News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interchanges named after people.

Started by roadman65, November 07, 2011, 06:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was reading that in Ohio, that near former actor Robert Urich's home town in the Buckeye State has an interchange named in his honor.  I do not know what interstate its on, but I know its true.

On the Florida Turnpike near Fort Lauderdale there is a MacArthur interchange.

I am guessing there are many others, maybe not on the map, but legislatively.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on November 07, 2011, 06:19:39 PM
I was reading that in Ohio, that near former actor Robert Urich's home town in the Buckeye State has an interchange named in his honor.  I do not know what interstate its on, but I know its true.

I am guessing there are many others, maybe not on the map, but legislatively.

Georgia has tons of them. So does Florida. the SR202 overpass over SR A1A is ghe George Whatley memorial overpass.  Apparently he was instumental in having SR 202( aka JTB, Butler Blvd) constucted.  And then tragically he and  his wife died at the intersection at the end of the freeway.. BTW it used to be a stop sign.  I dont kn ow any more of the specifics in FL but there are a few

PAHighways

Pennsylvania has quite a few, named mostly after troopers killed in the line of duty.  All of the interchanges on Turnpike 43 north of I-70 are named for fallen soldiers from nearby towns.

formulanone

Seems every other interchange in North Carolina is named for someone.

Quote from: roadman65

While the name J.N.McArthur (MacArthur?...can't remember which) was used for a while, the name hasn't appeared on the BGSs for years. My guess was that he owned the land...

Quillz

California has a number of interchanges named for police officers killed in the line of duty, whether via violence or disasters.

For example, the I-5/CA-14 interchange, commonly known as the Newhall Pass, is officially the Clarence Wayne Dean Memorial Interchange. Dean was riding his motorcycle early in the January 1994 morning when the Northridge Earthquake struck, and he couldn't stop his motorcycle in time to keep from falling off the (destroyed) flyover ramp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.