News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Jordan Bridge

Started by deathtopumpkins, February 04, 2009, 02:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

(Quote is from VA thread where this was originally posted)
Quote from: Alex on February 04, 2009, 11:11:08 AM
DTP, don't know if you saw this, but the proposal to build a new Elizabeth River toll bridge is moving forward: http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/3972

Thanks for the link aaroads. I had not heard that they accepted that proposal.

Posts labeled as "Re:Virginia" originally posted in general Virginia thread.
-Mark
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on February 04, 2009, 06:25:13 PM
It was on Pilotonline a few days ago that the city accepted that new Jordan Bridge proposal.

There you go.  :-P I get local news from the Daily Press, not the Virginian Pilot.  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

ShawnP

cpzilliacus

More from TOLLROADSnews about this incident (images in this story are worth a look): Jordan Bridge construction incident in South Norfolk VA to delay opening 3 to 6 weeks REVISED UPDATED

QuoteLinda Figg president of Figg Engineering said Monday morning our report had "sensationalized" the incident and contained errors. We had one angry lady! We hadn't until that point been able to get the company's version of events, beyond that given to the local media. We made some immediate corrections but agreed to withdraw the report on condition we'd get the company's full explanation of what had occurred.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Unexpected movement in supporting erection truss caused fall in segment of South Norfolk Jordan Bridge - recovery under way

QuoteOne of two steel trusses used to support precast concrete box girder segments during construction moved unexpectedly June 21 at the new South Norfolk Jordan Bridge causing a segment to fall about 50ft to the ground below, and other segments to move. No one was seriously hurt but it was an embarrassing incident which forced the postponement for a month or so of opening ceremonies, a 5K walk and 'bridge bash' that were long scheduled for this Saturday July 14.

QuoteThe bridge segments are 52ft wide (the width of the deck) by about 7ft long in the direction of the roadway deck, with a depth in the center where the trapezoidal box shape gives them structural strength that varies between 7ft and 12ft depending on the span length.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

On I-264 today, I saw a billboard for the new Jordan Bridge, saying it opens "soon". I believe it was originally supposed to open either this past week or next week before the above mishap. The bridge's website (snjb.net) still says "by July 2012".
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

Lately we've been hearing talk down here about sometime in August.

Scrooloose

Wow. 

I lived in Va. Beach from 84 - 99. Navy the first 8 years then I worked at S.P.S.A. until I moved back to Fresno. I remember when it broke down and we (SPSA) made them some gears and donated it for free. I guess at the time there was no money to fix the bridge.
Hey Washington DC. Fresno needs a interstate!

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Jordan Bridge worker says operator error caused truss move - "job unsafe, poorly managed"

QuoteA worker on the Jordan Bridge in Chesapeake VA - we'll call him Anthony Castellari - tells TOLLROADSnews that operator error was the immediate cause of the dramatic collapse of a span under construction June 21. Figg engineering which was designer, prime contractor and customer in the project has consistently refused to explain what went wrong, and indeed has begun to publicize the project in the tame trade press (ROADS & BRIDGES) pretending the dramatic accident never occurred.

QuoteCastellari says the end segment of the span under construction suddenly slid off its stands, falling several feet onto the main truss, breaking one wing and falling to the ground below.

QuoteWhen the segment fell from its support stands onto the trusses it caused them to twist, upsetting all the other segments in the span. None of them completely fell but they were badly damaged, rained debris to the ground below and were left perched precariously.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Figg VOSHed: VA safety agency hits bridge with fines for sloppy truss work before S Norfolk span crash

QuoteVOSH, Virginia's safety regulators have hit Figg Bridge Builders with six citations for unsafe practices associated with the collapse of an approach span of the Jordan Bridge under construction June 21. A "launching girder" or construction truss system - on which precast box girder segments are assembled before being wired together into a self-supporting bridge span - moved apart suddenly when two-thirds loaded dropping one segment to the ground below, and damaging a bunch of other segments in the upset.

QuoteNo one was seriously hurt in the incident luckily, but it set back the opening more than three months. New bridge segments had to be manufactured and a new construction truss obtained.

QuoteSix citations have been issued by Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) agency, an arm of the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry, levying fines of $28,000 against Figg. All relate to Figg's alleged failure to follow the safety instructions of DEAL, the launching girder or truss manufacturer as specified in its Use and Maintenance Manual.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Jordan Bridge span collapse generates more citations - now against Lane

QuoteA collapse in an approach span of the investor built Jordan toll bridge in the city of Chesapeake Virginia has generated another set of state penalties, this time against Figg Bridge's partner in the project Lane Construction. The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry's Occupational Safety and Health Compliance office (known as VOSH) alleges five violations of safe practice and levies $21,000 in fines.

QuoteThe charges say Lane Construction failed to follow the manufacturer of the segment launching girder's requirements for inspections and maintenance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.