News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does US 360 Cross into Lunenburg County, VA?

Started by Laura, September 05, 2013, 06:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Does US 360 cross into Lunenburg County, VA?

I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out. When I look at maps (I've looked at Google, OSM, DeLorme, and the VA state official), the road seems to follow the Prince Edward/Lunenburg County line, then cross into Prince Edward County. But then there is a small dip in the road that crosses into the county in Meherrin, because US 360 dips below SR 630, which is where the county line is located.

However, there is no signage on the road noting that the driver has entered and exited Lunenburg County. I did not remember seeing one on my drive, and google street view confirmed it. Is it because maintenance is provided solely by Prince Edward? Or because the route originally didn't enter the county but then later did with a realignment?

I've checked VA highways (where there is no mention of Lunenburg Co.) and Wikipedia (just mention of it running along the county line).

Open street map:
http://osm.org/go/ZZBwMlsf--?relation=2534188

Google maps:
http://goo.gl/maps/11zIg

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

It's been years since I've been to Meherrin. I actually spent a decent amount of time there in college, especially March 1995 when some friends and I did an "Alternative Spring Break" trip to Blackstone and Meherrin to help out a friend of ours whose mother was the administrator of three Catholic parishes in the area that were all so small as not have a permanent priest assigned to them. The buildings needed some serious work and we volunteered to help with it. I would have to dig around in my old boxes of pictures and photo albums if I knew where they even are! But I seem to remember the county line sign being somewhere off the US route somewhere in the "town" (I put that word in quotation marks because it's such a small place).

The main thing I recall is that in the woods across the street from the church there was an old slave cemetery with gravestones marked simply "Mother" or "Father."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

usends

Quote from: Laura Bianca on September 05, 2013, 06:52:38 AM
Open street map:

It looks like you're right: your OSM link indicates that 360 does dip into Lunenburg for about 1000 feet.  This is also shown to be the case on USGS topos:
http://tinyurl.com/kosy4qh
(Look for the crosshair in the center of your screen.)  And then a little ways west of there, it appears 360 runs right along the Lunenburg/Prince Edward county line for a couple miles. 

But it wouldn't surprise me if the DOT didn't think it was worth signing such a minuscule piece of the county.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

1995hoo

Quote from: usends on September 05, 2013, 10:53:04 AM
Open street map:

It looks like you're right: your OSM link indicates that 360 does dip into Lunenburg for about 1000 feet.  This is also shown to be the case on USGS topos:
(Look for the crosshair in the center of your screen.)  And then a little ways west of there, it appears 360 runs right along the Lunenburg/Prince Edward county line for a couple miles. 

But it wouldn't surprise me if the DOT didn't think it was worth signing such a minuscule piece of the county.

I don't know about that because VDOT is normally meticulous in signing even the most minuscule such things. I can think of a spot on Route 231 just south of Gordonsville where there are two county line signs three-tenths of a mile apart. But perhaps the difference is that there it's three different counties (going south you go from Orange County to Louisa County and then moments later from Louisa County to Albemarle County). Maybe they don't feel it's worth bothering when the second crossing returns you to the prior county.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

^ Some maps show US 460 clipping Surry County between Sussex and Southampton, but if true it is definitely not posted as such.

With regard to the OP, I remember traveling said section of US 360 about 10 years ago, and there were county line signs immediately on secondary routes to the east of it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

The 1958 Lunenburg County map says explicitly that US 360 runs on the county line in two segments:
Charlotte line to about halfway between Virso and Bruceville (2.70 miles) and also from SR 701 to the SR 630 EB split in Meherrin (0.70 miles).  This second segment is bypassed to the north by modern US 360 but because it dips south of SR 630 briefly, that part is completely in Lunenburg County.

The counties I state in the US 360 entry are based on the traffic log.  US 360 used SR 701 wholly within Lunenburg County until 1936 but I make no mention of it being removed from Lunenburg nor the fact that the right lane of EB US 360 remains in Lunenburg for 2.7 miles or dips entirely in later (although it is possible the entirety of EB lanes are in Lunenburg because the EB side is the newer side leaving Keysville).  This is something to correct during a future update.

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
Quote from: usends on September 05, 2013, 10:53:04 AM
Open street map:

I don't know about that because VDOT is normally meticulous in signing even the most minuscule such things. I can think of a spot on Route 231 just south of Gordonsville where there are two county line signs three-tenths of a mile apart. But perhaps the difference is that there it's three different counties (going south you go from Orange County to Louisa County and then moments later from Louisa County to Albemarle County). Maybe they don't feel it's worth bothering when the second crossing returns you to the prior county.

But on the flipside, U.S. 50 dances along the  Fauquier County/Loudoun County border between Paris, Upperville and Middleburg.  Some of the crossings are posted, some are not.  I think U.S. 50 may clip the corner of Loudoun County near Paris [checked the Loudoun County GIS, it appears that the old alignment of U.S. 50 (which connects to Va. 601 which serves Mount Weather) has a part in Loudoun, but the four-lane segment does not], then it stays in Fauquier County through "downtown" Upperville, then it enters Loudoun for a short distance, then back to Fauquier, then it finally enters Loudoun "for good" west of Middleburg.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

1932 County maps are contradictory on this...

Loudoun County shows no indication at all.

Clarke and Fauquier imply it might but it could just be the width of the line used to denote the highway.

In the 1958 set, only the Clarke County map still implies it might...

Mapmikey

Sykotyk

I, too, would like to know. I've driven this road and have yet to clinch Lunenburg County. But, every topo map I've seen with the county line shows that you cross through. I haven't marked it off yet, because I'm waiting for some type of confirmation that it does, in fact, cross into the county. Even if for only a few dozen feet.

Otherwise, I'll just have to include it in my trip when I clinch the rest of Virginia in the future.

Mapmikey

US 360 definitely does pass through Lunenburg County and here is VDOT acknowledging this:

Go to http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/prOTIM.asp

After it loads the viewer you will get a 'welcome' pop-up window.  You can close this.

At the top of the viewer, click ZOOM TO ROAD

You will get another pop-up window.

Select LUNENBURG under jurisdiction, then after it lets you, scroll down the other pull-down until you see US 360.  Click this, then click the MAP IT link.

It will zoom in on the viewer to the piece of US 360 below SR 630 and it shows the county line running along SR 630 to the north.

Using this on-line mapping feature you can also show that US 460 passes through Surry County and that US 17-50 clipped Loudoun County at Ashby Gap before it was 4-laned...

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.