within
100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.
(b) Application of section.--This section does not apply
under the conditions described in section 3301(a)(2),(3),(4) and
(5) (relating to driving on right side of roadway).
Cross References. Section 3306 is referred to in sections
1535, 1603, 3326, 3327, 6506 of this title.
§ 3307. No-passing zones.
(a) Establishment and marking.--The department and local
authorities may determine those portions of any highway under
their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or
driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially
hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the
roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when
the signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an
ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey
the directions of the signs or markings. Signs shall be placed
to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.
(b) Compliance by drivers.--Where signs and markings are in
place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection
(a), no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the
roadway within the no-passing zone or on the left side of any
pavement striping designed to mark a no-passing zone throughout
its length.
(c) Application of section.--This section does not apply
under the conditions described in section 3301(a)(2) and (5)
(relating to driving on right side of roadway).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

The High Plains Traveler

I've always thought that when a passing lane begins, the lane markings should direct traffic into the right lane. Then, the lane that ends should be the left lane, with suitable warnings posted on both sides of the road. This would warn passing traffic that they need to complete the pass before the lane ends. California is the only state I can think of that comes close to this.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

empirestate

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2011, 10:42:07 AM
Kentucky uses both "KRETP" and "STKR" and in my interpretation, they have different meanings.

"KRETP" means  you must (shall) stay in the right lane unless you are overtaking and passing another vehicle.

"STKR" means that you must (shall) move to the right lane if you are in the left lane and a faster vehicle is coming up behind you.

Agreed with the two different meanings, and usage in states like NY and CT supports this. KRETP is used on freeways to inform motorists they must stay in the right lane unless overtaking. STKR is used when there is a slow-vehicle climbing lane ("crawler" lane or "truck" lane) in the right-most position, the implication being that this lane doesn't count as the right-hand travel lane, and so doesn't need to be moved into unless you're in an unusually slow vehicle.

The latter does cause issues on NY 17, I've noticed...because the right lane tends to become the crawler lane, then the left lane becomes the right lane, and there will be a new passing lane to the left of the old left lane.

And of course, in CT the crawler lane is ALWAYS used ONLY for passing.

JREwing78

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2011, 12:10:59 PM

I encouter this situation every so often while driving US-400 from Wichita to Missouri.  I have no problem going down the center lane, even if it means I pass a car going the other way.  My wife, OTOH, freaks out.

At least in Michigan and Wisconsin (the two places I've encountered passing lanes in significant numbers), this practice is forbidden. Both opposing lanes must be clear before you conduct a pass. There's even big signs saying so (even if they're not crystal-clear to some).

hbelkins

Kentucky's signage says "pass only if center lane is clear," or something to that effect.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The High Plains Traveler

Arizona has solved the problem by simply not allowing vehicles in the direction of travel opposite to the passing lane to use it at all. There is a solid double line the entire length of a passing lane.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.