News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Topix is gone!

Started by bandit957, December 21, 2018, 02:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone ever use Topix? It was mostly anonymous gossip, trash talk, hate speech, and petty feuding. Mostly it was people just running their mouths about who was supposedly on drugs or who had "gone goth", so it didn't contribute a whole lot to public discourse.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on December 21, 2018, 02:46:37 PM
Anyone ever use Topix? It was mostly anonymous gossip, trash talk, hate speech, and petty feuding. Mostly it was people just running their mouths about who was supposedly on drugs or who had "gone goth", so it didn't contribute a whole lot to public discourse.

It appears the website is still active, unless someone else took it over?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bandit957

Quote from: US71 on December 21, 2018, 09:02:21 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 21, 2018, 02:46:37 PM

It appears the website is still active, unless someone else took it over?

When I go to any Topix page, it comes up with a message that says, "The Topix Forums Have Sailed Into the Sunset." Then it redirects me to Patch.com.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

wxfree

I get a fuller explanation, before it redirects a few seconds later.  You have to get a screenshot or quickly copy and past to read it.  Only the local forums are gone, the garbage entertainment part of the site is still there.  This is what a local forum page says:

The Topix Forums Have Sailed Into the Sunset

For over a decade Topix has proudly served up your town's latest news and hottest takes. In that time a lot has changed. We have grown to be one of the internet's largest entertainment sources.

We want to thank all of our forum readers and contributors. You helped shape our company and push us in directions we never thought possible. We hope that you continue to enjoy our content no matter what form it might take.

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough. - William Blake

Love local news, events, and conversation? Try Patch.

Topix users can chat with their neighbors on Patch and stay up to date with everything happening in their town.

Topix users can enjoy these exclusive Patch perks:

10% Discount on Patch Perks

Good for a huge variety of local events

Also in our DIY section you can post announcements, calendar events, and job postings.

This page will redirect to your local Patch in 15 seconds
Visit Patch
Trending on the Topix Network

[It then lists a bunch of click-bait sounding page descriptions.]
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

hbelkins

I've been the victim of a few anonymous drive-by Topix libelings over the years.

My suspicion is that they were staring down the barrel of some big lawsuit, so that's why they pulled the plug.

I'm sure some other anonymous comment site will rise up to take Topix's place, but maybe the proprietors of that new site will not make the mistake of logging IP addresses, making them vulnerable to warrants and subpoenas.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.