News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Windows 10 october update glitches

Started by Stephane Dumas, October 07, 2018, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

They should stop trying to update things i guess

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 30, 2019, 03:14:03 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2019, 05:46:17 PM
But I'm not sure I want to bother with alternatives like Linux because of convenience reasons to do with work compatibility and the like.

I would suggest making a bootable CD of one of the major distros like Fedora or Ubuntu and trying to live out of it for a while to see how many compromises you have to make and whether it's viable. Compatibility is really not as bad as you might think, as long as you are willing to meet Linux halfway–that is, unless you have some reason you have to use a particular program, you can find a Linux-friendly replacement that can edit the same files. So while trying to running the latest Excel is probably going to cause problems, you can easily find a program that edits .xlsx files.

The real killer is finding device drivers for things like the scanner portion of all-in-one scanner/printer devices, which is not always guaranteed, so it's worth testing before committing to a change.

All of that might well work for me, depending of course on whether TurboTax is available for those alternate OSes, but what would you suggest I do for my mom? I can tell you with near-certainty that she probably wouldn't even be interested in adjusting to a Mac. Hers has to be a very straightforward setup; I also have to find out from her whether she still uses word processing software more than every once in a great while (reason: her current PC has WordPerfect for two reasons–she's comfortable with it because she's used various versions going back to 4.2 for DOS in 1987, and my father's office at the US government used WordPerfect at least until he retired–so if she wants to keep WordPerfect on the new one, that may constrain things). 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2019, 04:03:32 PMHers has to be a very straightforward setup; I also have to find out from her whether she still uses word processing software more than every once in a great while (reason: her current PC has WordPerfect for two reasons–she's comfortable with it because she's used various versions going back to 4.2 for DOS in 1987, and my father's office at the US government used WordPerfect at least until he retired–so if she wants to keep WordPerfect on the new one, that may constrain things).

I have done enough work providing tech support to members of my immediate family to realize that working around limited computer literacy is a human factors problem, not a technical problem.  WordPerfect is actually still developed (current version is X9, which came out about 15 months ago), but I suspect it would be more attractive to your mother to stick with her current version because she is familiar with the UI.  It will likely install, but may require some form of a compatibility mode if it is old enough.  This can be a tossup--on my current computer (purchased 2011), CorelDRAW version 9 (purchased 2000) would install but Microsoft Office SR-1 Professional (also purchased 2000) would not (I tried compatibility mode).

There is no installable version of TurboTax for Linux, though the online version can be used through a Web browser.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

Earlier this month, I got a pop-up window forcing another update on me, which gave me the option of updating it at the time, or a later date, or a third option, I forget what it was. But they weren't letting me get out of this, and so I randomly chose September 30, 2019.

That's two days from now, and I'm not going to have time to clear everything from my PC before they force this on me. I have to find a way to stop this one from being carried out too.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 28, 2019, 01:14:12 AM
Earlier this month, I got a pop-up window forcing another update on me, which gave me the option of updating it at the time, or a later date, or a third option, I forget what it was. But they weren't letting me get out of this, and so I randomly chose September 30, 2019.

That's two days from now, and I'm not going to have time to clear everything from my PC before they force this on me. I have to find a way to stop this one from being carried out too.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php  Works every time.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 30, 2019, 05:27:33 PM
There is no installable version of TurboTax for Linux, though the online version can be used through a Web browser.

I've been using the online version of TaxAct for almost 15 years with no issues under Linux.  I would have to guess that TurboTax online would work just as well.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2019, 04:03:32 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 30, 2019, 03:14:03 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2019, 05:46:17 PM
But I'm not sure I want to bother with alternatives like Linux because of convenience reasons to do with work compatibility and the like.

I would suggest making a bootable CD of one of the major distros like Fedora or Ubuntu and trying to live out of it for a while to see how many compromises you have to make and whether it's viable. Compatibility is really not as bad as you might think, as long as you are willing to meet Linux halfway–that is, unless you have some reason you have to use a particular program, you can find a Linux-friendly replacement that can edit the same files. So while trying to running the latest Excel is probably going to cause problems, you can easily find a program that edits .xlsx files.

The real killer is finding device drivers for things like the scanner portion of all-in-one scanner/printer devices, which is not always guaranteed, so it's worth testing before committing to a change.

All of that might well work for me, depending of course on whether TurboTax is available for those alternate OSes, but what would you suggest I do for my mom?

I dealt with this problem with my family members when I started to become the de facto unpaid IT guy by very firmly establishing that if I am to be  the sysadmin for them, they will have to use the software that I am comfortable with maintaining. If they didn't like the software environment I was providing, they could learn how to maintain their preferred software themselves, or find someone else to do it.

They found someone else to do it. Your mileage may vary on if this is considered a good outcome or not; for me, it was.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

I was going to start a new thread on the May 2020 Windows 10 Update glitches, using this link and others as a reference, but for some stupid reason my PC won't let me save links and post them anywhere.

SectorZ

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 31, 2020, 02:20:20 PM
I was going to start a new thread on the May 2020 Windows 10 Update glitches, using this link and others as a reference, but for some stupid reason my PC won't let me save links and post them anywhere.

Is it out already? If so, thanks for the warning.

Scott5114

My workplace applied some sort of Windows 10 update when we were closed for quarantine. Notepad has been patched to make Ctrl-Backspace actually delete the last word instead of inserting some kind of control character. About time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

okc1

Is Version 1909 the latest? Mine updated about 2 weeks ago, installing the Chrome-like Edge.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

US71

I try to open a website and another one opens instead.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Route66Fan

Quote from: okc1 on June 01, 2020, 08:23:06 AM
Is Version 1909 the latest? Mine updated about 2 weeks ago, installing the Chrome-like Edge.
The current version is 2004, released on May 27, 2020.

D-Dey65

You know I've been struggling to keep the update away for so long I may just let it go tonight (weirdly enough Microsoft set yesterday for the date). If I get cut off from the AA Roads forum, at least I have my password in storage so I can get back on. Too bad I can't say the same for some of the other sites I'm signed onto.

vdeane

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 17, 2020, 10:44:44 PM
You know I've been struggling to keep the update away for so long I may just let it go tonight (weirdly enough Microsoft set yesterday for the date). If I get cut off from the AA Roads forum, at least I have my password in storage so I can get back on. Too bad I can't say the same for some of the other sites I'm signed onto.

I've heard that USB printers now only work if the printer was turned on when Windows was last booted up and that some users lost printing capability (even to a PDF) altogether.

Very glad I don't deal with Windows 10 outside of work.  These problems seem to keep happening more and more often.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.