VA-28 freewaylization

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 19, 2009, 09:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I wonder how the freewaylization of VA-28 between I-66 and VA-7 goes? I can't wait to see Google maps showing it in red (and RMcN marked it in blue  :colorful:)

74/171FAN

Here's the project's website  http://www.28freeway.com/  I've really been wanting to drive through here but I don't get to go to NoVA as often as I would like and when I do it involves the Nats  :-/
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

It's gonna be awhile before you see it all as freeway, too.  There's no funding to upgrade the interchange at I-66 or eliminate the two traffic signals north of I-66 (Braddock Rd/Walney Rd and Ellanor Lawrence Park).

rawr apples

I got the chance to drive through it last year, and will again in 3 weeks :D I used to live just north of where 28 and 7 meet, travelled it a lot.  its really helped congestion in the area. Theyre doing the same thing to 7 between Ashburn in Leesburg
Now shut up and drivee

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: froggie on July 19, 2009, 01:02:37 PM
It's gonna be awhile before you see it all as freeway, too.  There's no funding to upgrade the interchange at I-66 or eliminate the two traffic signals north of I-66 (Braddock Rd/Walney Rd and Ellanor Lawrence Park).

and between VA-267 and VA-7?

froggie

More or less already complete between VA 267 and SR 625 (Waxpool Rd).  There are 2 traffic signals north of there, and as best as I can tell, there are no currently funded plans to remove them.

So the short answer is the same as what I mentioned before.

rawr apples

I get to see improvements tomorrow, from the past year. flying in overnight :)
Now shut up and drivee

rawr apples

double post..lol

so Nokes is more or less done from my experience, with a nice was to go from north 28 to atlantic blvd.
Now shut up and drivee

mtantillo

There is now only one signal left between the Dulles Toll Road and Route 7.  The median is closed there, so it operates as a two-phase signal, and I've only seen the northbound side actually change.  Makes the trip to Leesburg a lot nicer (since I refuse to pay the Greenway toll).

froggie

The Willard Rd interchange (south of US 50) is now open, as I discovered Wednesday morning.  But construction is far from being completed there.

froggie

Some more VA 28 notes from this morning, and to elaborate on what Mike posted:

- The new Willard Rd interchange is a SPUI.

- The interchange at SR 608/Frying Pan Rd still has a bit to go.  Once done, it'll eliminate the only signal between VA 267/Dulles and US 50.

- What had been a right-in/right-out on the northbound side at Cedar Green Rd (between SR 846/Sterling Blvd and SR 625/Waxpool Rd) is now a "right-in" only.  The "right-out" onto NB VA 28 has been blocked off.

- At Steeplechase Rd (north of SR 625), the traffic signal remains (this is the signal that Mike mentioned), but the median has been blocked off, effectively making this a signalized right-in/right-out on each side.  The NB side is Steeplechase Rd, while the SB side is a parking lot for the Washington & Old Dominion Trail (which crosses over VA 28 just south of the intersection).

- The former intersection at Severn Way has been removed completely, with cul-de-sacs on either side.

- The interchange at Nokes Blvd is now open.  It's a 7-ramp par-clo, missing a loop in the southeast quadrant.

- With the changes and 2 interchange openings over the summer...if you consider the unsignalized right-in/right-outs to be buttonhook ramps (which they sort of are), then there are three distinct segments of bona-fide freeway along VA 28:  from SR 662/Westfields Blvd to SR 668/McLearen Rd (including the US 50 interchange), from Dulles Airport/VA 267 to SR 625/Waxpool Rd, and from Nokes Blvd to VA 7.  Completion of the SR 608/Frying Pan Rd interchange will tie the first two together, making for a full freeway from south of US 50 to north of VA 267.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on August 30, 2009, 04:42:58 PM
- With the changes and 2 interchange openings over the summer...if you consider the unsignalized right-in/right-outs to be buttonhook ramps (which they sort of are), then there are three distinct segments of bona-fide freeway along VA 28:  from SR 662/Westfields Blvd to SR 668/McLearen Rd (including the US 50 interchange), from Dulles Airport/VA 267 to SR 625/Waxpool Rd, and from Nokes Blvd to VA 7.  Completion of the SR 608/Frying Pan Rd interchange will tie the first two together, making for a full freeway from south of US 50 to north of VA 267.
It's supposedly now a full freeway all the way from Westfields to SR 7. Bing aerials show that the only at-grade remaining between Old Ox and Waxpool is at Steeplechase, and the last comment on http://www.loudouncountytraffic.com/2011/03/question-about-traffic-light-on-route.html says that this light is now gone.

And look, our friend is there.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

It is.  I was on it yesterday and noted the shoulders closed at Steeplechase as they remove the right-in/right-outs.

Also of note:  construction is underway to complete the interchange at Innovation Ave/unsigned VA 209.  The full interchange will be a trumpet interchange just north of the Dulles Toll Rd/VA 267.

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2011, 09:10:59 AM
It is.  I was on it yesterday and noted the shoulders closed at Steeplechase as they remove the right-in/right-outs.

Also of note:  construction is underway to complete the interchange at Innovation Ave/unsigned VA 209.  The full interchange will be a trumpet interchange just north of the Dulles Toll Rd/VA 267.

Maybe the 13 year old was right.  This could be an interstate and maybe the Feds funding it would be reason for the commonwealth to build it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2012, 02:10:05 PM

Maybe the 13 year old was right.  This could be an interstate and maybe the Feds funding it would be reason for the commonwealth to build it.

And then they will increase the speed limit to 85mph. (Sorry, NE2.)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 23, 2012, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2012, 02:10:05 PM

And then they will increase the speed limit to 85mph. (Sorry, NE2.)

It is wide enough and straight enough to allow a speed limit much higher than the current posted 55 MPH limit, though it would be nice to see the miserable at-grade signalized intersection just north of I-66 at Braddock Road (Va. 620) [west] and Walney Road (Va. 657) [east] replaced by a grade-separated interchange.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

There's a fine line between troll and visionary.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.