News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cheesy/Downright awful local ads

Started by CapeCodder, October 28, 2018, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2018, 02:55:20 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 29, 2018, 12:57:40 PM
That old car is worth money!

Victory Auto Wreckers got their money out of that ad.  It ran for three decades, starting in 1985.

The commercial was Chicago TV comfort food, in a way.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

tchafe1978

It seems that used car dealers have a common theme of having annoying as hell TV ads. In Madison, WI, Mad City Mitsubishi (formerly Mad City Auto before they became a Mitsubishi dealer) takes the cake. "It's a crime to pay more than a dime." "It's Mad City Mitsubishi's famous Nickle Pickle sale!" Honestly, the ads were worse before they became a Mitsubishi dealer. And the thing about these ads and their business model, is you know they're targeting people who are lower income and/or have poor credit in an almost predatory fashion.

https://youtu.be/LfnUJ3evGFY

https://youtu.be/3OMSX7y0K2o

https://youtu.be/5fsM-IX1ufg

https://youtu.be/7VZLo6QVzqI

hotdogPi

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 29, 2018, 04:30:52 PM
"It's a crime to pay more than a dime."

I've heard it here, too (on radio). It's not local to Wisconsin.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

inkyatari

RobbieL2415

Quote from: bing101 on October 28, 2018, 09:07:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzU3xyEgJs

Here is the tackiest ad of this decade and it is the Celino and Barnes ads.
They are a national firm though.

cl94

Quote from: 1 on October 29, 2018, 04:36:40 PM
"It's a crime to pay more than a dime."

I've heard it here, too (on radio). It's not local to Wisconsin.

We get that here, too. Again, mostly radio ads. Most markets have one dealership that does that.

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 29, 2018, 04:39:54 PM
Quote from: bing101 on October 28, 2018, 09:07:33 PM
Here is the tackiest ad of this decade and it is the Celino and Barnes ads.
They are a national firm though.

Incorrect. Cellino & Barnes is only in New York. The Barnes Group (run by Barnes) is in California.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

It seems that used car dealers have a common theme of having annoying as hell TV ads. In Madison, WI, Mad City Mitsubishi (formerly Mad City Auto before they became a Mitsubishi dealer) takes the cake. "It's a crime to pay more than a dime." "It's Mad City Mitsubishi's famous Nickle Pickle sale!" Honestly, the ads were worse before they became a Mitsubishi dealer. And the thing about these ads and their business model, is you know they're targeting people who are lower income and/or have poor credit in an almost predatory fashion.

https://youtu.be/LfnUJ3evGFY
The first one there is JUST like the radio ads for Foggs, all the way down to the voices, music, and the $350/week $30,000/credit thing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

Bob's Discount Furniture started out as one store in Newington, CT in 1990. It was up by Kitt's Lane off the Berlin Turnpike (US 5/CT 15). The current store is a mile and change south, on the southbound side. The woman in most ads is Kathy. I don't think she was with him on a personal level. I think their current base is somewhere in Manchester, CT, visible to the right from I-84 East, maybe a mile before you reach the Vernon town line.

A long running radio series here which gets on my last nerve is for Kia of East Hartford, CT. Their ads always feature a Trump impersonator. WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford (102.9 The Whale - Hartford's Classic Rock) plays those ads incessantly!  :banghead:

OracleUsr

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 28, 2018, 06:09:37 PM
KRAAAAAZY KEVIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN POWELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Yes, he really says his name like this.  To explain, Kevin Powell is a Triad (NC basically Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point region) area automobile dealer who yells throughout his commercials.  His voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

abefroman329

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 30, 2018, 07:10:11 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 29, 2018, 04:38:04 PMAnd this beauty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAwOnhzhFIM
That's the greatest commercial in the history of commercials.

They could have given the Empire carpet guy a better line, but still it's awesome.

inkyatari

I've mentioned it before, but one of the greatest websites in the history of websites is http://fuzzymemories.tv The Museum of Classic Chicago Television, although they've branched out to a few other cities. Lotsa good classic commercials, TV shows, news reports..  Great stuff.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on October 30, 2018, 09:07:35 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 30, 2018, 07:10:11 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 29, 2018, 04:38:04 PMAnd this beauty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAwOnhzhFIM
That's the greatest commercial in the history of commercials.

They could have given the Empire carpet guy a better line, but still it's awesome.

It's still decidedly cheesy.  Wah, wha, wah, wah.

Thank you, I'll be here through Thursday!  Try the beef!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on October 29, 2018, 12:41:56 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 29, 2018, 11:43:14 AM
For Michigan, I can't stand the Sam Bernstein Law Firm commercials.
I don't know.  The wall-to-wall political ads here are particularly annoying to me this election cycle.  I cannot wait for November 7th.
I get sick of Lee Free too but the other Lawyer commercials don't bother me. Honestly I swear you can't be a Michigan resident and not know what 1-800-CALL-SAM means.

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman on October 29, 2018, 12:43:53 PM
WBZ Radio has increasingly had on-air personalities do ads for several local businesses, typically with the "I'm a customer, you should be one too."  angle.  This sort of thing rankles me, because it immediately raises the question "OK, what sort of break are you getting for promoting this service on the radio?"

But the latest cheesy ad I've heard is for the pending public stock offering from High Times.  The ad itself, which lasts about 20 seconds, isn't that bad.  But the 45 second disclaimer that follows it is downright hilarious.  For one thing, it starts with the warning "Do not purchase this stock unless you can afford to lose your entire investment."
I've heard those commercials on WBZ before. Ironically when every other 50,000 watt station is having trouble coming in at times WBZ is always coming in so I listen to that station a lot at night.

Rothman

Pieroway's commercials in western MA were pretty horrible...and then he started trying to come up with catch phrases:  "Hey, It's Your Money".  Ugh.

There was also a car dealership in Duluth, MN/Superior, WI called something luke Englebrecht or Egglebrecht (?) where a plodding spokesman said, "...where you, the customer, are number one."  My father-in-law was in a band and he saw the guy in the crowd at a concert.  He said the venue's name and repeated the infamous commercial line.  The guy left after the crowd snickered.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Bedding Barn, with stores in CT, MD, and FL, has had some pretty hokey, fast talking ads over the years.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

Quote from: vdeane on October 29, 2018, 08:33:48 PM
The first one there is JUST like the radio ads for Foggs, all the way down to the voices, music, and the $350/week $30,000/credit thing.

$350/week?  Talk about predatory.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

CapeCodder

There's one for Norm's Bargain Barn out in St. Louis. The guy (owner) and his "grandkids" are all dressed up like yokels.

cl94

Quote from: roadman on October 30, 2018, 01:06:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 29, 2018, 08:33:48 PM

$350/week?  Talk about predatory.

Well, if people have no credit, that's where predatory lenders come in.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

cl94

Quote from: Tonytone on October 30, 2018, 05:20:10 PM
800, 8 million. I busted out laughing for some reason.

The jingle flowed better when the guy's original NY firms had numbers that weren't 800-888-8888. The Buffalo office was 854-2020 (area code 716 went unsaid).

Tonytone

Quote from: cl94 on October 30, 2018, 05:35:46 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 30, 2018, 05:20:10 PM
800, 8 million. I busted out laughing for some reason.

The jingle flowed better when the guy's original NY firms had numbers that weren't 800-888-8888. The Buffalo office was 854-2020 (area code 716 went unsaid).
I seen the older commercial too. I can see why it was changed. But the voice they have sayin it is to funny. It just says it so random.

iPhone

webny99

Quote from: Tonytone on October 30, 2018, 05:38:44 PM
I seen the older commercial too.

Slightly off-topic... I have friends that say "seen" instead of "saw", too, and it bugs me! I thought it was just a Midwestern thing, but maybe not.

Tonytone

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2018, 08:21:12 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 30, 2018, 05:38:44 PM
I seen the older commercial too.

Slightly off-topic... I have friends that say "seen" instead of "saw", too, and it bugs me! I thought it was just a Midwestern thing, but maybe not.
Agreeable. Probably because I was posting the minute I had "seen"  the commercial. But It's correctly supposed to be "saw" . Even tho, Those two words sound alike.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.