DC: some changes to the design of the 11th St Bridge project

Started by froggie, May 30, 2009, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Recently came upon this.  (Alternative URL)

There's been a few changes made to the design of the 11th St Bridge project (i.e. I-295/I-695 in DC).  Here's the major changes as compared to the preferred alternative:

- The local bridge and Navy Yard-side approach have been shifted slightly north, while the freeway bridge and Navy Yard-side approach have been shifted slightly south, to where both will be within the wide expanse in between the two existing bridges.  This was done to allow most of the new bridges (70% according to Skanska) to be built "off-line" while maintaining traffic on the existing bridges.

- The I-295/I-695/DC 295 interchange has been modified significantly.  The preferred alternative, I-295/DC 295 was the "through route" with a semi-directional interchange connecting to I-695.  Skanska's plan has the I-295/I-695 connection as the "through route", and also lowers the profile of the interchange, in response to comments/concerns from the adjacent neighborhood.  The original-plan flyover from I-295 to I-695 soared well above the trees, as viewed from Ridge Pl SE, while in the new design, DC 295 to I-295 is the tallest ramp and will be covered by the trees (again as viewed from Ridge Pl SE).  This was also done, according to Skanska, because of expected traffic flow, driver expectation, and to reduce mainline weaves.

- In that same area, the SB off-ramp to local 11th St has been moved to where it meets 11th St at the intersection with the NB ramps.  It also exits from the left of the ramp from DC 295 to I-695, instead of exiting from DC 295 itself.

- Near M St and the SE Fwy, only the westbound flyover bridge is being built.  Eastbound will remain in its existing condition.

I've heard that these changes...in particular not building the eastbound flyover bridge...are because DC is about $100 million short of what it needs to build the full preferred alternative (est. $360 million), even after switching to design-build.  So they're building as much as they can with the $260 million they have available.

Henry

Seems to me that they can't do anything about the "other" I-695; that would be the hidden route for the Southeast Freeway east of I-395/I-295. I remember seeing this designation on old road atlases, and I've researched it quite a bit. At one point, it was to form an inner loop within the District, and at another, it was to continue eastward to DC 295 as the Barney Circle Freeway. Now there's been talk about completely dismantling the freeway, as has happened in other cities (in fact, they're getting rid of the unused western end of I-170 in Baltimore, as we speak). Any further developments on this?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

I-695 is the Southeast Freeway east of I-395; I-295 ends at I-695.

The ramps to/from the 11th Street Bridges (only used for RFK Stadium access) were torn down a couple years ago. These actually would have carried I-295 into the median of I-695, where it would continue past RFK Stadium to I-95. The new 11th Street Bridges will include access to/from DC 295, making the part of I-695 east of I-295 much less useful.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

To clarify, I-295 is what would have continued past RFK to I-95 near New York Ave.

DDOT has already received permission to de-designate I-295 north of the Anacostia side of the 11th Street Bridge, and designate the 11th St Bridge itself as I-695.  Whether they actually sign I-695 after the 11th St Bridge project is anyone's guess.

The long term goal, of which part of the westbound side will be done with the 11th St Bridge project, is to convert the extant part of the Southeast Freeway between 11th St and Pennsylvania Ave as a surface boulevard.

As for dismantling all of the Southeast Freeway...while some urbanist groups would like to see that, there hasn't been enough serious talk on it to where DDOT has undertaken study.  I have my doubts that it'll even be looked at anytime soon...DDOT just redid the bridge decking on the Southeast Freeway about 10 years ago.

rmichael87

You are better off proposing tunneling Southeast-Southwest Frwy from Potomac Park to the 11th Street Bridge. Adding new ramps from southbound DC 295 to I-695 westbound is only going to put more traffic on that segment. Not that I'm complaining - no more having to use the Howard Road exit to the Douglass Bridge.

froggie

Sorry to brush off an old thread, but this is related to the ongoing 11th Street Bridge project in DC, where I-295, hidden I-695, and DC 295 come together.

WTOP is reporting that the first major part of the project will open this weekend:  the flyover ramp from southbound DC 295 to continue south on I-295.

Since first built ~50 years ago, DC 295 to I-295 was the "mainline", and the ramp from the 11th St Bridge merged from the right.  The bridge project is drastically revamping the interchange, and now the 11th St Bridge (EB I-695) to SB I-295 movement will be the "mainline" with SB DC 295 merging in from the right.

agentsteel53

is there any plan to sign 695, or is there no need?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Too early to tell.  It's currently "signed" as TO I-295 or TO I-395 on the respective ends.

froggie

We know now.  Those of us who did the "DC add-on" to the ICC meet today saw visual proof that DDOT will indeed sign the 11th Street bridge as I-695...there's a pull-through sign already installed on the new inbound bridge stating "I-695 TO I-395, Capitol Hill".  It was dark by the time we got there, but I plan on getting a pic tomorrow while running errands.

rickmastfan67

NJRoadfan

What ramps are currently complete and open for this project? I will be passing through the DC area at the end of December and would likely be using one of the "missing moves" (I-295 S to 695 or 695 to I-295 N).

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 27, 2011, 12:05:11 AM
What ramps are currently complete and open for this project? I will be passing through the DC area at the end of December and would likely be using one of the "missing moves" (I-295 S to 695 or 695 to I-295 N).

None.  I was through there Friday, and the Anacostia Freeway southbound relocated roadway is open to traffic, it is mostly elevated on bridge, although it is only 2 lanes and with shoulders only a couple feet wide.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NJRoadfan

Well I guess I can scratch that detour off the list. At least I'll be able to check out the ICC (with a toll.. grr).

froggie

I did a quick blog post this afternoon that includes a link to the photo I took.  The Washington Post will also be using my photo in an upcoming article/post.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2011, 02:35:26 PM
I did a quick blog post this afternoon that includes a link to the photo I took.  The Washington Post will also be using my photo in an upcoming article/post.

Great to see a hidden Interstate finally get posted.

Also Froggie, don't forget to post a link to that Washington Post article once it's online. ;)

Takumi

Great news. Maybe I-595 next? (I'm not holding my breath, mind you...)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

Quote from: NE2 on November 28, 2011, 09:54:41 PM
Unlike I-695, signing I-595 would be pointless.

DC I-695 is pointless and counterproductive, IMHO.

It would be more logical for I-295 to continue over the 11th Street Bridge and over the Southeast Freeway, and connect to I-395.  The Anacostia Freeway would be I-295 south/west of the 11th Street Bridge, and would be DC-201 north/east of the bridge.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

I-695 is currently not signed as anything, just to I-295 and I-395.

Beltway

Quote from: NE2 on November 28, 2011, 10:52:17 PM
I-695 is currently not signed as anything, just to I-295 and I-395.

But that is the plan, which I disagree with.

Unsigned I-695 should be I-295.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

Here's the Post blog piece from Mike DeBonis.

QuoteIt would be more logical for I-295 to continue over the 11th Street Bridge and over the Southeast Freeway, and connect to I-395.  The Anacostia Freeway would be I-295 south/west of the 11th Street Bridge, and would be DC-201 north/east of the bridge.

This would create more confusion than it would solve.  Since Kenilworth has long been known as DC 295, it's "more logical" to leave it as such as a direct continuation of I-295.  That DDOT is starting to sign I-695 here is somewhat surprising...I expected them to just continue signing it as "TO I-395" and "TO I-295/DC 295".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2011, 02:35:26 PM

You wrote (on your blog):

QuoteThis is quite likely the first I-695 shield in DC in 40 years, if not ever. I-695 was originally slated to follow both the Southeast Freeway and also the cancelled "West Leg" of the core freeway system, from I-395 at Maine Ave northwest to I-66 near the Roosevelt Bridge.

Many years ago (1970's or 1980's), there was an I-695 shield posted on the off-ramp (marked "Independence Avenue" - in my opinion, it should read "Ohio Drive") from the eastbound T. Roosevelt Bridge (I-66/U.S. 50)  (this is the very first exit from the bridge on the D.C. side of the river).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2011, 11:10:22 AM

Many years ago (1970's or 1980's), there was an I-695 shield posted on the off-ramp (marked "Independence Avenue" - in my opinion, it should read "Ohio Drive") from the eastbound T. Roosevelt Bridge (I-66/U.S. 50)  (this is the very first exit from the bridge on the D.C. side of the river).

Oddly, the National Park Service calls that part of Ohio Drive–i.e., the segment between Rock Creek Parkway and the Potomac River Freeway–"Old Constitution Avenue." The Washington Post's Dr. Gridlock posted a number of blog entries that used that name and I asked him once where that road is, as I had never heard that term used and I've lived around here since 1974. "mtantillo" of this forum echoed the question. I did some research and every reference I could find to that street name was related to the reconstruction of Ohio Drive last year. It seems that prior to the construction of the Roosevelt Bridge, Constitution Avenue went straight to the riverbank and ended at Rock Creek Parkway at the spot where there is now sort of a faux-roundabout (in the evening rush hour, the "Kennedy Center Only" sawhorse is set up at about this point). So for some reason the National Park Service calls the realigned road right there "Old Constitution Avenue" even though no map anywhere uses that name.

This map is from the Ohio Drive construction and shows the name:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

I'm hearing from a reliable source that, weather permitting, DDOT hopes to open the new freeway bridges to traffic on December 16 (2 weeks from tomorrow).  Which explains the overhead sign I photographed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.