News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Any service signs that still use a brand's old logo(s)?

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 07, 2012, 09:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDOTFanFB

Do you know of any service signs which still include old logos for a particular brand (or brands)?

In Michigan, on I-75 north, there is/was a service sign for exit 34 that had Subway's and Dunkin Donuts' old logos: http://goo.gl/maps/EXLLQ. I believe it may have been replaced due to the exit 34 reconstruction.

And in Ohio, these three service signs used to have Comfort Inn's old logo, but have been replaced according to Street View, so here's pre-replacement photos all taken from Steve's site (the first was on I-71 south, the second and third were on I-77):

Do you know of any service signs also like this?

Takumi

I-95 northbound in Hanover County, VA. Old Pizza Hut logo.

The most interesting one of these I've ever seen is no longer there. At my local I-95 exit (54), there was an Amoco that, of course, changed to BP in 2002, and initially reflected this on the service sign, but a few years after that, they changed the logo on the sign back to Amoco! It was finally changed to "BP with Amoco Fuels" by the time GMSV came through there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I've seen a number of them for Subway and also Sheetz.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Central Avenue

Old Pizza Hut logo on I-75 southbound in Kentucky:

Old Popeyes logo on I-40/I-75 eastbound in Tennessee, though as a friend of mine pointed out, this one isn't especially rare, as Popeyes has pretty much never bothered to update old signage.

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Scott5114

That first set of signs also has old Days Inn and Holiday Inn logos.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

msubulldog

On US 82 in Columbus, MS, at least one service sign features the old Chevron logo. At the other end of the spectrum, I have yet to see a "BP with Invigorate" logo when they still have "BP Amoco Fuels" logos in place in a couple of Southern states. I also remember a service sign on I-10 in LA between Lafeyette and Lake Charles featuring an Exxon logo that resembles the corporate ExxonMobil logo (without the interlocking x's).
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

MDOTFanFB

Well, pretty soon, it looks like we have to add Wendy's to this list, since they announced today they changed their logo. Sorry if this was off-topic.

Kacie Jane

agentsteel53

yay, a variant on Comic Sans for the text.  how imaginative.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

That's a variant on Comic Sans in the same way that a 2007 Oklahoma route shield is a variant on a 1926 U.S. route shield–they can both be categorized as "handwriting fonts", but the similarities end there.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 07, 2012, 09:14:54 PM

It also has the old Super 8 (Motel) and Motel 6 logos.  That first set is a goldmine of old hotel chain logos.  The only ones that are current are Best Western, Knights Inn, and Quality Inn.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

thenetwork

PurdueBill

As the person who took the photos at the start of this thread, I have that smug, satisfied feeling reading that the pics were worthwhile!  :D

I remember seeing old "shield" BP logos for a long time on a couple blue signs in Indiana and wish I'd taken pictures of them--but I guess it would only work if the pictures were dated to verify that the logo was outdated.

It will be interesting to see if and how fast logos for Wendy's and Arby's change on blue signs.  I wonder if they will only change on blue signs for locations that update the logo at the restaurant?

kphoger

I will personally miss both signs when they go bye bye.  I like the older styling of both Arby's and Wendy's signs–I'll especially miss the gigantic Arby's signs you sometimes see.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I doubt the gigantic Arby's signs are going away. They are already rare and new ones haven't been put up in years, but I don't think Arby's is actively taking them down, or has any interest in doing so. They're not on every store because that makes them a novelty; it works better that way.

PurdueBill

I live not too far away from Arby's No. 3 and if they were to topple the famous hat sign, a lot of people would be very unhappy.  It's a landmark and a classic. 

I'm not a fan of either Wendy's or Arby's new logos.  The old ones were better in both cases, in my opinion.

oldblue910

You still find the old Hardee's logo fairly regularly in some parts of the country.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

Scott5114

The new Arby's logo is simply poorly executed.

The new Wendy's logo doesn't have the charm or brand equity of the old one, but it is pretty well-executed, at least, better than the old one, in that regard. I can see myself getting used to it after awhile.

Central Avenue

Agreed about the Arby's logo. The type is thoroughly unappealing and the icon itself is now full of unnecessary shiny 3D crap.

I quite like the new Wendy's logo, though. The old one was a sort of strange block with "Old-Fashioned Hamburgers" and "Quality is our Recipe" stuck everywhere. The new one strips it down a lot, and while it loses a lot of its character in the process, I think it adds a lot of versatility.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

planxtymcgillicuddy

Service sign utilizing old Hooters and Circle K logos on I-77 near Mooresville, NC
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

ilpt4u

The old Pizza Hut logo shown in this thread from 2012...well YUM Brands has gone back to using that logo, once again. Who knows for how long

Truvelo

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 14, 2012, 01:51:35 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 07, 2012, 09:14:54 PM

It also has the old Super 8 (Motel) and Motel 6 logos.  That first set is a goldmine of old hotel chain logos.  The only ones that are current are Best Western, Knights Inn, and Quality Inn.

Since that post was made Best Western has changed its logo. Knights Inn also has a new logo but it may be too soon to see it appear on signs. That leaves just Quality Inn.
Speed limits limit life

lepidopteran

There's a sign on I-95 for the MD-212 (Beltsville, Calverton) exit that lists both the "A" and "B" services.  Not only is there a Wendy's on both sides, but one has the old logo and one has the new.  Note: McD's is on both sides as well.  As is Taco Bell, though one side is a KFC combination.
https://goo.gl/maps/KBFkvAKJKw8MCDMb6

roadman

Now that the name has been officially changed to Dunkin's, nearly all the DD logos on highways in New England are out of date.  The irony is that, on most these logos, the word Dunkin', which is pink, has all but completely faded, but the word Donuts, which is brown, is still legible.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TEG24601

In my travels, Subway, Burger King, BP/Ammoco, Quality/Comfort/Clarion/Sleep, Safeway, and Dairy Queen are usually the ones I see with out-of-date signs.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.