News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Lowes is closing 51 stores in the US and Canada

Started by roadman65, November 05, 2018, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

txstateends

I guess the home improvement store count has likely hit its peak, just as what has happened with clothing/shoes and books in recent years.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jeffandnicole

The store closures are very sporadic.  The only one in my 4 state area (PA, NJ, DE, MD) to close is in Shippensburg.  Only 20 in the US are closing, so not a huge amount.

2 are in NYC...can't imagine they're very big stores, or maybe the space is just too costly to run them as home improvement stores.

Brandon

Lowe's is really the third-place home improvement store of its type, behind Menards and Home Depot.  Around here, if there's a Menards, Home Depot, and a Lowe's, it's the Lowe's that closes.  Granted, Menards is privately-owned, but I get the feeling that the rankings are as follows:

1. Menards.
2. Home Depot.
3. Lowe's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

webny99

I had never even heard of Menards until just now, whereas Home Depot and Lowes are both nationwide.

That is not to say Menards can't be as good as the other two... it probably is as good, or better (just like Wegmans is superior to all other grocery stores even though much of the nation has never heard of it  :-P)

SP Cook

I think this is just closing a few poor performing stores, rather than something about a changing retail market.

Many of the things HI stores sell are "internet proof".  For example if you need a small part to repair your sink, you are going to buy it locally and fix it today, not order it in the mail.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 05, 2018, 03:26:57 PM
That is not to say Menards can't be as good as the other two... it probably is as good, or better

It isn't.  Menards is cheap.  For some products, that might be what you're looking for, but others not so much.

The constant slogan is "save big money at Menards".  Not the slogan of a quality-driven company.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2018, 03:44:55 PM
That is not to say Menards can't be as good as the other two... it probably is as good, or better

It isn't.  Menards is cheap.  For some products, that might be what you're looking for, but others not so much.

The constant slogan is "save big money at Menards".  Not the slogan of a quality-driven company.

IMHO, they're better than Home Depot at most things (except appliances).  They seem to have a wider range of items, and even a real lumber yard in the back (as opposed to the few odd board Home Depot has lying around).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2018, 03:19:41 PM
Lowe's is really the third-place home improvement store of its type, behind Menards and Home Depot.  Around here, if there's a Menards, Home Depot, and a Lowe's, it's the Lowe's that closes.  Granted, Menards is privately-owned, but I get the feeling that the rankings are as follows:

1. Menards.
2. Home Depot.
3. Lowe's.
I really only go to Lowe's if I can't get what I need at HD.  The closest Menards is quite far, much farther than HD or Lowe's.

spooky

Quincy, MA? Good riddance. I had a terrible customer service experience there around this time last year when purchasing a new washer and dryer.

cjk374

Lowe's is notorious for piss-pitiful customer service around here. The only qualification you need to work at Lowe's is "have a pulse."
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

HD is said to be the top hardware/home-improvement chain, with Lowe's at #2, but it's not the case around here at all. There are far more Lowe's stores than HD locations. I'm not sure if that has to do with our proximity to their HQ state (North Carolina) or what, but one would be hard-pressed to drive through Kentucky and think HD was bigger than Lowe's.

Home Depot was a late entrant into Kentucky, however, and the store in Frankfort opened and closed within a very short timeframe.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on November 05, 2018, 08:32:03 PM
HD is said to be the top hardware/home-improvement chain, with Lowe's at #2, but it's not the case around here at all. There are far more Lowe's stores than HD locations. I'm not sure if that has to do with our proximity to their HQ state (North Carolina) or what, but one would be hard-pressed to drive through Kentucky and think HD was bigger than Lowe's.

Home Depot was a late entrant into Kentucky, however, and the store in Frankfort opened and closed within a very short timeframe.

Lowe's is king in eastern NC. HD opened stores there roughly 10+ years ago and Lowe's creamed them big time. Locals are die-hard Lowe's fans. Hell, HD opened a brand new store in Wilson, NC in 2008 and it barely lasted a year (closed January 2010). That building is now a Hobby Lobby. All the HD stores in eastern NC are closed now.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

KEVIN_224

My brother works for a Lowe's in Connecticut. The store along US Route 1 in Orange will be closing soon.

jp the roadgeek

The Orange, CT one that is closing is kind of in an out of the way area of the retail strip down near the West Haven line on route 1.  There are 2 within 12 minutes of me; one in my town and one in the next town over that are both remaining open.  We already had one in Meriden that was a renovated and expanded former Ames location that came and went in about 2 years, and has sat vacant now for about 7.  In addition to the Lowe's in my town, we have not 1, but 2 Home Depots on opposite sides of town.  My business partner's brother took a job at Lowe's about a year ago after getting a retirement buyout package from his old company, and has already worked his way up to department head.  At least his location is surviving.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

1. Menards.
2. Home Depot.
3. Lowe's.

Menards isn't even #3, dude...
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kevinb1994

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 05, 2018, 10:14:01 PM

1. Menards.
2. Home Depot.
3. Lowe's.

Menards isn't even #3, dude...

Ace Hardware is the one I was going to mention. Thanks. Anyway, we've got more Home Depot locations here than Lowe's due to the proximity to their home base in ATL.

jeffandnicole

They're usually country-wide or world-wide numbers...rarely do they compare relatively small areas.  Lowes definitely is bigger around their headquarters; I'm sure Home Depot probably has the same distinction around theirs.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 05, 2018, 10:22:08 PM

They're usually country-wide or world-wide numbers...rarely do they compare relatively small areas.  Lowes definitely is bigger around their headquarters; I'm sure Home Depot probably has the same distinction around theirs.

Yeah Home Depot is big here in the Deep South. More of their stores here than Lowe's.

briantroutman

I have to disagree with those who claim a big difference between Home Depot and Lowe's.

Though I generally don't prefer to support national big box category killers, I've been in several Home Depot and Lowe's stores in California, Florida, and Pennsylvania when I was in need of something I couldn't get at a local store or picking up supplies at a late hour when smaller independent hardware stores are closed. And in my opinion, I'd be hard pressed to find two retail chains that are more similar than Home Depot and Lowe's. From the product assortments to the layouts of the stores to the indifferent and often incompetent service, they're virtually identical. In fact a few times when I've wanted to return an unneeded item but no longer have the receipt, I've been stumped trying to figure out which of the two I purchased it from–and don't want to be embarrassed trying to return a Lowe's item to Home Depot.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 05, 2018, 03:01:45 PM
The store closures are very sporadic.  The only one in my 4 state area (PA, NJ, DE, MD) to close is in Shippensburg.

And that surprised me considering that the corridor from Chambersburg through Shippensburg has shown fairly strong growth in recent years. I would have expected a Lowe's in a declining area like Johnstown or Uniontown would have been a more likely target for closure.

jp the roadgeek

Don't even have any Menard's in the northeastern US.  Nearest one to me is in Warren, OH.  Ace stores around here are pretty much confined to the old locally operated mom & pop hardware stores, many of which used to be True Values, who seemed to pull operations out of New England about 15 years ago.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kevinb1994

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 06, 2018, 12:00:43 AM
Don't even have any Menard's in the northeastern US.  Nearest one to me is in Warren, OH.  Ace stores around here are pretty much confined to the old locally operated mom & pop hardware stores, many of which used to be True Values, who seemed to pull operations out of New England about 15 years ago.   

Yeah it's the same situation here, no Menard's in the southeastern US and the closest one is in Lewis Center, Orange Township, Ohio.

Beltway

There is a Lowes store 1 & 1/2 mile from my house.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kevinb1994

Quote from: Beltway on November 06, 2018, 12:09:18 AM
There is a Lowes store 1 & 1/2 mile from my house.

Closest Lowe's store near here is about five miles out. Home Depot's closest store near here is about 3.2 miles out.

DaBigE

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2018, 03:44:55 PM

Agree 110%. Especially true for tools - house brands for Menards and Home Depot aren't even close. Menards likes to bully municipalities around. If they don't get their way, they threaten to close up and build in the neighboring town and leave a giant empty store in its wake. While not likely unique to Menards, they've also been in trouble for numerous environmental messes as well. Avoid them like the plague for any car care products.

Menards does have a few pluses over HD - lighting and electrical parts, landscaping materials, and lumber (just be sure to inspect it before you drive away). They also have a small mattress department -- mostly Serta products they have made especially for Menards.

As for Lowes, it's hard to say...they don't have any stores in the Madison-area (but they sure like to advertise around here). The closest one is 65 miles away. We do enjoy browsing there, but I honestly can't remember the last time we bought something there.

Employees are interchangeable idiots for the most part...3-way tie in my book. If you want any real advice, go to a neighborhood hardware store.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.