News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 50/301(Chesapeake Bay Bridge)

Started by 74/171FAN, June 18, 2009, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Quote from: hbelkins on January 19, 2020, 03:34:17 PM
^^^

Don't they lock the gates on the entrance to the US 301 rest area when it closes, and it closes up at a very early hour, like 5 or 6 p.m.?
I believe so.  I think it's open 10am-5pm or something really short.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

SteveG1988

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 22, 2020, 06:35:15 PM
^^^

Don't they lock the gates on the entrance to the US 301 rest area when it closes, and it closes up at a very early hour, like 5 or 6 p.m.?

I was not aware of this, and this sucks.

I did note one error in my prior statement, There are no major truck stop chains in DE....once you turn off 95 to get onto DE1/US301. Technically you got the T/A and Flying J right over the state line in Elkton MD, so i could consider that serving DE truck traffic.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 03, 2020, 09:00:29 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on January 22, 2020, 06:35:15 PM
^^^

I was not aware of this, and this sucks.

I did note one error in my prior statement, There are no major truck stop chains in DE....once you turn off 95 to get onto DE1/US301. Technically you got the T/A and Flying J right over the state line in Elkton MD, so i could consider that serving DE truck traffic.

And once you cross the bridge into NJ there's a few truck stops as well. 

But for trucks coming from Maryland via anything except 95, and headed on any route to PA, there are no major name truck stops anywhere thru Philly and back into NJ.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 03, 2020, 04:18:36 PM

But for trucks coming from Maryland via anything except 95, and headed on any route to PA, there are no major name truck stops anywhere thru Philly and back into NJ.

There is a truck stop on U.S. 301 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland.

There is also one off of I-97 in Millersville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland (but stopping there is a detour for trucks driving the U.S. 301 corridor and wanting to cross the Chesapeake Bay on the WPL Bridge).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 04, 2020, 11:10:19 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 03, 2020, 04:18:36 PM

There is a truck stop on U.S. 301 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland.

The Trailway Truck Stop at 301 and 304, just east of the interchange (S/E corner of same).

QuoteThere is also one off of I-97 in Millersville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland (but stopping there is a detour for trucks driving the U.S. 301 corridor and wanting to cross the Chesapeake Bay on the WPL Bridge).

The New Transit Truck Stop, wedged between the Veterans Hwy. and I-97 itself.  S/B truckers have to overshoot it by 1/4 mile, exit at exit 10A, then turn left on Vets Hwy. and double back.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

cpzilliacus

The MDTA has had a request for proposals to replace large parts of the WPL Bridge deck on the eastbound side of the crossing out since 2019.  The deadline for contractors to respond is in April 15, 2020. 

They are not planning to replace all of the deck in one big contract.  This proposed contract covers the deck truss part of the span from where the deck truss begins prior to the suspension span, does not include the suspension span itself, then continues along the section between the suspension span and the cantilever structure as as the bridge approaches the Kent Island side of the crossing. This project will replace about 42% of the eastbound bridge deck, make the deck about 4 feet wider, and MDTA is suggesting that it will take 550 days to complete the project.

The contract documents are available until the contract submission deadline on April 15, 2020 here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jmacswimmer

I was looking at bay bridge traffic cameras thru the MDOT CHART website yesterday and noticed that MDTA was quietly finished with the right-lane deck replacement project on the WB span.  I think their goal had been before Memorial Day, so they might have been taking advantage of the empty roads recently to finish the project quicker.

I then found this article about it this morning:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/westbound-work-on-bay-bridge-complete-lanes-reopen/32003572#
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

Traffic has been down for about 3 weeks. I doubt they could complete a year's worth of work in a short time span...with almost no advanced planning to do so.

Could also be there's other work to be done...just off the roadway or out of sight of the traveler.

Beltway

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 01, 2020, 08:51:56 AM
I was looking at bay bridge traffic cameras thru the MDOT CHART website yesterday and noticed that MDTA was quietly finished with the right-lane deck replacement project on the WB span.  I think their goal had been before Memorial Day, so they might have been taking advantage of the empty roads recently to finish the project quicker.
Last time I crossed the bridge, I noticed that a large length of the barriers had been removed.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jemacedo9

It has been a very mild winter also...so maybe there was opportunity to do more of the work than normal...assuming that there were probably weather contingencies built into the original schedule.

1995hoo

WTOP reports the State cites both favorable weather and reduced traffic as the reasons for getting it done early:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/04/construction-ends-on-the-bay-bridges-westbound-span-a-year-early/
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 01, 2020, 10:44:37 AM
WTOP reports the State cites both favorable weather and reduced traffic as the reasons for getting it done early:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/04/construction-ends-on-the-bay-bridges-westbound-span-a-year-early/

Here it is straight from the source:

https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/04/01/governor-hogan-announces-bay-bridge-westbound-right-lane-reopened-today-more-than-a-year-ahead-of-schedule/

Hogan originally directed MDTA to expedite the project last fall after those first few weekends where there was outrage over the 10+ mile delays.  For example, I think the original plan had been to reopen the lane temporarily during the Thanksgiving travel period, but instead they kept it closed throughout the project.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Beltway

I don't have access to this comPost article, but it says that the westbound bridge now has all three lanes open.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge westbound span fully reopens ahead of schedule

Jerks ... they won't even let me copy the URL.  It is linked here --
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/traffic-commuting/

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on April 01, 2020, 09:50:42 PM
I don't have access to this comPost article, but it says that the westbound bridge now has all three lanes open.

Well, yeah, jmacs already linked a story where it says the same thing.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 01, 2020, 09:50:42 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/chesapeake-bay-bridge-westbound-span-fully-reopens-ahead-of-schedule/2020/04/01/6d2b9cb8-741b-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

Try disabling JavaScript. Should be able to read. If you're using Chrome, click on the lock icon in the upper left corner, "Site Settings", and disable "JavaScript". Works pretty much on any paywall site.

QuoteRepairs to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge were completed this week – more than a month ahead of schedule, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said Wednesday.

Hogan (R) said unusually light traffic due to motorists staying home amid the coronavirus pandemic helped the work be completed quickly.

The right lane of the westbound span, which has been closed since September, reopened Wednesday morning.

The project, which took seven months, was completed far ahead of its initial two-year schedule. Hogan ordered the work to be accelerated in the fall after massive traffic jams ensued on both sides of the bridge.

In addition to lighter traffic, Hogan credited round-the-clock shifts and warm weather for helping to accelerate the work. State transportation officials also have said they saved time by requiring contractors to add crews and continue work through the busy Thanksgiving travel week.

"The folks on the [Eastern] shore that were having difficulty getting back and forth, hopefully that part of the problem is behind us, and we can get on to other things,"  Hogan said Wednesday on WGMD News Radio.

In a news release, Hogan added that while state officials are focused on the public health crisis, "It's important to celebrate the reopening of the westbound right lane of the Bay Bridge because for me it represents the spirit, dedication and work ethic that will see our state through any crisis."

Hogan has designated construction, including residential and private development, as "essential"  and those workers exempt from his stay-at-home order.

The $27 million bridge project entailed replacing the concrete bridge deck in the westbound span's right lane, which state transportation officials said had badly deteriorated to the point of becoming unsafe.

The four-mile bridge is the main crossing between the Baltimore-Washington region and the Eastern Shore, both for Eastern Shore commuters heading west for work and for eastbound beachgoers who pack it on weekends throughout the spring, summer and fall.

The repair work brought unprecedented misery, as motorists trying to get around the backups on U.S. 50 approaching the bridge jammed side roads on Kent Island. School buses were late, and local businesses said they suffered because customers and employees could not reach them.

Traffic also backed up in the Annapolis area when the westbound span could not be opened for two-way operations to accommodate late-afternoon and evening traffic headed back to the Eastern Shore.

Work remains on schedule to begin all-electronic tolling on the bridge by summer, officials said. Doing so will reduce backups by allowing all motorists to proceed without having to stop at toll booths. Motorists without an ­E-ZPass transponder will be mailed a bill based on a photo of their license plate.

Some work will continue in the westbound span's center and left lanes during overnight and off-peak hours, but "minimal"  traffic delays are expected, officials said. Workers also are continuing to replace overhead signal gantries on the westbound span.

The lighter traffic volumes also are allowing workers to speed up the installation of automated gates along westbound U.S. 50 on the Eastern Shore that will allow maintenance crews to start and cut off two-way traffic on the span more safely and quickly, officials said. That work will entail single-lane closures on or approaching the bridge during midday and off-peak hours.

Maryland Transportation Secretary Greg Slater commended contractors "for rising to the challenge"  of finishing the work amid the coronavirus outbreak.

"This will be one less thing for Marylanders to be concerned about as we rise out of our health crisis,"  Slater said.

Beltway

Nope, paywalled out.  I could always go to another machine, if I really want to see the article, I have two Win 10 machines and two Win 7 machines.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jmacswimmer

"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun: Contraflow controversy at the Bay Bridge: Which side is getting the worst of summer traffic?

QuoteSummer traffic congestion on the Bay Bridge can make life miserable for people who live near both ends, Kent Island on the east and the Broadneck peninsula on the west.

QuoteBut state Sen. Ed Reilly thinks Friday nights are more miserable on his side of the Chesapeake Bay lately. He blames a "systematic"  failure by the Maryland Transportation Authority to manage the contraflow lane – the lane set up to carry extra eastbound motorists over the westbound lane during peak travel times.

QuoteIn an Aug. 4 letter, the Anne Arundel Republican called on Gov. Larry Hogan to address the Maryland Transportation Authority's management of bridge traffic.

Quote"This is a conscious, in my opinion, a conscious decision by the management of the Bay Bridge to benefit the Eastern Shore to the detriment of everyone else in the state heading toward the beach,"  said Reilly, a Crofton Republican whose district includes the communities affected by bridge traffic.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 06, 2020, 08:35:00 AM
MDTA announced yesterday that the new toll gantry on the Kent Island side is being activated on May 12th:

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-releases/mdta-beat-another-summer-goal-bay-bridge-drivers-new-all-electronic

For what it's worth, it's been now a month and a day since crossing under the new gantry - just checked my EZ-Pass (thru the PTC) account online, and still no charge for crossing the bridge on July 11 (but all my PA Turnpike reads went thru on that trip both to and from the beach)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 11, 2020, 03:33:47 PM
For what it's worth, it's been now a month and a day since crossing under the new gantry - just checked my EZ-Pass (thru the PTC) account online, and still no charge for crossing the bridge on July 11 (but all my PA Turnpike reads went thru on that trip both to and from the beach)

Interesting...because I used the Bay Bridge on May 16th and have yet to see that charge on my account (which is thru MDTA, no less).  Might be crossing over again on Saturday, so we'll see what happens.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 11, 2020, 01:13:06 PM
Baltimore Sun: Contraflow controversy at the Bay Bridge: Which side is getting the worst of summer traffic?

This is a lose-lose situation IMO...regardless of which side has the 3rd lane open, the opposite side then has to deal with squeezing down to 2 lanes (and traffic flow seems to be a little less directional than it used to be).

I spent a Saturday afternoon at Sandy Point last summer and, in true roadgeek form, mostly watched MDTA operations on the bridge.  The 3rd lane was reversed east to ease slowdowns eastbound, but then slowdowns formed westbound.  So the 3rd lane was flipped back west again, and eastbound slowdowns quickly returned.  This pattern continued all afternoon as MDTA tried to clear the backups on each side.

I don't think anything will change with this until a 3rd span opens (but of course, that's a whole separate can of worms).
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: 1 option for new Chesapeake Bay crossing singled out in new report

QuoteMaryland transportation officials have narrowed down their options for a new crossing over the Chesapeake Bay to three plans they say will provide the most traffic relief, all which could be located at or near the original.

QuoteA new report, part of a multi-million dollar study commissioned by the Maryland Transportation Authority, found that adding a third span to the extant Chesapeake Bay Bridge between Crofton in Anne Arundel County and Queenstown in Queen Anne's County would likely provide the most traffic relief while limiting environmental damage.

QuoteBuilding that third span is one of three options still under consideration. Eleven sites out of a total of 14 have been rejected, The Washington Post reported Tuesday, with all three remaining options connecting on the west with Anne Arundel County to relieve current bridge traffic.

Washington Post: Maryland is studying three sites for a new Chesapeake Bay crossing, report says

QuoteMaryland transportation officials have rejected 11 of 14 potential sites for an additional Chesapeake Bay crossing, saying a new span must be built close to the existing bridge to provide the most traffic relief and cause less environmental damage, according to a state report released Tuesday.

QuoteThe report, part of a $5 million study by the Maryland Transportation Authority since 2016, makes clear that one option – building a third span adjacent to the two there now – is the leading contender of the remaining three. The other two would be within two miles of the bridge, either to the north or south.

QuoteAll three remaining options would connect on the west with Anne Arundel County, where residents already complain about bridge traffic swamping local roads. Two would connect on the eastern side with Queen Anne's County, where the current bridge touches down, while the third would connect south of there, in Talbot County.

Jmiles32

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 02, 2020, 10:37:56 AM
Washington Post: Maryland is studying three sites for a new Chesapeake Bay crossing, report says

QuoteMaryland transportation officials have rejected 11 of 14 potential sites for an additional Chesapeake Bay crossing, saying a new span must be built close to the existing bridge to provide the most traffic relief and cause less environmental damage, according to a state report released Tuesday.

QuoteThe report, part of a $5 million study by the Maryland Transportation Authority since 2016, makes clear that one option – building a third span adjacent to the two there now – is the leading contender of the remaining three. The other two would be within two miles of the bridge, either to the north or south.

QuoteAll three remaining options would connect on the west with Anne Arundel County, where residents already complain about bridge traffic swamping local roads. Two would connect on the eastern side with Queen Anne's County, where the current bridge touches down, while the third would connect south of there, in Talbot County.

Can almost guarantee that Maryland will end up just simply adding a third span to existing bridge. Best and most logical choice IMO too. No way a bridge would ever go all the way down to Talbot County. Way too far south and close to existing sanctuaries in the bay.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Jmiles32 on September 02, 2020, 02:07:47 PM
Can almost guarantee that Maryland will end up just simply adding a third span to existing bridge. Best and most logical choice IMO too. No way a bridge would ever go all the way down to Talbot County. Way too far south and close to existing sanctuaries in the bay.

Too much impact on the Anne Arundel County side too. 

If the state wanted a crossing at a new location, it should be between Calvert County on the Western Shore and Dorchester County on the Eastern.  But the distance to cross is long, and there would presumably have to be an all-new approach road on the Dorchester side from the bridge landing to U.S. 50.  On the Calvert side, there would probably need to be improvements on the MD-2, MD-4 and MD-231 corridors. 

So the crossing (either a long overwater crossing or a bridge-tunnel) would be expensive, as would all of the work on the approaches. 

famartin

I'm actually surprised there is much opposition at all. It seems like bridge backups are a big hassle for residents on both sides.

sprjus4

Quote from: famartin on September 02, 2020, 11:45:17 PM
I'm actually surprised there is much opposition at all. It seems like bridge backups are a big hassle for residents on both sides.
The opposition seems to be from outside RE/T groups more than anything who have never traveled the bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.