Old highway alignment at I-35/Hester’s Crossing in Round Rock?

Started by thisdj78, August 06, 2019, 07:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

Just curious, I passed by this decaying section of asphalt and was wondering if it's an old alignment or an old temporary detour alignment for past construction?

https://goo.gl/maps/uiCZ6qNAxc2jpcMg6

https://goo.gl/maps/mNi3MUgJC1Ra9kDA8

Echostatic

Looking at historic aerial images shows that the stretch of concrete was built in the early 80s and was used as a parking lot for around 6 years. No clue why there would be a parking lot between the highway and the frontage road, but that's what it was.
Travelled in part or in full.

thisdj78

Quote from: Echostatic on August 06, 2019, 07:25:36 PM
Looking at historic aerial images shows that the stretch of concrete was built in the early 80s and was used as a parking lot for around 6 years. No clue why there would be a parking lot between the highway and the frontage road, but that's what it was.

Sounds like it could have been a Park & Ride for commuters

djlynch

The idea of providing parking lots for car pools to meet sounds very Austin in the 80s to me. I think I remember a couple other random "park and ride" lots with no transit service.

Chris

This 1995 image in Google Earth indeed suggests it was a carpool parking lot.

Are these uncommon in the U.S.? They are pretty common in a number of European countries, you'd think these would also be common in the U.S. due to the implementation HOV lanes (which hardly exist in Europe). Though Austin doesn't seem to have HOV lanes, right?

thisdj78

Quote from: Chris on August 11, 2019, 04:08:05 AM
This 1995 image in Google Earth indeed suggests it was a carpool parking lot.

Are these uncommon in the U.S.? They are pretty common in a number of European countries, you'd think these would also be common in the U.S. due to the implementation HOV lanes (which hardly exist in Europe). Though Austin doesn't seem to have HOV lanes, right?

Yes they are pretty common in cities here. But no, Austin doesn't have on HOV on this particular highway.

Echostatic

Quote from: thisdj78 on August 11, 2019, 10:17:46 AM
But no, Austin doesn't have on HOV on this particular highway.
Austin doesn't have HOV lanes on any highways. We've got tolled express lanes on plenty of highways, and many more under construction, but no HOV lanes.
Travelled in part or in full.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.