News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-41, An AASHTO Violation?

Started by ColossalBlocks, January 07, 2017, 12:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

I've noticed that I-41 runs concurrent with US-41 for it's entire length. Isn't that an AASHTO violation?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

SEWIGuy

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on January 07, 2017, 12:06:04 PM
I've noticed that I-41 runs concurrent with US-41 for it's entire length. Isn't that an AASHTO violation?

AASHTO approved both the I-41 number, and the US-41 relocation, at the same meeting in November 2012.  So my guess is no.

http://route.transportation.org/Documents/SCOH%20Report%2011-16-2012.pdf

Big John

With the precedent of I-74 in North Carolina concurrent with US 74, it was allowed.

Scott5114

AASHTO once had a policy of trying to avoid US routes and Interstates in the same state, although even from the early days, there were some instances of this (US 24 and I-24 in IL, US 80 and I-80 in CA, etc.) It seems like in recent times AASHTO has acknowledged that the grid has gotten dense enough that some conflicts are unavoidable. Another recently added one is US 69 crossing the path of I-69.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

And, unlike I-74 and US74, US41/I-41 is far less of a conflict: as they are entirely concurrent, the confusion of two routes with the same number that AASHTO sought to avoid doesn't exist. In fact it's less of a problem than I-69 and US69 merely intersecting, or even I-24 and US24 at opposite ends of Illinois.

SEWIGuy

Remember that WISDOT preferred either I-55 or I-57 (I can't remember which), but Illinois didn't want the extension. 

Big John

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 07, 2017, 01:38:41 PM
Remember that WISDOT preferred either I-55 or I-57 (I can't remember which), but Illinois didn't want the extension. 
It was I-55 this time.  I-57 was the preference for I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay.  Illinois killed both proposals.

LM117

Quote from: Big John on January 07, 2017, 12:12:36 PM
With the precedent of I-74 in North Carolina concurrent with US 74, it was allowed.

I-74 was designated by Congress. AASHTO had no choice but to approve it's concurrency with US-74.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

peterj920

Quote from: Big John on January 07, 2017, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 07, 2017, 01:38:41 PM
It was I-55 this time.  I-57 was the preference for I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay.  Illinois killed both proposals.

I-55 was never considered by WISDOT.  There were municipalities along I-41 in the Fox Valley that wanted I-55.  The alternatives were I-41, I-47, I-594, I-694 with WISDOT preferring I-41 which was selected.  I-41 fits the grid right between I-39 and I-43. 

billtm

What I really don't get is why it had to become an Interstate. What's wrong with keeping it US-41? It never crosses state lines anyways. I-43 is the faster and shorter route anyways, so having two interstates connecting the same two points is just confusing, IMO.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: billtm on January 09, 2017, 08:04:37 PM
What I really don't get is why it had to become an Interstate. What's wrong with keeping it US-41? It never crosses state lines anyways. I-43 is the faster and shorter route anyways, so having two interstates connecting the same two points is just confusing, IMO.

It does cross a state line.  (And I-43 doesn't).  And I-41 is shorter to Green Bay if you are going from the west side of the Milwaukee suburbs. 

peterj920

Quote from: billtm on January 09, 2017, 08:04:37 PM

I-43 is the shorter route between Green Bay and Milwaukee, but a lot more people live along the I-41 corridor than the I-43 corridor.  Because of that, I-41 has more traffic than I-43 as I-41 is 6 lanes between Appleton and Oshkosh.  Appleton's metro area is almost as big as Green Bay and giving that area an interstate is why the designation was implemented.  The traffic is there and it was a freeway even before the I-41 designation. 

Revive 755

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 09, 2017, 08:10:41 PM
It does cross a state line.  (And I-43 doesn't).

That wouldn't be hard to fix; just add a short multiplex with I-39 and I-90 down to the US 51 interchange just over the Illinois border.  Have it implied that it might get extended over a future upgrade of the semi-expressway IL 251. [/sarcasm]

More seriously, at least I-43 does not need a long multiplex just to get near a state line.

billtm

Oops, I guess it does cross a state line. :pan: But I still believe routes like US-41 should be kept as US highways until their reach becomes more significant than one state(in the east).

SEWIGuy

Disagree.  I think if it is an interstate worthy highway, it should be labelled as such.  The system is "interstate."  That doesn't mean every highway has to be.

english si

Gotta love the classic 'Interstates shouldn't be intrastate' nonsense - interstate refers to the network, not necessarily the routes. Appleton, etc is worthy of being on that network.

As for the state line issue, it's really I-94 piggybacking on the '41 route rather than I-41 piggybacking on I-94 - and has been since I-94 was rerouted via Chicago as the numbering was tweaked. IL wanting I-55 to end in Chicago has meant that this north-south freeway between Chicago and Milwaukee has strangely had an east-west number as its main one for 50 years. But no longer, at least in WI and the northernmost mile of IL anyway!

hbelkins

It should have been a three-digit route. Period. End of discussion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2017, 12:17:01 PM

No it shouldn't have.  Period.  End of discussion.

texaskdog

If you cannot tell the difference between the black/white & red/blue shields there is no hope for you.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 10, 2017, 12:25:40 PM

Yes, it should have.  Period.  End of discussion.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Rothman on January 10, 2017, 12:47:53 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 10, 2017, 12:25:40 PM

Yes, it should have.  Period.  End of discussion.
Let's not argue.
I-55 was proposed for what is now Interstate 41. Interstate 57 was I-43. Both proposals were killed by IDOT.
Your welcome.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SEWIGuy

There are 19 2dis shorter than I-41.

Should I-66, I-19, I-97, I-83, I-22, I-4 and I-37 be 3dis as well? 

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 10, 2017, 01:09:31 PM

I-66, no.

I-19, possibly.

I-97, absolutely!  Been proposed many times on here.

I-83, heck no.

I-22, fine as is.

I-4, fine as is, doesn't come back and hit the same interstate like I-41 does with I-43.

I-37, possibly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

billtm

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 10, 2017, 01:09:31 PM

I-97 definitely should not be an interstate. Tell me if I'm wrong, but the only highway on your list that is completely multiplexed is I-22. The fact that I-41 is multiplexed along its entire route is not right to me. I think I-22 is okay though because it shortens interstate travel distance considerably.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.